Author Topic: Updates on both Wilcox and Melo  (Read 9999 times)

Re: Updates on both Wilcox and Melo
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 06:26:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Wilcox has taken a grand total of 60 shots on the season. Let's be real here.

And?

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

And?
And the fact that he's hit 15 of 25 jump shots so far is not exactly representative of anything.

Seriously, the discussion of who's the better offensive player is simply a nonstarter.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

And?
And the fact that he's hit 15 of 25 jump shots so far is not exactly representative of anything.

Seriously, the discussion of who's the better offensive player is simply a nonstarter.

May have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone here make such a claim.

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

And?

When I mentioned that Bass is unquestionably the better shooter, someone felt it was illustrative to point out that "40% of Wilcox's shots are jump shots, and he's hitting them at .700 eFG%". This is pretty meaningless when the sample size is 25 shots.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 06:47:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

And?

When I mentioned that Bass is unquestionably the better shooter, someone felt it was illustrative to point out that "40% of Wilcox's shots are jump shots, and he's hitting them at .700 eFG%". This is pretty meaningless when the sample size is 25 shots.

The fact is that Bass has sucked this year, and he's actually hurting us offensively at this point because he hasn't been making the shots, and compared to the two, Bass is of a higher usage rate, which is taking shots away from better offensive weapons.

When he's hitting the open jumpers, all is fine and dandy.

But Wilcox so far this year has been hitting his jumpers, is a stronger roller to the basket, positions himself better for easy baskets, and is better on the post than Bass.

So to me the classification of who's better offensively, is honestly irrelevant to me. Wilcox has been more useful to us on the offensive end this year despite his low contribution to it.

If you want to make that into some sort of claim that Wilcox is better offensively, then that's your prerogative because I certainly aren't doing it.

Wilcox is a role player, but not an offensive inept, and when playing with good players like we have on the Celtics team, he makes the most of his opportunities because he gets himself open around the basket, and when the pass is made, he usually converts since he has good hands and doesn't do excessive motions (goes quick to the basket). In my opinion when players like Garnett, Pierce, and Rondo are on the floor, I'd rather have Wilcox than Bass. Low usage, and coverts at a more efficient level, with good hands, and moves the ball better.

The point of me bringing up 41% jump shot selection was merely to illustrate that his high FG% is not highly inflated by open dunks.

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 07:10:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The point of me bringing up 41% jump shot selection was merely to illustrate that his high FG% is not highly inflated by open dunks.
You're trying to illustrate something that isn't true. Chris Wilcox has no game outside of 10 feet. If you think you can put him in and he can "hit his jump shots" the way that Bass does, it's not going to happen.

Wilcox is a garbage man whose only consistent offensive game comes when he's wide open around the hoop. When Rondo is not finding him, he's worthless offensively.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Chris%20Wilcox

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
You're trying to illustrate something that isn't true. Chris Wilcox has no game outside of 10 feet. If you think you can put him in and he can "hit his jump shots" the way that Bass does, it's not going to happen.

Wilcox is a garbage man whose only consistent offensive game comes when he's wide open around the hoop. When Rondo is not finding him, he's worthless offensively.

You're arguing points I'm not making. I agree Wilcox is a garbage man, and I'm saying I rather have that garbage man on our offense than Bass's offensive prowess, particularly when players like Rondo, Pierce, and Garnett are on the floor.

Hoopdata was a site I haven't used before, good info there on his jumpers.

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

wilcox is a garbage man but a hard working garbage man who is ready for any pass from rondo, runs the floor  and plays good defense
oddly enough i'd say sully is the best jump shooting pf we have (not considering kg of course) bass is  :-\ usually good within his range, sully shows near 3 pt range

if wilcox is back and can give us minutes at center then collins goes where he should 3rd string low post center
liking this full team, even if no moves are made, the bench is good enough to wear down any team while giving our starters rest for the end of games

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 07:22:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

You're arguing points I'm not making. I agree Wilcox is a garbage man, and I'm saying I rather have that garbage man on our offense than Bass's offensive prowess, particularly when players like Rondo, Pierce, and Garnett are on the floor.

Fair enough, yes. 82games.com has a weird definition of "jumper" (I guess it's a "jumper" when it's not a layup or dunk, even if it's from 2 feet out).

While I agree that there is some merit to having someone who's active around the basket, in my mind you just can't afford to keep Wilcox in, since he's pretty much given you nothing else.

Bass may be in a bit of a slump, but he's in to stretch the floor, and he's doing this as well as he's always done (his shot % from 16 feet and out is virtually unchanged).

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 08:02:06 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Fair enough, yes. 82games.com has a weird definition of "jumper" (I guess it's a "jumper" when it's not a layup or dunk, even if it's from 2 feet out).

While I agree that there is some merit to having someone who's active around the basket, in my mind you just can't afford to keep Wilcox in, since he's pretty much given you nothing else.

Bass may be in a bit of a slump, but he's in to stretch the floor, and he's doing this as well as he's always done (his shot % from 16 feet and out is virtually unchanged).

correct. it is not like wilcox has a post game.actually anything outside of 5 feet he looks bad on.  ;D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

What do you think they should call a shot from 2 feet out that is not a layup or a dunk?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 11:04:02 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28

What do you think they should call a shot from 2 feet out that is not a layup or a dunk?

Well there are also floaters, leaners, and post hooks to consider
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?