Author Topic: Who is Kevin Garnett? What has he done?  (Read 7858 times)

Who is Kevin Garnett? What has he done?
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
I make this topic to hopefully get some clear answers and to see what's your opinion about the following subject:

When I think of Kevin Garnett, I see he is my favourite player, I pretty much love everything about him. He is loyal, passion, pride, hall of famer so important for the current team, KG is a celtic and I'm super happy he will retire as a Celtic :)
Not only he is my favourite player but I also really look up against him on the way he lives. His work ethic, respect for family and friends, he helps everybody who is on your team etc..

When I discuss him on a Dutch Forum (I'm from the Netherlands) some people who know pretty much about the game and history don't like him anymore, call him dirty, call him disrespectfull to other players etc... I'm always there and try everything to defend him. Obviously he is not so much a fan favourite anymore around the NBA (ofcourse he is in Boston!). But the're are just a few incidents which I want to know a little more about.

- KG vs Tim Duncan. I cannot believe KG said something like, Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. you motherEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.er on mothersday against Duncan? Does someone know a little more about this? Ofcourse there is this scene that he slaps Duncan on the back of his head.

- The Villanueva scene, well alright he just called him a cancer to his team right (not so smart either with his hair sickness), he didn't call him a cancer patient?

- And then Carmelo, do you think he talked about his girlfriend, you cannot do that. But I believe KG when he says on his facebook that he didn't and got to much respect for that.

- And then there are some fouls like the on Frye in the groin area which is probably the ONLY thing I don't like about KG.

What do you think about all this things and Kevin Garnett his legacy.
I found a good article on nba.com today about it aswell...
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/01/09/blogtable-the-thing-about-kg/?ls=iref:nbahpt6f

I see him a my hero but I just hope he doesn't say such stupid things because that would me personally give him a little less respect. But I'm glad these things are just on the basketbal court and not like Kidd/Olajuwon who mistreat their wifes...

Hope to see some clear opinions and reactions! :) Celtics for life!!

Re: Who is Kevin Garnett? What has he done?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:13 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
he's simply not the golden child you think he is...he's got the worst mouth in the history of the nba, is a cheap shot artist, bullys lesser players, and was never a good teammate in Minnesota like he's praised for being here... but who really cares he's an all time great and mellowed considerably in recent years, has become a true legendary Celtic and a first ballot hall of famer...I find it infuriating he's praised for the same reason rondo is called a punk by his own fanbase

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
A cheap punk who is number 17 all time in scoring, 12th all time in rebounding, 19th all time in blocked shots, and 18th in steals.

Worst mouth in NBA history? Check. Cheap shot artist? Check. Bully? Check. NBA legend? Check.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:02:07 AM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Why do people care about his mouthing off & cursing other players? He curses himself out about 5-6 times a game which is just a way to keep himself invested in every game. He is a stickler to every detail & every play that happens on the court. I wish just 60% of the NBA cared as much as he does, if so, the NBA would have a great product all 82 games a year. Unfortunately that percentage of guys that care is about 25-30%!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:09:00 AM by KG_ended_Bias »

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Why do people care about his mouthing off & cursing other players? He curses himself out about 5-6 times a game which is just a way to keep himself invested in every game. He is a stickler to every detail & every play that happens on the court. I was just 60% of the NBA cared as much as he does, if so, the NBA would have a great product all 82 games a year. Unfortunately that percentage of guys that care is about 25-30%!

beautifully said.  tp.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think the cheap shot artist bully thing etc is just so overblown.

Competitive sports and your trying to get an edge. That sack tap is probably the most overblown thing in the world. That happens in the collegiate/high school level in different sports.

Im sorry but nothing in the NBA as far as "bullying" "cheap shots" I have ever thought of as being that bad at all besides the whole Artest incident.

The NBA is basically PG rated material and people get all up and arms.sometimes because its not G rated

And also I love how the previous 60 years are just ignored. Im sure way worse stuff happened but because it wasn't covered like today people just turn a blind eye.

Although I have heard a lot worse stuff come out of guys mouths like Isaiah Thomas and Karl Malone that were actually pre meditated.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:07:24 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
KG is the structure and backbone of a Celtics team making its 6th title run.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:20 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
An old school type of player.  People say they want it so bad but when one's in front of them so many hate him.

Oh well.  People are full of it, that's what I take out of that.

KG is what a basketball player should be.  There's really no other play I think I would choose if you let me choose any to start a team with.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 11:57:27 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
call him dirty, call him disrespectfull to other players etc...

This is part of why I like him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Kevin Garnett changed the culture of this franchise. His intensity, passion, and attention to defense and detail made all around him better. His unselfishness and belief in team caused guys to play for each other rather then themselves.

Kevin Garnett, IMO, is the biggest reason a banner was raised in 2008.

Many guys are good. Fewer are great. And Franchise players are rare. However only a handful of guys within in their generation are culture changers.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 12:24:20 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
he's simply not the golden child you think he is...he's got the worst mouth in the history of the nba, is a cheap shot artist, bullys lesser players, and was never a good teammate in Minnesota like he's praised for being here... but who really cares he's an all time great and mellowed considerably in recent years, has become a true legendary Celtic and a first ballot hall of famer...I find it infuriating he's praised for the same reason rondo is called a punk by his own fanbase

Where are you getting he wasn't a good teammate in Sota? All your other comments are positives in my opinion. The only thing I don't like about Rondo is when he isn't on the court...so he has to figure out how to stay composed enough for his TEAM in order to avoid suspensions.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 12:35:19 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Who is Kevin Garnett?

One of the greatest to ever play the game and a Celtic legend.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 12:56:02 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Kevin Garnett changed the culture of this franchise. His intensity, passion, and attention to defense and detail made all around him better. His unselfishness and belief in team caused guys to play for each other rather then themselves.

Kevin Garnett, IMO, is the biggest reason a banner was raised in 2008.

Many guys are good. Fewer are great. And Franchise players are rare. However only a handful of guys within in their generation are culture changers.

TP.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 01:40:28 PM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
OP,

Yes, Garnett is "dirty". He's done most of the things you've mentioned. The Duncan's Mom insult is not as definitive (don't think there's a video where we can lip-read or whatever). I'm pretty sure he called Villanueva a "cancer patient" - who says "you are a cancer to your team and our league" on a basketball court, unless they're an 18th-century British aristocrat?

He's elbowed people in the head, slapped them, tapped their nuts, undercut them etc. But players like Wade and Chris Paul have done the same. Think the reputation of him going after only small white guys is overblown - there are fights with Tim Duncan, Andray Blatche etc. who are neither white nor tiny. Though I guess small white guys are only ~10% of the NBA but make up ~50% of Garnett's fights.

Also, we gotta think about how today's NBA is a lot "nicer" than it used to be. Legends like Michael Jordan, Isaiah Thomas were known to be trash-talkers non pareil. Nowadays, any time a player hears something he doesn't like, he can tweet it immediately post game, which wasn't an option back then.

was never a good teammate in Minnesota

Idk about this. Only the time he punched out Rick Rickert agrees with your statement. Wally Szczerbiak didn't like him, but then he was a known whiner. Marbury, too, but that was more contract-related than KG-related. Everybody else who played on the TWolves loved him.

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 01:41:46 PM »

Offline igorsure

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
Nobody (other then Celtics fan )like KG, but everybody wants this type of player for their team.

And, yes, probably Carmelo is right, and some words should not be said in any case. You cannot insult people just because they are playing for the other team and you want to win the game. But who cares in "a-win-is-a-win" land?