Author Topic: are the Lakers the biggest "star-studded dissapointment"??  (Read 10474 times)

Re: are the Lakers the biggest "star-studded dissapointment"??
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think the 2004 Lakers were a bigger disappointment.  They had Gary Payton, Karl Malone, Kobe and Shaq.  People thought they were a lock for the championship, but they got beat by a team with no superstars, the Detroit Pistons.
They still made the Finals and Malone was hurt badly and couldn't play there.

Plus Detroit wasn't chopped liver either, they returned to the Finals and almost defeated the Spurs next year.

I don't see how 2004 Lakers were more disappointing than this current Lakers squad potentially missing the playoffs.

Yeah I agree.  They got to the Finals.

That Detroit team was good.  5 really good starters and awesome defense.

People overuse superstars lately I think... to me there are like 5 or so superstars in the league at most at any time.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 11:36:03 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
I wouldn't be surprised if they finally "get it" and start winning games just like the celtics. They certainly have the talent, i'm just not sure if the players themselves believe in D'antoni's system and in each other for that matter. I also think Howard can't handle being second fiddle to Kobe. Sometimes it as though he's just going through the motions while playing, resulting in too many missed easy baskets. If Howard refuses to sign an extension, maybe he gets traded instead of Pau. Howard for Brooke Lopez and change probably?

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
I wouldn't be surprised if they finally "get it" and start winning games just like the celtics. They certainly have the talent, i'm just not sure if the players themselves believe in D'antoni's system and in each other for that matter. I also think Howard can't handle being second fiddle to Kobe. Sometimes it as though he's just going through the motions while playing, resulting in too many missed easy baskets. If Howard refuses to sign an extension, maybe he gets traded instead of Pau. Howard for Brooke Lopez and change probably?

The biggest issue for them vs us is they have no room for injuries at all.

We have some.  KG and Rondo are pretty essential but a lot of wing and guard depth.

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 11:40:32 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Also think of the '99 Rockets.  Had Barkely and Olajuwon, had there not been a lockout, Drexler might have stuck around too.  They go out and sign Scottie Pippen.  1st round playoff loss in 4 games.  Again not as big of a disappointment as the Lakers would be, but still disappointing.

On paper, yes, though all of them were well into their thirties by the time.
That said, it's the same for Nash and Kobe, too.

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 06:06:07 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
LAL do not have great snipers if you compary them to NYK. They play a poor defence under D'Antoni's. But I think they are gonna be in playoff.

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 06:30:38 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
As much as I loathe the Lakers and love to see them struggle, I'm believing that they will get it together before it's all said and done.

DH will get healthy, Pau will come back from his concussion, and they will all form some semblance of chemistry.

They are somewhat behind in the standings, but imagine the Lakers, as a 7th or 8th seed - BUT - playing with some chemistry?

They could be perhaps the most dangerous lower-seeded team since...The Boston Celtics 11-12.

As much as I can't stand them I can't count them out just yet.

I guess I am still holding out hope for one last grudge match with them...give them some payback for 09-10 finals. I'd LOVE that.

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 03:11:03 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
They could be perhaps the most dangerous lower-seeded team since...The Boston Celtics 11-12.

I will addd
theyre giving their bench time to taste real time NBA
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

I will addd
theyre giving their bench time to taste real time NBA

That isn't going to make them suddenly talented though.

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 04:15:23 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
As much as I loathe the Lakers and love to see them struggle, I'm believing that they will get it together before it's all said and done.

DH will get healthy, Pau will come back from his concussion, and they will all form some semblance of chemistry.

They are somewhat behind in the standings, but imagine the Lakers, as a 7th or 8th seed - BUT - playing with some chemistry?

I guess I am still holding out hope for one last grudge match with them...give them some payback for 09-10 finals. I'd LOVE that.

They'll need to win over 60% of their remaining games just to be in the hunt for the playoffs, and that number will go up until they get their players back. I'm starting to think they'll be more of a dangerous lottery team.

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 04:27:58 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
So many things need to happen for me to be satisfied.  None have come to fruition yet and I have no faith that they will:
1. LA does not make the playoffs.  Note that if they do make the playoffs it will be on the wings of very strong finish making them very dangerous (of course).

2. Lakers do not pull off a season saving trade for Pau or Dwight.

3. Dwight does not return to LA.

4. Lakers get nothing for Dwight.

I don't have any faith that the Lakers will continue to fail.  Each year they will at least seem to be a contender.   They have been a constant thorn in my side since the 70's and will continue to be.

BTW -- when you sign a 38 year old PG and trade for a guy just off back surgery, and you have the oldest team in the league, don't you forfeit the right to whine about injuries?  Same with C's (though a little better this year re: overall age) -- if  we have injuries to our elderly or injury-prone players, we have little right to complain. Risk/Reward.

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 04:29:49 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Without a doubt and it's not even close! They were predicted by almost everyone to have 4 times the amount of wins they currently have, at season's end. They will be lucky to have 3 times their current amount.

If they miss the playoffs they might have nothing to show for AND then some! not only does their lottery pick and future prospect go to the Suns, but Howard could leave too.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:37:59 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
In most of the Laker Fans eye , this is another "LOST" year, of Kobe being in top form and leading them to the promised land. BOO HOO HOO another Kobe year wasted..HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE ...

I smile everyday knowing it an't happening this year.  ;D

I 'd love to see them NOT make the playoffs , never see Jackon again in the NBA..ever again on any team. , and Kobe to retire ASAP.  ANd CP3 sign an extension withthe CLIPPERS.....LoL ..last dagger in the LAKERS back.

These are some of my favorite things...

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »

fitzhickey

Without a doubt and it's not even close! They were predicted by almost everyone to have 4 times the amount of wins they currently have, at season's end. They will be lucky to have 3 times their current amount.

If they miss the playoffs they might have nothing to show for AND then some! not only does their lottery pick and future prospect go to the Suns, but Howard could leave too.
It would be hilarious if Howard left

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
In most of the Laker Fans eye , this is another "LOST" year, of Kobe being in top form and leading them to the promised land. BOO HOO HOO another Kobe year wasted..HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE ...

I smile everyday knowing it an't happening this year.  ;D

I 'd love to see them NOT make the playoffs , never see Jackon again in the NBA..ever again on any team. , and Kobe to retire ASAP.  ANd CP3 sign an extension withthe CLIPPERS.....LoL ..last dagger in the LAKERS back.

These are some of my favorite things...

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I know most posters here are not a big fan of advanced stats, but for the record, many advanced stats predicted before the season the Lakers would be an 8th seed at best. Just sayin'.