Author Topic: Interesting quote i came across...  (Read 4994 times)

Interesting quote i came across...
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:48:21 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
That i happen to agree with. "Great coaches adjust their system to the players they have on the roster, not the other way around." I instantly thought of doc *And other average to bad coaches* when i read this, thoughts?

Re: Interesting quote i came across...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The thing is, Doc is a guy who adjusts to the players.  The problem (and benefit) with Doc is that he is excessively patient.  He has very little sense of urgency when it comes to working players in.  He believes in letting things slowly evolve, and having the players and the system meet in the middle.

That is what we are seeing right now. 

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
What's Doc's system, anyway? The team seems to be playing pretty standard basketball, people know their roles, and it seems to fit well. Sole exception I can think of is maybe JET, who is playing the poor man's Judas even though he has other strengths.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
What I'm seeing now is doc using terry like ray allen and not utilizing his strengths enough. Its driving me crazy. I don't think doc is bad but i don't think hes great either.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:58:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not sure whether you are being critical or praiseworthy of Doc.

Doc has definitely adjusted his system over the years depending upon personnel.

He was never a small ball type coach back in Orlando or even in most of his time here. But given the personnel Danny has brought in and the tendencies around the league, he plays a lot of small ball now.

He has an older core and because of that he preferred  a half court offense with the occasional fast break. He professes he prefers a fast break system but that he has never had the players to run that system, so once again he has adapted to which players he has.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:27:27 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The thing is, Doc is a guy who adjusts to the players.  The problem (and benefit) with Doc is that he is excessively patient.  He has very little sense of urgency when it comes to working players in.  He believes in letting things slowly evolve, and having the players and the system meet in the middle.

I totally agree with this.  While his patience has a tendency to frustrate fans, it has a proven track record of working out very well.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 12:00:30 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I still believe Doc prefers mediocre vets to rookies. It didn't take most of us long to realize Sully needed big minutes( as long as he could stay out of foul trouble). Took Doc about 3 months. Which goes back to your slowly evolving point.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 12:00:32 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
The JET thing is a little excusable because of the guard problems we've had, what with Lee playing like garbage (offensively), and Bradley being out. Now that AB is back and Lee found his mojo, perhaps JET will be able to lead the bench like he was supposed to, and we'll see more variety. He shouldn't be on the floor at the same time as Rondo, imo, which is what causes those endless screens.

Remember that Ainge picked up Terry partly as a response to Doc's request that he be given some personnel that could create. Last year we just had Rondo and Pierce. This year we have Rondo, Pierce, JET, Green, Barbosa, maybe Lee as well. So you have to believe that Doc was just waiting for the right pieces to come together.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 12:02:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
What I'm seeing now is doc using terry like ray allen and not utilizing his strengths enough. Its driving me crazy. I don't think doc is bad but i don't think hes great either.

I think he was early in the season (and that was driving me crazy too).  Over the last few weeks, that has stopped. 

And while I agree that Doc isn't great, I am not sure any coach is that great.  I believe in players more than coaches.  But Doc has been tremendously successful, and is one of the most respected coaches in the league, who is as much a recruiter as he is a coach. 

He has his flaws, just like every coach (including Popovic who is the most overrated coach on the planet...all due respect to Belichick).

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:02:28 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

I totally agree with.  While his patience has a tendency to frustrate fans, it has a proven track record of working out very well.
Patience is fine. I only have issues when i feel doc isn't putting his players in the best possible situation to succeed.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 12:05:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I totally agree with.  While his patience has a tendency to frustrate fans, it has a proven track record of working out very well.
Patience is fine. I only have issues when i feel doc isn't putting his players in the best possible situation to succeed.

Right, but this is a problem of perception in my opinion.  Because by being patient, and trying to integrate players into the system that is already in place, but then flexing as he learns more about their tendencies, I think he is putting them and the team in a position to succeed in the longrun.  Its just a painful process to watch sometimes.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

I still believe Doc prefers mediocre vets to rookies. It didn't take most of us long to realize Sully needed big minutes( as long as he could stay out of foul trouble). Took Doc about 3 months. Which goes back to your slowly evolving point.
Which reminds me, anyone know why AB only got 18 mins the other night?

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
As much as we don't like to admit it, Phil Jackson is probably the first person that comes to mind when most basketball fans think great coach.

Did he ever adjust his system?  He ran the triangle no matter what, with both the Lakers and Bulls, right?

How often does Jim Boeheim go away from the 2-3 zone?

I'm not from the old days, but how often did Red or Wooden adjust their systems?

I don't know how much the statement is really true.  I do think it's a strength to be able to adjust your system to the personnel, but I don't think it's necessarily a quality in great coaches.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:52 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I've noticed that the ball is is starting to be in Terry's hands with more frequency when he's out there with the second unit.  Like somebody already mentioned, now that Bradley's back and Jet's back to his bench role, it means more opportunity for him to be the best shot creator on the floor.  Obviously, when he's sharing the court with Pierce and Rondo that's not the case.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
These threads criticizing Doc seem too much like people won't know what they have until it's gone. I mean he is universally considered a top coach with popovich.

The fact that his players would take a bullet for him is good enough for me. Phil Jackson is considered one of the greatest coaches ever and he got embarrassed by Doc in 2008.

Doc was masterful in 2010. If not for injuries he probably has three rings.

He was great for the most part in Orlando where they had no one outside of T-Mac because all their money was invested in Grant Hill.

He's a fantastic coach and a true leader of men, plain and simple.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14