Author Topic: Rondo trying to get rudy gay to boston?  (Read 3829 times)

Rondo trying to get rudy gay to boston?
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:47:58 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
OAKLAND, Calif. – Whether it’s close friend Rajon Rondo, Jarrett Jack, or other basketball colleagues, Memphis Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay has been leaning on his circle of NBA friends to get him through recent trade speculation.
While Rondo, according to Gay, is giving sound advice, the Boston Celtics guard can’t help being a little selfish.

“It’s hard to talk to [Rondo] because he is always saying, ‘We need you over here. We need you over here,’ ” Gay said. “So it’s not easy talking to him. But he’s being a friend, just telling me about keeping everything together and he makes you feel like you are still valuable.”
Gay, who is averaging 17.8 points and 5.8 rebounds, is being paid $16.4 million this season. Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski has previously reported that the Grizzlies have been shopping Gay to multiple teams, most notably the Phoenix Suns. By dealing Gay before the league’s Feb. 21 deadline, the small-market Grizzlies would rid themselves of the $17.8 million and $19.3 million owed to the seventh-year forward for the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, which could ease luxury tax concerns, depending on what Memphis receives in return.
Grizzlies big men Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol have also been mentioned in trade rumors, but Gay’s name has garnered the most attention. The Grizzlies have a new owner in Robert Pera and a front office led by new CEO Jason Levien, who both sat courtside during a 94-87 victory over the Golden State Warriors on Wednesday. Grizzlies management has been calling teams to gauge interest in Gay, but no trade is imminent, a source told Yahoo! Sports.

Gay, 26, said he would like to stay in Memphis, but added that he would be happy wherever he plays.
“I’m more than just a basketball player and wherever I am, or will be, or wherever I go, they are going to realize I’m more than just a basketball player,” Gay said. “I can give just as much as I did here, if not more.”
Gay said the biggest strain has been how the rumors have affected his family.
“People don’t understand that we do have families, we do have personal situations we have to deal with while trying to be productive on the court,” Gay said. “Your family is calling saying, ‘What is going on? What is going on?’ I just tell them, ‘Don’t worry about it.’
 “That’s the biggest thing. The more people talk about it, the more I think about it, because I don’t talk about it at all.”
[Also: Jeremy Lin's marketability taking a serious hit]
Jack, a valuable reserve guard for Golden State whose been traded four times in an eight-year career, has been key in helping Gay cope with the distractions.
 “There are different emotions that play into it, but I don’t think it plagues him too much,” Jack said. “Basketball is always a safe haven for all of us. He’s going to be able to focus on the task at hand and be that player we’ve seen for seven years now.”
The Grizzlies (23-10) have the Western Conference’s fourth-best record and are 2½ games behind the San Antonio Spurs in the Southwest Division. Memphis has won four of its past five games and went undefeated on a three-game road trip that concluded Wednesday. If the team stays intact, Gay believes the Grizzlies will be title contenders.
 “We can’t control [what trades happen], but if [the roster’s core remains] we have a chance to be special,” he said.

Re: Rondo trying to get rudy gay to boston?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
I read this earlier, and I gotta say I really don't get it. The one thing this team doesn't need more of is wing players. We need more bigs and ball handlers.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
He better be careful because he'd be the one to go in order to get Gay here
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:52:48 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
it's a shame it's not MEM moving to Seattle instead of SAC. 

that's a solid squad in MEM and no one shows up to watch them.  no way they'd be doing this if they were selling tickets.  at least SAC still has a fan base...

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
i didnt know Gay is only 26, lol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 07:57:33 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
To get Gay, Cs must send 2 good players to Memphis

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:22:55 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
Sure we can trade green and bass for Rudy and hadaddi
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:46:17 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

that's a solid squad in MEM and no one shows up to watch them.  no way they'd be doing this if they were selling tickets.  at least SAC still has a fan base...

Memphis has one of the best fan bases in the NBA.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 08:47:54 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I can only imagine what Rondo has been saying to Josh Smith.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 08:51:07 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
It still baffles me that Memphis is trying to trade Gay. Aren't they one of the best teams in the league?

Anyway Gay is a pipe dream. Memphis can get much better value elsewhere. Forget about him before you hurt yourself.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 08:52:54 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Great point actually.

i didnt know Gay is only 26, lol

Another great point. Had no idea.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:11:10 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Memphis has one of the best fan bases in the NBA.

Yup. I think Dub must have them confused with Atlanta's fans.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Memphis is only moving Gay to either get better or save money. We can't help them there.

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:19:14 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

lol... if this happens  ;D oh my!

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 09:54:43 PM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55

lol... if this happens  ;D oh my!

Rondo and Green for Conley and Gay? Wow!  ;D