Author Topic: Updates on both Wilcox and Melo  (Read 10019 times)

Re: Updates on both Wilcox and Melo
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 12:08:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
good.  loving how the team is doing currently but would rather have Wilcox out there for some minutes than Collins.

Get Melo back to Maine to improve his game for a late season call-up next year.

I think that Melo will get the late season call up this year anyhow because doc will want another big body come playoff time, and will want Melo to be a part of the practices...although I wonder if the Red Claws make the playoffs how things would work, I would rather have him play meaningful minutes in high pressure situations than call him up and not play if we don't need him and Wilcox is doing fine.

But I am pretty excited for him if he can be ready by mid season next year to really help contribute.
Can only suit up 12 players per game so Melo will not dress for any games after the Red Claws are done for the year.  C's have 13 players under contract right now, including Melo, so before anyone thinks Melo sees the court, consider who's on the current roster that would be off the active roster in favor of Melo (or the more than likely situation of another vet signed after waivers)

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Can't wait for the return of Wilcox.

will he be a better rebounder and a shot blocker now after the injury??
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 01:22:50 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Those were never a big concern of mine. He's a PF who's been filling in as best as possible as a center. Have always felt he's a better option than Bass, particularly when paired with Sully. When he's paired with KG, they've constantly had some good defensive units.

So while I would like him to rebound better, he's a plus in my book, and very efficient offensively, especially this year.

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I guess it would be uncool to hire Varejao as Fab's coach for the rest of the year? ;D

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

Those were never a big concern of mine. He's a PF who's been filling in as best as possible as a center. Have always felt he's a better option than Bass, particularly when paired with Sully. When he's paired with KG, they've constantly had some good defensive units.

So while I would like him to rebound better, he's a plus in my book, and very efficient offensively, especially this year.

better than bass at what? rebounding? that is not saying much. scoring? i do not think so. Now if you mean better than bass at the 5 well then yes but i assume you were comparing them at the 4.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 02:08:40 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

better than bass at what? rebounding? that is not saying much. scoring? i do not think so. Now if you mean better than bass at the 5 well then yes but i assume you were comparing them at the 4.
He's better than Bass at running the floor and getting easy buckets. I think he's a better offensive rebounder and is also much better at getting open around the hoop.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Did I say he was better than Bass? I said he's a better option, as in a better fit for our team, a better role player than Bass.

Bass is only useful when he's hitting his jumper, which he hasn't done all season (he's gotten better in January, but still a bit inconsistent)... but even before then I've felt that Wilcox is a better role player for this team. He rotates defensively better, is bigger, and is a low usage player, moves the ball better. He positions himself better, has better hands which is a must when playing alongside Rondo, and in a team with plenty of PF options, Wilcox is simply the better option to have in my opinion.

Bass to me has always been a good fit off the bench, but this season that role hasn't been a really good fit for us, and he's not performing well there either.

Wilcox is better than Bass playing alongside KG, Wilcox is better playing alongside Sullinger. And in that end, that's really all that matters to me above anything.

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Yea, I agree. All he really does well is run the floor and finish alley oops. We need a interior presence on defense.

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

He's better than Bass at running the floor and getting easy buckets. I think he's a better offensive rebounder and is also much better at getting open around the hoop.
Wilcox has been a worse rebounder than Bass this season. He's not a better overall scoring threat, and he's not a better defender. I'm sorry, but I'd rather have Bass' jump shot rather than Wilcox's open dunk. Color me unimpressed.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 03:47:48 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Wilcox has been a worse rebounder than Bass this season. He's not a better overall scoring threat, and he's not a better defender. I'm sorry, but I'd rather have Bass' jump shot rather than Wilcox's open dunk. Color me unimpressed.

I'd rather have both of them.  It's not a versus situation. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Don't sell Wilcox short, he dunks well in traffic. I'd probably rather have Wilcox's more points per minute on a TS% of .736 compared to Bass's .494.

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Love the way Wilcox handles the 'oop'.  Good hands and a quick stuff. Would like to see him and Sully on the court together.

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Disagree on all points but rebounding, he needs to pick it up. Historically he's been a better rebounder than Bass, but Bass is not a good rebounder anyways, and I think playing Wilcox at his PF position could help him in that regard.

But Wilcox I don't see the issue with holding Wilcox positioning himself for easy scores against him. Also, 41% of his shots are jumpers, and he's hitting them at a 69% eFG%.

While you might not consider Wilcox a bigger scoring threat, fact is that Bass' offense has hurt us this year rather than help us. So I'll take Wilcox's contributions this year over Bass without a second thought.

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wilcox has taken a grand total of 60 shots on the season. Let's be real here.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

agreed.
LET'S GO CELTICS!