(Pick A Player Over / Under Points Game)
congrats to Redz
on the creation of his "little game idea" that has been the most active and viewed thread in CelticsBlog history, and which has now reached page number one thousand!
It's called PAPOUG, and stands for "Pick A Player Over / Under Points Game". That's 819,652 views
, (as I type this), and still going strong.
If you'd like to find out what's so interesting about this thread, join us anytime and earn some TPs in the process ... we'd love to have you and the more, the merrier! There is also a NFL version, (which is just now finishing it's playoff season), and a MLB version, (which will be starting up with baseball season, and is just as much fun, IMO.
If you'd like to play but feel a bit confused as to the rules, just check the rules link on each day's results post, (in the PAPOUG thread), or give me or Redz a quick shout via PM, and we'll be happy to assist you. The basic gist is just picking a NBA player each day, (as long as no one else has not picked him), that you think will score the most over his average that day, and post his name in the thread ... the other little rules tweaks we can catch you up on as you play.
It really is a blast, and makes the (sometimes) frustrating NBA season pass a bit more pleasantly, as well as gets you some Tommy Points along the way. Hope you'll check it out and see just what the most active thread in CB history is all about. Congratulations again to Redz, who came up with this idea on a whim, (here's his original post, just before Christmas, back in 2008):
Apparently the holiday shopping season isn't going to hit my shop today (it's going to happen tomorrow right?)...So here's a little game I thought up.
We have a full slate of games tonight in the NBA. Pick any player who's playing tonight (first come first serve). The person whose player scores the most points over his season's average win a TP or two. Players must have played at least 10 games.
Post your player with team and average like such
REDZ - Joe Blow, Bobcats - 17.1
I'll start with
REDZ - Daequan Cook, Heat - 9.1
Looking for a big night against the Warriors
(for the record Joe Blow was not my pick )
Rules of this game:
1) Pick a player who has played in at least 10 games this season (see exceptions in rule 9 for early season implications)
2) Post said player along with your name, the players team, the players average (according to ESPN.com and ONLY ESPN.com)...like such: Joe Blow, Bobcats: 10.5
3) Picks are due by the scheduled start of the days first game (not the actual tipoff of the first game). Late picks will not count, regardless of whether the game involved is after the deadline or not.
4) If you pick a player from that night's Celtics opponent's roster for you must put your pick in pink font, like such: Joe Blow, Bobcats: 10.5
4-L) Lakers picks will labeled in purple and gold to display your obvious love for the enemy...like so: Kobe Poopyhead, Fakers (or other derogatory name) etc..
5) You may change your pick at any time prior to the daily deadline but in such case you must also put your pick in pink font...If the player you have switched is a Celtics opponent as well maybe you can put it in bold too
6) The player who scores the most points over his average wins the game for the person who selected him. The winner is awarded an amount of Tommy Points equal to that days participants (by a Moderator) for that days game. If there are more than 12 participants the winnings will rounded up to 2/3 for 1st place and 1/3 for 2nd place. We will only carry the averages 1 decimal, so there is the potential of a tie. Both participants will receive full amounts of TPs in case of tie.
7) The Doody Prize: 1 Tommy Point will also be awarded for the participant whose player has the worst score without recording a DNP.
Anyone can start a new game for any day that there are games on the NBA schedule. Picks may be submitted no sooner than midnight Boston time for that days games. As long as there are a minimum of 2 participants - it's GAME ON!
9) START OF SEASON
We will use ESPN's averages from the previous season until a player has established a 10 game average for the current season. Anyone who has played less than 10 games the previous season is not eligible until he has established a 10 game average for the current season. If a player did not play 10 games the previous season either (rookies, injuries etc...) he is not eligible to be picked.
10) IF YOU ARE THE WINNER ON ANY GIVEN DAY, YOU MAY NOT PICK THE SAME PLAYER AGAIN FOR A PERIOD OF 7 DAYS
Hope to see you on the thread soon ... for the next
one thousand pages!
Play PAPOUG now