Author Topic: DeMarcus Cousins was ejected in overtime  (Read 6626 times)

Re: DeMarcus Cousins ejected yet again
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 08:58:33 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
That's sooooo weak NBA and Stern. Clean it up! That was a borderline flagrant 1. This league is losing all credibility on these type of issues in my opinion. They need an overhaul of all the officials. For them to change this call to a flagrant 2 is BEYOND CONCERNING to me.

Especially when it is reviewed and upgraded.  In the heat of the moment is one thing.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm not a huge Cousins fan, but that call was bogus.  I almost feel bad for the kid.  Rondo and Cousins together would definitely make up the all time NBA No Respect team. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwu-6GxBHN4
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 09:19:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Cousins and Carter had gotten into it towards the end of regulation, so I have a hard time believing this was totally unintentional.

I was watching the game and didn't see what you're referring to.

Initially, the foul was ruled a Flagrant 1, but was upgraded to a Flagrant 2 after review.

What's being lost is that Cousins was absolutely dominant in this game. The Mavs had no answer for him in the post. Two things really stood out. 1 - He wants to ball in the post. He's not a reluctant Sheed type.  2 - The guy is a good and willing passer. He constantly passed to open teammates out of the post.
Cousins has long stretches where he shows you he has great instincts for the game.

Then he'll loaf in transition, yell at his coach, jack up 3 straight long pull up jumpers from 20 feet, and storm after a broadcaster after the game.

So yeah, mercurial is a good word for him. Another would be frustrating.

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 09:24:55 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Cousins and Carter had gotten into it towards the end of regulation, so I have a hard time believing this was totally unintentional.

Initially, the foul was ruled a Flagrant 1, but was upgraded to a Flagrant 2 after review.

What's being lost is that Cousins was absolutely dominant in this game. The Mavs had no answer for him in the post. Two things really stood out. 1 - He wants to ball in the post. He's not a reluctant Sheed type.  2 - The guy is a good and willing passer. He constantly passed to open teammates out of the post.

Cousins flopped on an offensive foul on Carter nd the two were talking to each other as they walked up the court.  Then, when Thomas banked in the tying three, Cousins was jawing at Carter as he walked to the Kings bench.

Cousins was a beast.  I'm starting to warm up to him.  It's too bad we can't get him.

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 09:29:32 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm not a huge Cousins fan, but that call was bogus.  I almost feel bad for the kid.  Rondo and Cousins together would definitely make up the all time NBA No Respect team. 

You mean the respect they (fail) to show the refs, and at times their teammates and coaches, right?

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 09:42:44 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

You mean the respect they (fail) to show the refs, and at times their teammates and coaches, right?

No, that wasn't what I meant.  I'm not saying that either guy has been perfect, but I really don't like the fact that the league seems to increasingly making their decisions based on reputation, and not on enforcing the rules of the game uniformly, regardless of reputation.

I don't like that. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 09:45:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Which means he is perfect fit for us, the league already hates him!

JK

yup... thought the same thing.

BS ..call ..more of a FLOP than anything...a very nice Lebron James imitation.  He basically was pushing him out of the way and ran over him.

1980 ...this barely would have been a foul .  Small guy is in the way of big and gets run over.  Happened every game.

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 09:52:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

No, that wasn't what I meant.  I'm not saying that either guy has been perfect, but I really don't like the fact that the league seems to increasingly making their decisions based on reputation, and not on enforcing the rules of the game uniformly, regardless of reputation.

I don't like that.

Well, I don't want to get into the argument on whether its right or wrong, but the bottom line is it is reality.  Players who do not show respect to the officials, will not get the respect in return.  Just like if you don't show respect to other people you work with, chances are, they will respond in kind.

Maybe its not right, but it is the way the world works, and until these guys get that, they are going to continue in the viscious cycle of imagining persecution and making it a self fulfilling prophesy.

The best thing that came from the Rondo suspension is that for the first time I can think of, his response to it was that "maybe I need to change".  That is a HUGE hurdle to get over for any young person, no matter what the circumstances.  Once you internalize that stuff, and realize that sometimes it doesn't matter what you think is right or wrong, what matters is what works, then things can change dramatically.

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Your just not gonna catch any breaks when you have a past like his

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 09:55:21 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
awesome. keep getting tossed, DC. increases the likelihood the Sonics will just give up and trade you....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 09:57:21 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Cousins flopped on an offensive foul on Carter nd the two were talking to each other as they walked up the court.  Then, when Thomas banked in the tying three, Cousins was jawing at Carter as he walked to the Kings bench.

Cousins was a beast.  I'm starting to warm up to him.  It's too bad we can't get him.

I didn't see it like that. Cousins caught the defensive rebounded and completely flopped. However, I saw him smiling as though he knew he got away with one. On Thomas' bankshot 3, I did see Cousins yelling. However, it wasn't at Carter, it was at the referees since it looked like Thomas was fouled on the play.

Yeah, a total beast. KG and Cousins high/low post tandem would be devastating. They would compliment each other so well. Plus, the interior passing of those two would be incredible to watch.

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 10:01:55 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I don't like that.

Well, I don't want to get into the argument on whether its right or wrong, but the bottom line is it is reality.  Players who do not show respect to the officials, will not get the respect in return.  Just like if you don't show respect to other people you work with, chances are, they will respond in kind.

Maybe its not right, but it is the way the world works, and until these guys get that, they are going to continue in the viscious cycle of imagining persecution and making it a self fulfilling prophesy.

The best thing that came from the Rondo suspension is that for the first time I can think of, his response to it was that "maybe I need to change".  That is a HUGE hurdle to get over for any young person, no matter what the circumstances.  Once you internalize that stuff, and realize that sometimes it doesn't matter what you think is right or wrong, what matters is what works, then things can change dramatically.

That's all fine and good, but I'd still like to see more consistent enforcement of the rules. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 10:17:26 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

I didn't see it like that. Cousins caught the defensive rebounded and completely flopped. However, I saw him smiling as though he knew he got away with one. On Thomas' bankshot 3, I did see Cousins yelling. However, it wasn't at Carter, it was at the referees since it looked like Thomas was fouled on the play.

Yeah, a total beast. KG and Cousins high/low post tandem would be devastating. They would compliment each other so well. Plus, the interior passing of those two would be incredible to watch.

Great point on the passing.

Re: DeMarcus Cousins was ejected in overtime
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Lets see if the league suspends him

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Sure doesn't take much for a flagrant 2 anymore.

The league would've had to come up with a whole new level of flagrant for McHale's clothesline on Rambis. Like, flagrant-7 or something.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis