Author Topic: Chad Ford: "I'd be shocked if Celtics didn't get something done."  (Read 24616 times)

Re: Chad Ford: "I'd be shocked if Celtics didn't get something done."
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
I'd be shocked if they didn't get something done. May or may not include Rondo, but the Celtics are looking for a youngish player to fill out their front line.

Sounds like every other trade deadline the Celtics have had since the 2008-09 season. Wouldn't be the same without a million Rondo trade rumors going around...Rondo for Tyreke Evans, Rondo/Scal for Conley/Gay, Rondo/Ray for Rip/Prince/Stuckey, Rondo/Ray for Amare/Barbosa, Rondo/Green for Westbrook/Perkins (lol), Rondo for CP3, Rondo for Pau, Rondo for Curry, Rondo for *insertplayerofchoice*

After all of the false alarms over the years, I think I'd be completely shocked if he ever was really traded.

kings would rather take Bradley and Sully vs Rondo alone for cousins

I completely disagree, I think the trade talks with Sacramento begin and end with Rondo. I'm sure Danny has tried offering some combo of Sully/Bradley/Melo, but I'd be shocked if that was actually enough. Sullinger and Avery are valuable, but not enough to bring in a potential franchise player like Cousins.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:09:27 PM by ejk3489 »

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 07:43:18 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
I doubt any big name player in the NBA gets dealt..u may see a journeyman or two moved but thats it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 07:44:58 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Anything where Rondo leaves town, we might as well rebuild, IMO.

Agreed. I don't think Pierce and especially Garnett would take a Rondo-trade too well. Rondo may possibly get dealt when Pierce and Garnett retire. Rondo thrives in the postseason and makes Celtics playoff games fun as heck to watch.

I'd prefer to send Bass and Green, along with a pick or two, out at this point.

Assuming they themselves are not tired of Rondo's act.

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 07:48:02 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Why trade an All Star for a 'youngish big' when we already have one stashed away whose dropping 14 block trip-dubs for the Claws?  Said it before, will say it again.

Fab Melo is for real. 

He's on the Steamer plan, just like Sully's on the Baby/Powe plan.  Danny & Doc are just sticking to their winning formulas.

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Brandon Bass is a goner, that's all I know. With the emergance of Sullinger Bass is the odd man out seemingly.

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 07:57:59 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
kind of encouraged by the "youngish" part
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 08:10:44 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I'd be shocked if Chad Ford could be any more vague and wishy washy.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
kings would rather take Bradley and Sully vs Rondo alone for cousins

But i will tell you one thing, Sac is going to make a huge change to their lineup by the trade deadline. They have to win right now, or else keep losing like they always do, have empty seats and get ready to move to seattle.

They have a dysfunctional team imo ,need new players and a decent pg.

Gone by trade deadline if possible - Evans, Salmons, Fredette, Marcus Thornton, thomas,chuck hayes, outlaw, garcia

gone only if its a deal they can't refuse: Cousins

Keepers: Thomas Robinson and Jason Thompson

These three guys, are the main guys they can build around. But man all of those players that need to be gone by trade deadline either are mediocre players or have some salary baggage tied to them. You almost have to deal cousins so, that you can have somebody take these guys too.

If we kept losing or playing 500 even with bradley , but bradley and sully (trade pieces) did quite well, i think we would be one of the teams definitely in line to get Cousins/Evans. But then we would also have to take on a Salmons, Hayes, Garcia, who knows.

But right now, i would be shocked danny would even trade bradley and sully for cousins.

A few teams i see having some nice pieces and making a run at cousins/evans

1. Denver : Cousins , Evans + pieces above
to Sac: Mcgee, Lawson , Chandler, Fournier + 1st round pick

2. Houston: Cousins , Evans + pieces above
to sac: Donatas Motiejunas, Toney Douglas, Royce White , Parsons , Patterson

Sac needs a decent pg as one of the key piece back.
Have you been reading up on what's been happening with the sale of the Kings? The are on the verge of being sold. Here's a couple of generalities about a team when a team is on the market and/or about to be sold:

1.) The franchise will get a better sale price if the team is under the tax line and even more if under the cap. Therefore, if teams are over the tax line or cap, while the team is for sale or about to be sold, trades that DO happen are trades that shed salary or committed salary in the future. The Kings are currently around the cap line and nowhere near the tax line. The only people I see them trading are long term large money contracts if they can get rid of them and reduce their future fiscal commitments.

