Author Topic: Greg Oden hopes to join a team before end of season  (Read 15862 times)

Re: Greg Oden hopes to join a team before end of season
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
In a heartbeat, as long as its a 2 yr vet min.

Oden (or his agent) would be a moron to accept that deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 12:35:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

If he is signing this season, it will likely be all he can get.  It will more likely be a team option for next year though. 

Teams will want to take a look at him this spring, and then basically give him next year to show he is an NBA player, before they really invest.

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Indiana (home roots) and Memphis (Conley connection) seem like two potential landing spots. Oden would only have to serve as the 2nd or 3rd string center behind established starters.

I still think a rebuilding team like Cleveland would also be a good spot for Oden to break back into the league.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I'm not sure he'll get offers for more than that.

Why would a team sign him without another year on the deal? Maybe he gets more than the minimum, but he'll be forced to take a two year deal.

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I can think of worse actions to take than taking a flyer on Oden on the cheap. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 12:52:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah I wouldn't hesitate to do this at all. There is really no harm in it. 2 yr vet min deal. Let him play a few minutes off the bench. If he gets hurt oh well. If not it could be a huge addition for us.

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Indiana (home roots) and Memphis (Conley connection) seem like two potential landing spots. Oden would only have to serve as the 2nd or 3rd string center behind established starters.

I still think a rebuilding team like Cleveland would also be a good spot for Oden to break back into the league.

Memphis would be a great destination for him. They need a back up center like whoa. They are thin in the front court and having the moral support of his boy Conley might be huge for him. I dont know if the cash strapped Grizz go for it though.

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 12:54:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah I wouldn't hesitate to do this at all. There is really no harm in it. 2 yr vet min deal. Let him play a few minutes off the bench. If he gets hurt oh well. If not it could be a huge addition for us.

Yeah, exactly.  Also, in terms of fit, I'm not sure there's a team out there that could offer Oden a better opportunity to (1) play, (2) win, and (3) have a great environment around him.  Miami and possibly OKC would be pretty good options, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, exactly.  Also, in terms of fit, I'm not sure there's a team out there that could offer Oden a better opportunity to (1) play, (2) win, and (3) have a great environment around him.  Miami and possibly OKC would be pretty good options, too.

Wouldn't that be something? Oden & Durant on the same team.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Just on potentail yes, yes, yes, yes. He was always a Celtic deep down anyways....at least in my eyes. That draft lottery night was turrrrible...at the time.  :)

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 01:27:45 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I said this before and I will say it again.

Of course the medical staff needs to check him first. Even if his knees are injury prone, if the meds clear him, the Celtics should offer him a 3 year 15-16 million dollars off of his potential alone, with the 3rd year being a team option.

There will be a ton of deals out there, but this deal will be too good to pass. Although it's a very high risk thing to do, the reward would be oh so sweet if he turns out to be even just 85% of what he should.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100

Wouldn't that be something? Oden & Durant on the same team.

Didn't Jordan try to talk Bowie into joining the Bulls at the end of his career as well? Ironic.

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I said this before and I will say it again.

Of course the medical staff needs to check him first. Even if his knees are injury prone, if the meds clear him, the Celtics should offer him a 3 year 15-16 million dollars off of his potential alone, with the 3rd year being a team option.

There will be a ton of deals out there, but this deal will be too good to pass. Although it's a very high risk thing to do, the reward would be oh so sweet if he turns out to be even just 85% of what he should.
and where is that $ coming from   ::)

C's basically only have the minimum really available.  as mentioned elsewhere -- make it a 2-year deal only.  If he can play this year, it might require a little raise next year if he can stay on the court.  make the second year a team option as well

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
My question is:  how is Oden ever going to pass a physical?  Does he have to do that to sign a contract?  Look at what happened to Brandon Roy this year.  Sometimes, no matter what a guy wants, your body just fails you.

As far as I am concerned, Oden cannot survive the rigors of an NBA game, let alone 82 of them plus the playoffs.  If he comes back, he WILL get hurt again, that is a 100% certainty.

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 01:49:41 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'd love to give him a shot, but at no more than the vet min.

It's quite possible that there's some team out there that would give him more, but I think that would be foolish, because I'm pretty much expecting him to suffer another serious injury sooner or later.

If Boston could sign him at the vet min, and he could provide 15 minutes a game as KG's backup—with the smaller amount of playing time reducing his injury risk—then he could be the final piece of the puzzle, providing more rebounding, length, defense, and KG insurance.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis