Author Topic: are the Lakers the biggest "star-studded dissapointment"??  (Read 10480 times)

Re: are the Lakers the biggest "star-studded dissapointment"??
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 09:16:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
They haven't disappointed me yet!

;D

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 09:20:47 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
loving it but I have that horrible feeling deep down that IF the Lakers miss the playoffs this year, they will end up with a top 3 pick and land their next franchise cornerstone
Phoenix would be very happy if the Lakers missed the playoffs and wound up in the lottery.

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 09:28:38 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Based on the starting lineups, easily they are. But if we were to include benchs in this one, they would probably not be referred to as elite.
Winning with 5 players alone is close to impossible, especially if they suffer from injuries at this pace.

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 09:33:07 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
loving it but I have that horrible feeling deep down that IF the Lakers miss the playoffs this year, they will end up with a top 3 pick and land their next franchise cornerstone
Phoenix would be very happy if the Lakers missed the playoffs and wound up in the lottery.
Phx gets their pick but somehow that scumbag franchise always lands on their feet.  Frankly, I'd be stunned if they don't somehow end up with a pick in the lottery this year if they miss the playoffs.  Could be a Gasol trade.  Could be a DH trade if he continues to push the idea he won't resign there.  The lakers will scam someone out of their pick   >:(

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 09:34:14 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
They've looked more beatable than most thought possible. That's been the biggest surprise IMO.

Still a lot of water to go under the bridge yet but these struggles so far go a long way to ensuring they won't have home court advantage in the Playoffs after the 1st round (should they make it of course) and that could be significant.

Couldn't be happening to a bigger bunch of pricks!
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 09:35:45 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
They haven't disappointed me yet!

;D

hahahaha!
Feel free to post this on the Lakers board!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Good news for you, in the trade with the Suns they agreed to send their pick to the Suns if it was in the top 14 (aka lottery).

So there is no upside for them missing the playoffs. Of course that also means they're not ever going to throw in the towel and just tank. They can still make the playoffs, though its going to be very tough.

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Nowhere near as star studded, but when I think of failures…

2002 Milwaukee Bucks.

In 2001 they lost in the ECF in 7 games to the Iverson-led Sixers.  There is the belief by some that Stern wanted Philly and not the Bucks in the Finals and will point to the foul shot discrepancy between the 2 teams.

The Bucks had 3 relatively young All-Stars, in Ray Allen (25), Glenn Robison (28), and Sam Cassell (31), though Sam wouldn’t become an All-Star for a few years, he had All-Star talent.

A young stud Tim Thomas, shockingly re-signed with the Bucks, even though he was coming off the bench, instead of attempting to be a star somewhere else.  Ray Allen even said of him, "If he wanted to, Tim Thomas could be the best player in the league."  He re-signed, to come off the bench, in Milwaukee!

A 52 win team, 3 All-Stars, and many Bucks fan’s probably thought of Tim Thomas like we think of Sullinger, or thought of Big Al, or whoever.

Then they go out and sign Anthony Mason coming off an All-Star year.  That’s like 4 All-Stars and a future All-Star, on a team that won 52 games and went to game 7 of the ECF,   Going into March I believe they were 2nd in the East, 1st in their division, at 35-25, then go 6-16 the rest of the way.  Missing the playoffs. 

One game away from the Finals, brought everybody back and added an All-Star, yet missed the playoffs.

Not a big market, so nobody remembered, and not as big as the Lakers missing would be, but still quite the disappointment.

Also think of the '99 Rockets.  Had Barkely and Olajuwon, had there not been a lockout, Drexler might have stuck around too.  They go out and sign Scottie Pippen.  1st round playoff loss in 4 games.  Again not as big of a disappointment as the Lakers would be, but still disappointing.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 10:22:07 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
No. I still think it's 2010 Miami Heat.

That team should have won the Championship. But hey, I think they erased that by winning the next year.

Them and the Dallas team that got bounced by the Dubs in the 1st round.

As star studded as the Lakers current team is, we gotta put into perspective that Nash is old, Howard is not himself they have no bench at all. The Miami team, while has no solid bench either have 3 healthy, in their prime superstars, one being the MVP. The Dallas team, well...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 10:52:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I've been losing alot of sleep over the Lakers poor showing this year. 

I worry do they have enough stars to really compete.?

How can they be expected to win with such second rate stars.

If I was STERN ..I would immediately make some small franchise teams give up their stars like ..DURANT and ZBO ...its not fair .

My heart is so broken over the Lakers woes...

They deserve much better players.

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 11:00:51 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I wonder how much different this Lakers team would look if the Chris Paul trade actually went through. Would they still have been able to swing a deal for Howard. They would be lacking even more pieces than they have now.

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think the 2004 Lakers were a bigger disappointment.  They had Gary Payton, Karl Malone, Kobe and Shaq.  People thought they were a lock for the championship, but they got beat by a team with no superstars, the Detroit Pistons.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think the 2004 Lakers were a bigger disappointment.  They had Gary Payton, Karl Malone, Kobe and Shaq.  People thought they were a lock for the championship, but they got beat by a team with no superstars, the Detroit Pistons.
They still made the Finals and Malone was hurt badly and couldn't play there.

Plus Detroit wasn't chopped liver either, they returned to the Finals and almost defeated the Spurs next year.

I don't see how 2004 Lakers were more disappointing than this current Lakers squad potentially missing the playoffs.

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 11:33:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No. I still think it's 2010 Miami Heat.

That team should have won the Championship. But hey, I think they erased that by winning the next year.

Them and the Dallas team that got bounced by the Dubs in the 1st round.

As star studded as the Lakers current team is, we gotta put into perspective that Nash is old, Howard is not himself they have no bench at all. The Miami team, while has no solid bench either have 3 healthy, in their prime superstars, one being the MVP. The Dallas team, well...

That team made it to the Finals.  Hardly a failure.

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 11:33:51 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
So far, yeah.  Lots of injuries but injuries are "disappointing" too, and the names are what people really care about. 

Don't forget they've actually got 5 guys with multiple All-Stars (Jamison).  With Kobe and Howard locks to make this year's team they might actually finish with more All-Star appearances (at least 36) than wins.  How's that for a star-studded depressing stat?