Author Topic: Rondo and Lee to Seattle. Proposal.  (Read 7909 times)

Re: Rondo and Lee to Seattle. Proposal.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 09:29:39 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
  Who gets technical fouls from the bench? 

Tim Duncan.

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:17 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
As much as I would want to say no, the Celtics would have to say yes. 

That is way to much talent coming back.  No way can I see the Kings pulling this trade.

Exactly. People think the C's say "no", but it's probably the Kings who refuse.
Petrie isn't the sharpest knife in the GM drawer.

But even he laughs himself silly over that one.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 09:40:22 AM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Know why his assists are down? Everyone is moving the ball. Know why his points are down, everyone is FINALLY finding their role on offense and are hitting shots. Know why his rebounds are down? A guy named Jared Sullinger grabs more than the rest of the team combined. Rondo's stats are down because we haven't needed him to do absolutely everything. He's our big gun. The person we can count on to go off for 44 in a big game if we need him too. He's not in a situation where he needs to do everything even when the team is clicking. Keep Rondo.

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 09:42:47 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Know why his assists are down? Everyone is moving the ball. Know why his points are down, everyone is FINALLY finding their role on offense and are hitting shots. Know why his rebounds are down? A guy named Jared Sullinger grabs more than the rest of the team combined. Rondo's stats are down because we haven't needed him to do absolutely everything. He's our big gun. The person we can count on to go off for 44 in a big game if we need him too. He's not in a situation where he needs to do everything even when the team is clicking. Keep Rondo.

Exactly. And if we can find a way to keep his minutes down to save hm for the playoffs like we did last night, all the better.

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 09:55:54 AM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
I like the general idea,  but I think throwing in Thompson makes this proposal too one side for the celtics.  Rondo Melo and picks to sac for cousins and Evans is more fair. 

I don't think anyone is dying to trade Rondo; however,  if a deal that improves the team for the long term is out there, you gotta do it. How it effect chemistry is a major concern,  but u have to make tough decisions sometimes

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
You guys have too much of a crush on Rondo.  He's a punk.  Who gets technical fouls from the bench?  I'd take a 6'11" punk over a 6'4" punk any day or the week.

good for you, you'll also be a lottery team

was kg a punk on the bench in the playoffs in a suit and grabbing his junk and taunting Ben Gordon and others? choose a lane
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:21:17 AM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 10:19:09 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I think Rondo is a good player and his recent play of lower individual numbers and better team numbers is a good sign for him and for the team.  He is finally getting it that he doesn't need to be the one to get all the assists.  Multiple passes are always better than one pass.

I don't think the Celtics would do this trade and not because I am against trading Rondo or becasue I don't think this trade represents good value for the Celtics.  I think it would be hard for the Celtics to make this big of a trade (we would likely be introducing 2 new starters) and still have the team "clicking" for the playoffs.  We just can't afford to take a step back mid season when the window is so short for this team.

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think Rondo is a good player and his recent play of lower individual numbers and better team numbers is a good sign for him and for the team.  He is finally getting it that he doesn't need to be the one to get all the assists.  Multiple passes are always better than one pass.

I don't think the Celtics would do this trade and not because I am against trading Rondo or becasue I don't think this trade represents good value for the Celtics.  I think it would be hard for the Celtics to make this big of a trade (we would likely be introducing 2 new starters) and still have the team "clicking" for the playoffs.  We just can't afford to take a step back mid season when the window is so short for this team.

If the Celtics had a conservative GM, I might agree with you. 

But I have no doubt Ainge would not be afraid to make such a deal if he thought it improved the teams talent.

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 10:25:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I really think there is something to the Rondo for Cousins framework of a deal.  I just am not a fan of the specifics of this one.  I particularly am not a Jason Thompson fan, hate to give up Lee, and don't think Isiah Thomas is a starting PG on a playoff team.

I think for a Rondo for Cousins deal to work (which is a very realistic possibility), it will have to either include Evans, who Danny may still love, Brooks (who I am not sold on, but perhaps Danny is??), or more likely, include a third team to send a starting quality PG to Boston.  One name that comes to mind is Darren Collison. 

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 10:29:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
  Who gets technical fouls from the bench? 

Tim Duncan.
Sam Cassell getting two and tossed the year he didn't even play was probably the one that made me giggle the most.

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I'd do it.

Trading Rondo would be easier to stomach if it's a complete blowup. I know people don't like it, but playoff Rondo would be missed.

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Something like this is what I would want. Obviously it would also include draft picks going a few directions, probably our 1st rd pick to Phoenix this year.

Boston:

Cousins
Evans
Gortat

Phoenix:

Bass
Melo

Sacramento:

Rondo

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6201209

We would probably have more of a motion/pass oriented offense as opposed to the PG dominant offense we seem to employ now. Plus, it would be safe to say that our rebounding woes will be gone.

Starters-
KG
Pierce
Cousins
Bradley
Evans

2nd Unit-
Sullinger
Green
Gortat
Terry
Lee

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 10:55:20 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Out Rondo and Lee and Melo. In Evans, I. Thomas, J Thompson, and Cousins.

If they want Green that's fine too. For the Sonics Rondo is the new Gary Payton in town and they want to builr around him a run and gun team.

It would give us an incredibly talented and deep team with no true point guard.

Cousins
 Garnett
 Pierce
 Bradley
 Evans

Thompson
 Sully, Bass
 Green
 Terry
 Thomas

You have to admit that's a ton of talent. All of a sudden we would have five quality bigs. Three of them 6'11".

Could you pass this up if the Sonics just had to have Rondo.

Couldn't you just start rooting for the Kings instead? If the team flames out in the playoffs KG and PP will likely leave and that's who we'll be anyways.

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 10:58:58 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Something like this is what I would want. Obviously it would also include draft picks going a few directions, probably our 1st rd pick to Phoenix this year.

Boston:

Cousins
Evans
Gortat

Phoenix:

Bass
Melo

Sacramento:

Rondo

We would probably have more of a motion/pass oriented offense as opposed to the PG dominant offense we seem to employ now. Plus, it would be safe to say that our rebounding woes will be gone.

Starters-
KG
Pierce
Cousins
Bradley
Evans

2nd Unit-
Sullinger
Green
Gortat
Terry
Lee

Flip Evans to the Suns for Dragic and then you might...might... have me thinking about it. But since it involves Rondo I still would say no go.

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Boston:

Cousins
Evans
Gortat

Phoenix:

Bass
Melo

Sacramento:

Rondo

Starters-
KG
Pierce
Cousins
Bradley
Evans

2nd Unit-
Sullinger
Green
Gortat
Terry
Lee

Flip Evans to the Suns for Dragic and then you might...might... have me thinking about it. But since it involves Rondo I still would say no go.

I would much rather have Evans than Dragic. Evans is more talented and 3 years younger.