Who says 'no'?

Phoenix Suns
16 (29.6%)
Boston Celtics
34 (63%)
Both say 'yes'
4 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who says 'no': Gortat, Beasley and Tucker for Green and Bass  (Read 14836 times)

Re: Who says 'no': Gortat, Beasley and Tucker for Green and Bass
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Don't think we really need gortat anymore

The Celtics will need to trade for a big player if they hope to have any chance of competing for a championship. A 4-game winning streak in January doesn't change that.

And Danny Ainge will be making that trade -- all that remains to find out is how good of a player we get, and who we give up in the process.

Its too bad because the only player I really want to give up at this point is Bass and he wont get us much in return at this point.

I like Lee playing together with Bradley in the back court.
Bradley and Sully are too good at a young age to give up on.
Rondo. End of discussion.
KG and Pierce arent going anywhere.
And I do like Jeff Green in his role if he can continue to have decent games.

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 11:31:31 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Don't think we really need gortat anymore

The Celtics will need to trade for a big player if they hope to have any chance of competing for a championship. A 4-game winning streak in January doesn't change that.

And Danny Ainge will be making that trade -- all that remains to find out is how good of a player we get, and who we give up in the process.

Its too bad because the only player I really want to give up at this point is Bass and he wont get us much in return at this point.

I like Lee playing together with Bradley in the back court.
Bradley and Sully are too good at a young age to give up on.
Rondo. End of discussion.
KG and Pierce arent going anywhere.
And I do like Jeff Green in his role if he can continue to have decent games.

I agree with you, all the way until Green. I'd still be very open to moving him in the right deal, but would prefer to trade Bass.

If the Cs are going to get a legit starting 4 or 5 -- even a "youngish" one as Chad Ford puts it -- they're going to have to be willing to be creative beyond just throwing Bass out there, especially if they won't trade Bradley or Sully in such a deal.

Thus my trade for Beasley, who easily ranks as the worst FA signing of last summer. A $$$ sensitive, rebuilding team like the Suns presumably hates having him on the roster... enough so to trade a Top-10 center to be rid of him, I'd imagine. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 11:34:40 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

DO YOU ALL HAVE AN ITCH TO TRADE PEOPLE? SERIOUSLY, GREEN IS COMING BACK TO FORM, BASS IS RETURNING TO HIS PREVIOUS WAYS, THEN WHY DO YOU WANT TO TRADE THEM?

EVERY GAME, WE WIN OR LOSE, THESE GARBAGE TRASH THREADS POP UP SAYING WE SHOULD THIS PERSON OR THAT. SERIOUSLY. DO YOU NOT HAVING ANYTHING BETTER TO DO?

Lol +1

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 11:38:27 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I was curious about Gortat but I saw nothing the other night to indicate he would help us.  Seems like a dime a dozen back-up center to me.  I liked Darko's potential to defend and fit in better.  Bring back DarkO!
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 11:45:09 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I was curious about Gortat but I saw nothing the other night to indicate he would help us.  Seems like a dime a dozen back-up center to me.  I liked Darko's potential to defend and fit in better.  Bring back DarkO!

Gortat had 12 pts on 50% shooting while grabbing 14 rebs, 5 blocks and 2 steals. He would be a very big piece to our front court.

Wouldn't give up Sully, Bradley or Green, but if we can get him for a package of Lee or Bass , Melo and a 1st I would be all over that.

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 11:47:16 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Beasley is the sticking point on this one.  he's bounced around the league for a reason.  I'd like to have Gortat but I think Green and Bass together is a little high of a price.  Tucker isn't enough of an incentive to also take on the Beasley headache.

I can't believe how terrible Beasley has become and how much he has fallen.

The best part of the Jeff Green dunk was watching Beasley get way down in a Bradley like stance, and Green just making one move to go by him, and Beasley just completely giving up on trying to defend him going to the lane.
It's hard to believe that this guy was once thought to be the building block to use with Wade in Miami and in just a few short years he's become another poster boy for the #2 pick bust hall of shame.

Re: Who says 'no': Gortat, Beasley and Johnson for Green, Bass, and Melo
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 09:46:27 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Felt like bumping this thread. I still believe PHX is one our 2 / 3 most likely trading partners.

One adjustment: Tucker is the kind of find that tends to stand in the way of deals like this. The team who has him very rarely wants to give up that diamond in the rough, especially when they're rebuilding. With Bradley and Lee on the roster, I don't think he's key to this.

So I'd adjust as follows:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a8cpl7w

To Boston: Gortat, Beasley, Wes Johnson
To Phoenix: Green, Bass, Melo

I believe both teams would need to seriously consider this.

Playoff line-up: Gortat starts at the 5, and Garnett at the 4. Sully is 1st off the bench in the front court, with Collins or Wilcox getting some minutes as needed depending on match-up. The other one is our last ditch / safety net.

Johnson backs up Pierce to the tune of 12 minutes a night, assuming PP is going to play about 35-36 a night in the playoffs.

In the bits I've seen him play, Johnson's defense has impressed me. Basically, Pierce is going to play the bulk of minutes regardless -- if Green can be used as an asset to net a 5, I'm comfortable with the risk of a guy like Johnson as a slight defensive downgrade. Neither guy can stop LeBron anyway -- no one can. I envision him making 2 3s a game and playing some D.

Beasley is a wildcard back-up. If the 2nd unit simply cannot score, I'd insert him in spots. Probably mostly as a 4, particularly against smaller teams. Yes, he's a defensive liability. But i still think there's a place for a bench guy who can and will get his own shot every time he hits the floor. He's there as that 10th, 11th guy. You have to take luggage if you're going to dish some -- Beasley is that guy in this deal. 

OK, now tell me how bad this idea is, because...

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:56:28 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Felt like bumping this thread. I still believe PHX is one our 2 / 3 most likely trading partners.

One adjustment: Tucker is the kind of find that tends to stand in the way of deals like this. The team who has him very rarely wants to give up that diamond in the rough, especially when they're rebuilding. With Bradley and Lee on the roster, I don't think he's key to this.

Playoff line-up: Gortat starts at the 5, and Garnett at the 4. Sully is 1st off the bench in the front court, with Collins or Wilcox getting some minutes as needed depending on match-up. The other one is our last ditch / safety net.

Johnson backs up Pierce to the tune of 12 minutes a night, assuming PP is going to play about 35-36 a night in the playoffs.

In the bits I've seen him play, Johnson's defense has impressed me. Basically, Pierce is going to play the bulk of minutes regardless -- if Green can be used as an asset to net a 5, I'm comfortable with the risk of a guy like Johnson as a slight defensive downgrade. Neither guy can stop LeBron anyway -- no one can. I envision him making 2 3s a game and playing some D.

Beasley is a wildcard back-up. If the 2nd unit simply cannot score, I'd insert him in spots. Probably mostly as a 4, particularly against smaller teams. Yes, he's a defensive liability. But i still think there's a place for a bench guy who can and will get his own shot every time he hits the floor. He's there as that 10th, 11th guy. 

Have wanted Gortat since he was a FA refugee from Orlando. He is on a bargain contarct for someone with his skills and attitude.

+1 for the work before and now that you put into the trade idea. I like it.

Also, the topic seems like a rhetorical question, but there is a poll. If it is a poll, it should have "Neither Says No" as a choice, so I didn't vote.

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Also, the topic seems like a rhetorical question, but there is a poll. If it is a poll, it should have "Neither Says No" as a choice, so I didn't vote.

Excellent point. I've added that option, though at this point it's going to be a little skewed since this is an old thread.... not that I expect that many folks would have chosen it anyway!
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Excellent point. I've added that option, though at this point it's going to be a little skewed since this is an old thread.... not that I expect that many folks would have chosen it anyway!

Thanks...I just did my civic duty!

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Beasley is the sticking point on this one.  he's bounced around the league for a reason.  I'd like to have Gortat but I think Green and Bass together is a little high of a price.  Tucker isn't enough of an incentive to also take on the Beasley headache.

I can't believe how terrible Beasley has become and how much he has fallen.

The best part of the Jeff Green dunk was watching Beasley get way down in a Bradley like stance, and Green just making one move to go by him, and Beasley just completely giving up on trying to defend him going to the lane.
It's hard to believe that this guy was once thought to be the building block to use with Wade in Miami and in just a few short years he's become another poster boy for the #2 pick bust hall of shame.

It is quite amazing how much Beasley's stock has actually dropped. He can hardly get minutes on the Phoenix Suns for cryin out loud.

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Thanks...I just did my civic duty!

cool - tp.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

deleted.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Beasley is a wildcard back-up. If the 2nd unit simply cannot score, I'd insert him in spots. Probably mostly as a 4, particularly against smaller teams. Yes, he's a defensive liability. But i still think there's a place for a bench guy who can and will get his own shot every time he hits the floor. He's there as that 10th, 11th guy. You have to take luggage if you're going to dish some -- Beasley is that guy in this deal. 

Unless Fab's stock is really high, which I don't think it is, I really don't want to just throw him in to every trade as filler. We didn't take him because he was the sexiest player available. We would have taken PJ3 if that were the case.

I would probably consider Green/Bass for Gortat/Beasley plus any minor filler if necessary[Collins]. I really think that Phx is getting the better players, but we would be filling a need. I still think Beasley could excel in the right environment, but I am probably in the minority with that opinion.

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I just say NO to Beasley ..PERIOD.... don't want him in any deal for anybody that land s him on the Celtics.