2.) The franchise that is being sold that has a top ten player or lots of star potential young players will almost never move them before a PENDING sale as the future owners would want those assets on the team to develop or use as trade bait to shape the team they want.

3.) The above two generalities are even more of a guarantee to happen if the ownership is going to:
   A.) Move the franchise
   B.) Replace the coach
   C.) Replace the GM
   D.) All of the above

Sorry, but your scenario stands almost no chance of happening.

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 08:26:17 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Crazy blockbuster idea with Memphis...

Memphis trades:  Conley, Gay, Gasol
Boston trades:  Rondo, Bradley, Green, Melo

Boston would become:
Conley/Terry
Gay/Lee
Pierce/Gay
KG/Bass
Gasol/Sullinger

I'd do this in a second.  That is a fantastic defensive starting 5 with a ton of offensive punch.

Memphis gives up a lot, but they aren't getting anywhere near as good of a player back for Gay as Rondo from any other team and they also get Bradley who I assume has to be considered a hugely valuable piece around the league.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Why trade an All Star for a 'youngish big' when we already have one stashed away whose dropping 14 block trip-dubs for the Claws?  Said it before, will say it again.

Fab Melo is for real. 

He's on the Steamer plan, just like Sully's on the Baby/Powe plan.  Danny & Doc are just sticking to their winning formulas.

agreed.  geez call him up and let him get into the flow of things.  We probably got a diamond in the rough down their and we're doin nothing with him/

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 08:41:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Fab Melo is for real. 

agreed.  geez call him up and let him get into the flow of things.  We probably got a diamond in the rough down their and we're doin nothing with him/
We are doing something with him. We are developing him. In the NBA, if not ready, he will get lost, dominated and lose confidence if he isn't ready.

Doc and Danny have decided he isn't ready. They have a pretty dang good record regarding evaluating whether a young player is ready to play in this league or not. There are almost zero players that have ever gone on to disprove that Doc and Danny's evaluation skills in this regard are not extremely excellent.

Leave Melo where he is. Let him develop in the NBDL. When the team decides he is ready they will bring him up and use him.

My guess is he needs at least one entire year, one more entire off season with the coaches, one more entire Summer League and one more entire training camp before he will be close to being ready to contribute meaningfully to this team without causing serious setbacks to his game and psyche.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:19:22 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 08:50:47 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Unless we're getting back Lebron, Durant or CP3, Rondo is not being moved.  If you want to move Rondo for anything resembling Cousins + Evans/Jimmer/Thomas etc.  you are not very good at running an NBA franchise. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 08:53:53 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Crazy blockbuster idea with Memphis...

Memphis trades:  Conley, Gay, Gasol
Boston trades:  Rondo, Bradley, Green, Melo

Boston would become:
Conley/Terry
Gay/Lee
Pierce/Gay
KG/Bass
Gasol/Sullinger

I'd do this in a second.  That is a fantastic defensive starting 5 with a ton of offensive punch.

Memphis gives up a lot, but they aren't getting anywhere near as good of a player back for Gay as Rondo from any other team and they also get Bradley who I assume has to be considered a hugely valuable piece around the league.

I agree, Memphis probably is our best trade partner. I just don't think that it would be such a mega deal. Maybe Rondo Bass and Lee for Gasol,Conley and Allen?

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
You know, Chad Ford's been wrong. Plenty of times.

He thought Darko was going to revolutionize the game and thought Perk would bring nothing to the C's.

The draft is different from trade rumors but you see my point. Why can't we all relax? The Celtics are on a four game winning streak and are looking like they are getting their swagger back. Why so much discussion about something that most likely is not going to happen?

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 09:14:35 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Anything where Rondo leaves town, we might as well rebuild, IMO.

Agreed. I don't think Pierce and especially Garnett would take a Rondo-trade too well. Rondo may possibly get dealt when Pierce and Garnett retire. Rondo thrives in the postseason and makes Celtics playoff games fun as heck to watch.

I'd prefer to send Bass and Green, along with a pick or two, out at this point.

Assuming they themselves are not tired of Rondo's act.

true