Author Topic: Sully's Re Evaluated numbers predictions.  (Read 5181 times)

Re: Sully's Re Evaluated numbers predictions.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
 Per 36 minutes sully is

11 points / 11 rebounds / 1 block / 1 turnover

Al Jefferson rookie year

16 points / 11 rebounds / 2 blocks / 2 turnovers

Kevin love rookie year

16 points / 13 rebounds / 1 block / 2 turnovers

Elton brand rookie year

19 points / 10 rebounds / 2 blocks / 3 turnovers

If sully's minutes keep increasing and he can get his numbers per 36 up to about 16/13 and keep the silly fouls down that'll be a great rookie season.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 09:25:02 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Per 36 minutes sully is

Al Jefferson rookie year

Kevin love rookie year

Elton brand rookie year

If sully's minutes keep increasing and he can get his numbers per 36 up to about 16/13 and keep the silly fouls down that'll be a great rookie season.

What is worth mentioning regarding those comparisons is that Sullinger is actually playing on a better team and has a much lower usage rate. They are not running a single play for him unlike those other players who were getting touches on the offensive side which of course improved their scoring rates.
Of course there is the fouling issue to discuss. I think it is a combo of three things: One, Sullinger plays basketball like it is 1985. He is a banging, rough and tumble type which until his rep improves will get him quick whistles in this new ticky-tack foul league. Second, earlier his rotations were a bit slow. Now that he grasps the defense he is "getting it" and is rotating outstandingly. Subsequently his post D is second only to KG and his fouls are starting to drop. Third, he knows he is not playing starter minutes so he knows as a bench guy with muscle that he occasionally has to deliver the hard foul down low. In my mind that is just wonderful.
I think he can give you 20 and 12. The rebounding we see already. Regarding the scoring: He showed effective three point range in college along with excellent mid range touch, he has great technique and form on his jumper. With all the pick and pop the NBA runs along with better spacing  he will drain jumpers once given the green light. Additionally he is improving down low. His ability to create space and use angles will help him in the post. Finally, he will soon draw fouls, not get whistled for them. He has a great free throw percentage and if he can get 6 to 8 of those a game you are looking at 20 point scorer.

Not bad for the 21st pick in the draft.

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Per 36 minutes sully is

Al Jefferson rookie year

Kevin love rookie year

Elton brand rookie year

What is worth mentioning regarding those comparisons is that Sullinger is actually playing on a better team and has a much lower usage rate. They are not running a single play for him unlike those other players who were getting touches on the offensive side which of course improved their scoring rates.
Of course there is the fouling issue to discuss. I think it is a combo of three things: One, Sullinger plays basketball like it is 1985. He is a banging, rough and tumble type which until his rep improves will get him quick whistles in this new ticky-tack foul league. Second, earlier his rotations were a bit slow. Now that he grasps the defense he is "getting it" and is rotating outstandingly. Subsequently his post D is second only to KG and his fouls are starting to drop. Third, he knows he is not playing starter minutes so he knows as a bench guy with muscle that he occasionally has to deliver the hard foul down low. In my mind that is just wonderful.
I think he can give you 20 and 12. The rebounding we see already. Regarding the scoring: He showed effective three point range in college along with excellent mid range touch, he has great technique and form on his jumper. With all the pick and pop the NBA runs along with better spacing  he will drain jumpers once given the green light. Additionally he is improving down low. His ability to create space and use angles will help him in the post. Finally, he will soon draw fouls, not get whistled for them. He has a great free throw percentage and if he can get 6 to 8 of those a game you are looking at 20 point scorer.

Not bad for the 21st pick in the draft.

Add to that, Doc says Sullinger is a good three point shooter, they just don't want him out there, which makes sense because if he is at the 3pt line he can't bang for offensive rebound.

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Per 36 minutes sully is

Al Jefferson rookie year

Kevin love rookie year

Elton brand rookie year

Other than Brand, none of those players appeared special to me in first sight (in fact, Love still doesn't, despite all the things he does on court) and yes, usage rate matters.
Considering that and the lowered expectations to prior to draft, Sullinger has been good enough to be one of the steals for the season.

