Author Topic: +/- interesting stats so far in the season ( J.Sullinger )  (Read 5829 times)

+/- interesting stats so far in the season ( J.Sullinger )
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I was looking in the +/- stats and realize something interesting, see your self...

best 5 player combination for Celtics

K.Garnett, J.Terry, J.Green, C.Lee, J.Sullinger  +42  60min

best 4 player combination

K.Garnett, J.Green, C.Lee, J.Sullinger   +74   159min

best 3 player combination

K.Garnett, C.Lee, J.Sullinger    +81   217min

best 2 player combination

K.Garnett, J.Sullinger   +101   283min

best 1 player

J.Sullinger    +68    670min

So J.Sullinger is in all best combinations. Our best +/- player and when KG and Sully are together they are +101 and second best is +55. This is another pointer how good Sully is and he is getting better every day. Sullinger and Bradley my favorite Celtics, after KG ofcourse. Go Celtics
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 12:27:21 PM by vgulab »

Re: +/- interesting stats so far in the season
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Interesting stats.

Sully has to be starting IMO.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:27:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sample size for +/- to be meaningful must be much larger than what we have right now.

Re: +/- interesting stats so far in the season ( J.Sullinger )
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
I'm not saying this stats are all that matters and that we can learn everything about our team but one thing is very clear to me. When KG and Sully are together on the court this team is much much better.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:36:01 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Sample size for +/- to be meaningful must be much larger than what we have right now.
40 games isnt meaningful?

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
For +/- (and its better cousin adjusted +/-) your sample size of minutes needs to be pretty large, entire seasons and more large frequently. Thousands and thousands of minutes worth of data.

Otherwise its subject to so much noise to render it completely unreliable.

Unadjusted +/- is already unreliable no matter the sample size due to teammate and lineup effects.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 12:46:20 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Interesting stats.

But his best lineups are all with other bench guys (Lee, Green, Terry). Doesn't that mean we want to keep him with those guys, if Terry/Lee/Green play better with him on the court than without?

They're not mutually exclusive, of course, but I think the best role for Sully is off the bench, but at around 30mpg.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Interesting stats.

The only reason Sully isn't starting is because Bass currently needs to play as well, and by playing him with the starters, you can likely get more out of him, while Sully seems to be able to play well, regardless whether he is starting or coming off the bench. 

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 12:48:49 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Interesting. Ive said all along that Sully should be starting alongside KG and that Bass fits better with the second unit. But Doc has seemed to find some sort of rotation that is working so I dont want to mess with what he's got going on.

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Interesting stats.

The only reason Sully isn't starting is because Bass currently needs to play as well, and by playing him with the starters, you can likely get more out of him, while Sully seems to be able to play well, regardless whether he is starting or coming off the bench.
agreed
to me if bass can play good defense and rebound then he doesn't need to score 10 its

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 12:53:16 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
For +/- (and its better cousin adjusted +/-) your sample size of minutes needs to be pretty large, entire seasons and more large frequently. Thousands and thousands of minutes worth of data.

Otherwise its subject to so much noise to render it completely unreliable.

Unadjusted +/- is already unreliable no matter the sample size due to teammate and lineup effects.

While you're right in principle about small samples, it's unlikely that the randomness you're talking about is driving the overall pattern of all lineups, which shows that nearly every good lineup has Sully in it.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusminus/plusminus_sort.jsp?pcomb=5&season=22012&split=9&team=Celtics

(Think about the difference between the odds of getting heads on one coin flip, and getting heads on 17 or more out of 20.)

Also, I'm not sure what is the basis for your claim that you need "thousands" of minutes. The sample size necessary depends on the hypothesis one is testing.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 12:54:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Interesting. Ive said all along that Sully should be starting alongside KG and that Bass fits better with the second unit. But Doc has seemed to find some sort of rotation that is working so I dont want to mess with what he's got going on.
Why, just to make sure we've got prolonged stretches of time with neither Garnett nor Sullinger on the floor? :P Not the greatest rotation plan.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree with Faf that it's too small of a sample.  However, it's definitely encouraging, and Sully should definitely be starting.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Those pairings are for 5 or so minutes a game. It's probably something like near the end of the 1st and 3rd quarter, where KG comes back in and they're playing against the other team's backups.

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 01:00:11 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford

Those pairings are for 5 or so minutes a game. It's probably something like near the end of the 1st and 3rd quarter, where KG comes back in and they're playing against the other team's backups.

still the second best 2 player combination behind KG and JS is +55 and it's almost double less than +101 for KG+JS