Author Topic: U see how much better without rondo today  (Read 12457 times)

Re: U see how much better without rondo today
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The constant effort to label Rondo as a superstar ends up derailing the expectations. To me, he isn't a superstar. If he were to be called one, teams would be willing to make trades for him when Ainge was apparently shopping him and also, your GM wouldn't be shopping him in the first place.

That said, he's clearly a much better PG than we could ever get if we were to replace him via trade at this point. I don't really care if he is Top 3, Top 5 or Top 10 in his position. What really matters is he isn't beyond that number and that's more than enough.

Yeah rondo is a allstar definitely not a superstar.

Which NBA players do you put in the category of "superstar."

The ones that dominate. LeBron is the easiest choice. He led a bunch of scrubs to the finals. Granted, the East was a wreck back at that time, but that takes little out of it.
Durant, after he got past his rookie season, in which he struggled with his shot.
Kobe, because he is the clutchest active player.

All others are replaceable in my book, and if you are replaceable, you aren't a superstar. In that sense, PGs have the least luck out of any position to be superstars, since they are the least likely to dominate the game so much. Unless they are Big O or Magic, of course.

Couldn't possibly disagree with the bolded more.

Rondo has dominated games himself.

Did you miss the Celtics Cavs or Rondo vs the Heat last year for example?

Not even saying Rondo's a "superstar" but PGs dominate games for sure.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The constant effort to label Rondo as a superstar ends up derailing the expectations. To me, he isn't a superstar. If he were to be called one, teams would be willing to make trades for him when Ainge was apparently shopping him and also, your GM wouldn't be shopping him in the first place.

That said, he's clearly a much better PG than we could ever get if we were to replace him via trade at this point. I don't really care if he is Top 3, Top 5 or Top 10 in his position. What really matters is he isn't beyond that number and that's more than enough.

The ones that dominate. LeBron is the easiest choice. He led a bunch of scrubs to the finals. Granted, the East was a wreck back at that time, but that takes little out of it.
Durant, after he got past his rookie season, in which he struggled with his shot.

All others are replaceable in my book, and if you are replaceable, you aren't a superstar. In that sense, PGs have the least luck out of any position to be superstars, since they are the least likely to dominate the game so much. Unless they are Big O or Magic, of course.

I'll buy that.  Basically, you are saying that there are a total of two players who still have their prime years of basketball ahead of them that can be labelled "superstars."

I feel like people should keep that in mind when they suggest trading Rondo because "he's not an elite player who can lead a team to contention by himself."  Unless, we are getting back James or Durant, there is no trade out there that brings back such a player.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

When I said "the game", it was an overall reference. Rondo dominated games throughout his career. He's just not doing it on a consistent basis to call him a dominant player.

I'll buy that.  Basically, you are saying that there are a total of two players who still have their prime years of basketball ahead of them that can be labelled "superstars."

I feel like people should keep that in mind when they suggest trading Rondo because "he's not an elite player who can lead a team to contention by himself."  Unless, we are getting back James or Durant, there is no trade out there that brings back such a player.

That's how I interpret it. If we are to include a list of other players, Rondo could make it, too.
The only reason trading Rondo could make sense is to go on rebuilding with cheaper pieces somehow. Not sure how hefty their contracts will be, but a package of Evans and Cousins sounds good if you are out looking for a trade. You aren't getting an upgrade in overall play, but get two good young pieces. I'd live with it.

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

When I said "the game", it was an overall reference. Rondo dominated games throughout his career. He's just not doing it on a consistent basis to call him a dominant player.

That's how I interpret it. If we are to include a list of other players, Rondo could make it, too.
The only reason trading Rondo could make sense is to go on rebuilding with cheaper pieces somehow. Not sure how hefty their contracts will be, but a package of Evans and Cousins sounds good if you are out looking for a trade. You aren't getting an upgrade in overall play, but get two good young pieces. I'd live with it.

Evans' contract runs out after this season.  Cousins' after the next.  Unless someone is willing to overpay (which there's a good chance that someone will be), Evans might be slightly cheaper.  I doubt Cousins will be.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2013, 07:24:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
we are winning. And before nyc game, we won two with rondo with one game where he and pierce ignited the comeback.

Instead of trading Rondo, i'd say for the last 5 to 7 min left of the game, to take rondo out and put in Bradley plus lee or terry out there.

Rondo has never been a good 4th quarter guy, esp in the last 7 min left. All he does is dribble it up, drop it to pierce and clear the way. Rather have Bradley do this, bc he can still give you great defense and can shoot with confidence if wide left open

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2013, 08:06:13 PM »

Offline BIGTIME_CELTICS

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
For the most part, people around here to need to start differentiating between a bad stretch and a bad player.

And when you have a player like Rondo, who has been little short of epic in the playoffs. (Averaging almost a triple-double w/out KG 16.9/9.8/9.7 *2009*, the jason williams steal *2010*, Wade's Takedown *2011*, 76ers Game 7 *2012*, 43 Points vs. Miami *2012* 4 Triple Doubles in the Playoffs *2012*)

You got to call a thread like this after an 8-point win what it is, ridiculous.

If he is playin like that, why would i have a problem. I know he is capable, but he has been doing those last time i checked. Love Rondo to death as a fan for what he can, just cannot stand his effort level and lack of energy

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think another problem here is we are expecting rondo to be a MVP player type(some posted he will become an MVP). But that is not we see from him right now to which some are disappointed. We just hope he is taking one step at a time maybe play off MVP first before season MVP. Just my thoughts...

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2013, 01:56:00 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
he still can be finals MVP
thats pretty much what i hope.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!