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Sully's rebounding percentages for the season are better than the rookie seasons for Dennis Rodman, Tim Duncan, and Kevin Garnett, and roughly on par (slightly worse, but by a very small margin) with Kevin Love and Moses Malone.

Just sayin'

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I wonder how many minutes he'll be able to play.

Because of fouls? You'd have to think he'll get a ton better with that as some times passes. Even by the end of this year he will. Part of it is def a rookie thing. Bradley, a great defender had issues with "fouling" for a lot of last year because he was a newbie.

Plus when KG leaves the floor and its him and Bass as the bigs that makes them extremely vulnerable defensively and im sure Sully gets the raw end of those match ups often.

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 10:25:07 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
51 ppg / 28 rpg / 9 apg / 74% FG%

Just slightly over Wilt Chamberlain numbers, I'm thinking.

This is just borderline impossible Roy!!! hat's just, wow really!?

Sully is only 6'9" maybe shorter!

It's impossible for him to shoot 74% from the field. Maybe put it at around 68% and I'll believe you...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
At his peak....

14 ppg 12 rbg 2 apg 1 spg .5 bpg

49% 35% 80%

with pretty solid D, playing 36 mpg.

Possibly the 3rd best player on a title team.

This is the absolute best situation/optimistic outlook...imo

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 10:49:47 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
What I'm most impressed with so far from him is his ability and willingness to bang inside, basically manhandle established NBA bigs regularly and do all the dirty work! That's a surprise to me considering he was known for his scoring in college.

Once he has a year or two under his belt, and KG retires or Sullinger moves on to another team, I see him being a solid 20 and 12 guy easily, and an all-star.

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I hope he doesnt go Brandon Hunter on us all.

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I don't think there is much of a chance of that.  Very different players, with very different pedigrees. 

My fear is that he goes Big Baby on us (falls in love with his offense, and stops working so hard on defense and the boards), but based on his history as a hard worker, I am not too worried.

I do think some of the projections might be a bit extreme.  But I think as long as he can stay healthy, he is going to be a very good player. 

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 11:20:32 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I don't think there is much of a chance of that.  Very different players, with very different pedigrees. 

My fear is that he goes Big Baby on us (falls in love with his offense, and stops working so hard on defense and the boards), but based on his history as a hard worker, I am not too worried.

I do think some of the projections might be a bit extreme.  But I think as long as he can stay healthy, he is going to be a very good player.

Part of it that makes me feel very good about him not going Big Baby is how much he hangs his hat on rebounding and little stuff.  Was Big Baby ever like that?  No.  Not that he never did it but he never had that attitude.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:39 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Part of it that makes me feel very good about him not going Big Baby is how much he hangs his hat on rebounding and little stuff.  Was Big Baby ever like that?  No.  Not that he never did it but he never had that attitude.

Big Baby was like that though.  He was a hussle player his first couple years.  He wasn't as talented a rebounding as Sully, but he was a guy who did the dirty work, and worked his butt off defensively.  It wasn't until KG went down with the knee injury, and suddenly he became a starter and key offensive piece, that his defense and hustle went down the drain.

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Big Baby was like that though.  He was a hussle player his first couple years.  He wasn't as talented a rebounding as Sully, but he was a guy who did the dirty work, and worked his butt off defensively.  It wasn't until KG went down with the knee injury, and suddenly he became a starter and key offensive piece, that his defense and hustle went down the drain.

Sullinger looks a lot smarter and more mature than Glen Davis though. I don't see that happening with him

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

You're right that's why I said not that Big Baby never did those things.

But when he talked to the media and everything did he hang his hat on that how Sully does?  Sully really seems to know what he is and what the team needs.

Big Baby just wanted to seem to make an impact.  Which is fine in theory but eventually his idea of impact became scoring points off of a volume of jump shots.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford