Author Topic: Who is Kevin Garnett? What has he done?  (Read 7865 times)

Re: Who is Kevin Garnett? What has he done?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 02:00:40 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
I think you can look up to KG and not have to defend yourself about it at all.

If the worst thing that people can say about KG is that he has said some mean things on the court, takes the occasional cheapshot while playing, and has gotten into with teammates, then you are describing every great player that has ever played the game.

I wish they would record the audio of every player that plays any sport at any level, and you honestly tell me that the type of talk that KG does is any worse than anything else that is being said.  It's trash talk, and that's it.  I metaphorically compare it to a comedian making jokes during his job.  Some jokes are very un-PC but it does not necessarily mean that the person feels that way.

People want to say KG is fake tough, and then they go crying to the media when he says something mean to them on the court.  Give me a break.  It happens in all sports...everywhere.  Guys like Carmelo and Villanueva are just being baby's when they take that stuff off the court.  If you are upset about it during the game, do something about it.  Win the game. Talk back.  Fight back.  But don't take it off the court.

KG is a good guy and a good person.  He has never had any off court issues, is a good family guy, and comes to work everyday.  All the other chatter that people say about him is no more significant than anything that is ever said on a basketball court.

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!

KG is a good guy and a good person.  He has never had any off court issues, is a good family guy, and comes to work everyday.  All the other chatter that people say about him is no more significant than anything that is ever said on a basketball court.

TP!

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 02:16:12 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I love how since we're now doing good ESPN wants to write good things about Garnett. I know he's respected by people who know basketball but guarantee that article would have had some cheap shots on him about huffing and puffing, oh he's too old, the Celtics aren't going anywhere. Blah bla blah.

Hop off the bandwagon can't get on it now.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 03:15:32 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
well.. you dont win this game throwing flowers in the road of the winners

Basketball like it is is a contact game
and usually contact comes with a heavy load of generated anger
Celtics are playing contact big men basketball....amazing...theyre winning.

Remember first game of Collins I loved it , yes Collins is a srub yadayadayada but people in the other team realize theres no an open sign there

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 04:08:40 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 04:15:20 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 05:39:12 AM »

Kiorrik

When I discuss him on a Dutch Forum (I'm from the Netherlands) some people who know pretty much about the game and history don't like him anymore, call him dirty, call him disrespectfull to other players etc... I'm always there and try everything to defend him.
Link me these forums - I'll help you out and defend him with ya ;)

I used to live in the Netherlands, moved to Australia!

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 06:10:54 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
One thing that is consistently not mentioned about KG is that he altered the NBA landscape for good when he skipped college to go to the NBA.  At the time, everyone went to college.  He was the first person to attempt the high school to pro route in a long time.

He started the wave of high school guys going to the pros.

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 07:07:02 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Haha I'm not too sure about that.  Dude has had a mistress since his days back in Minny.

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 07:24:48 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
The sad part is, while people are busy hatin' on KG, they are missing are a lot of other minute details in KG's game, stuff he does which enables his team to win basketball games. They really don't recognize that they're watching one of the all-time greats. A type of player that only comes around every 10 or 15 years and just dominates from day 1. KG pretty much did that. Still is, on this Celtic team. And some people, some casual fans, do not recognize it because they're busy spewing venom. That's sad. Just sad. Maybe they'll come around some day. One can only hope. Kevin Garnett's impact on the basketball court goes way beyond stat lines and you have to acknowledge that, whether you love KG or you hate him.

"They only hate you when you're fabulous."

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Haha I'm not too sure about that.  Dude has had a mistress since his days back in Minny.
Whaaaattt? How do keep that quiet in this day and age? Wife could divorce him, take $50 mill, the kids, and two houses

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 09:45:46 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
A cheap punk who is number 17 all time in scoring, 12th all time in rebounding, 19th all time in blocked shots, and 18th in steals.

Worst mouth in NBA history? Check. Cheap shot artist? Check. Bully? Check. NBA legend? Check.
So basically he would fit right in with Celts and Pistons of the 80s but is completely out of place in this corporate pretty boy era of guards you can't touch where the commissioner fines you for not wearing a tie. check.

Ironically KG being the first high schooler in a while to go pro ushered in this era as the next three high schoolers that followed him were Kobe, Jermaine O N, and TMac.

But then thooosse guys ushered in Kwame Brown, D Howard, Bron, and Melo.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 10:15:33 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
What really bothers me is the hypocrisy of people when talking about KG.

Everyone likes to say he is a "fake tough guy," all talk, and will never actually start anything. As if that is somehow a bad thing? How is not escalating trash talk into a brawl a NEGATIVE quality? If KG actually did start a fight, these same people would stop calling him a fake tough guy and would start calling him Ron Artest.

It's just a stupid excuse made up by people who don't like KG. And 100% of the time it is said by people who themselves would never start a fight, or probably even get into a confrontation in the first place.

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 10:18:03 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
What really bothers me is the hypocrisy of people when talking about KG.

Everyone likes to say he is a "fake tough guy," all talk, and will never actually start anything. As if that is somehow a bad thing? How is not escalating trash talk into a brawl a NEGATIVE quality? If KG actually did start a fight, these same people would stop calling him a fake tough guy and would start calling him Ron Artest.

It's just a stupid excuse made up by people who don't like KG. And 100% of the time it is said by people who themselves would never start a fight, or probably even get into a confrontation in the first place.

These are similar people who say athletes don't care about winning or team anymore, athletes are too buddy buddy, athletes won't commit to teams, and miss the "old school" hard nosed style.

Here is that player in the modern era and they all hate him.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 11:32:59 AM »

Offline LA_33

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9

Whaaaattt? How do keep that quiet in this day and age? Wife could divorce him, take $50 mill, the kids, and two houses
His wife almost certainly knows about any extracurriculars, and accepts it as the reality of herself and the kids living the "NBA wives" lifestyle.

It's probably safe to assume that a LOT of pro athletes "cheat" (or "open" relationships with mistresses on the side), it's just how these kinds of egos often work. 

- KG vs Tim Duncan. I cannot believe KG said something like, **** you mother****er on mothersday against Duncan? Does someone know a little more about this? Ofcourse there is this scene that he slaps Duncan on the back of his head.

As for this, the story as I've heard it is that the first time they played after Duncan's mother died, KG greeted him before the opening tip by saying "Happy Mother's Day!"

Which is freaking horrible, but also pretty epic trash talking. 

As for the LaLa/Melo stuff, unfortunately I know suspect that the "honey nut cheerios" comment probably didn't happen, but frankly I wish it had, because he pretty clearly said something to Melo about his (estranged) wife, but there's almost no chance that it was as funny as that probably-made-up line.