Author Topic: U see how much better without rondo today  (Read 12454 times)

Re: U see how much better without rondo today
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Some people just can't take criticism towards a player they like.

And some criticize towards a player they dont like just because

thats the nature of a place like this
somehow...  8)

Except the OP clearly likes and respects rondos game. And except 95percent of celtics fans like rondo. Difference is some of us criticise him when he deserves it while others don't.

IMHO its easier to say I respect kobe and that i love how he plays and be happy than he just missed one because i am actually waiting for him to fail, than to say I dont like him and I thin his mother dresses him funny and be happy than he just missed one, and saying i am waiting for him to fail.

Not saying thats the case with the OP
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

somehow...  8)

Except the OP clearly likes and respects rondos game. And except 95percent of celtics fans like rondo. Difference is some of us criticise him when he deserves it while others don't.
People have different opinions on things.

For example people blame Rondo for walking the ball up, the Rondo I see screams for the ball and tries to run more often than not. Overall the C's are very aggressive in transition and semi-transition. We're just not built to run.

Just differences of opinion based on watching the same season of the same player.

Yep. People blame Rondo for walking the ball up, but he's a pass first pg who wants/needs to take advantage of the best two options(Pierce and KG) who aren't motoring up the court.

Rondo runs one man breaks plenty of times.

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The whole first unit played badly?  Bradley was great.  KG was his usual great.  Pierce was a little down.  Bass wasn't good at all and neither was Rondo.

I get how people can say, "hey wait until Rondo turns it on in the playoffs," but can you ever see Garnet taking off regular season games?  Is playing hard really too much to ask for from Rondo?

Last week against Memphis,  KG went 5 of 14 from the field and 2 of 5 from the free throw line in a game we lost - no one accused him of taking that game off. There's been more than a few games where Paul has done nothing but jack up threes and he's never accused of taking games off. Rondo gets nitpicked by a different standard.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

somehow...  8)

For example people blame Rondo for walking the ball up, the Rondo I see screams for the ball and tries to run more often than not. Overall the C's are very aggressive in transition and semi-transition. We're just not built to run.

Just differences of opinion based on watching the same season of the same player.

Yep. People blame Rondo for walking the ball up, but he's a pass first pg who wants/needs to take advantage of the best two options(Pierce and KG) who aren't motoring up the court.

Plus sometimes the fast break is dictated by the defense.

For example Lee/Terry/Bradley got out more than Rondo today because they were the guards when the C's got some nice live ball turnovers. (at least that's what I saw in the second half and the highlight Green alley oop play, I missed the first half)

They then ran the floor and got nice easy buckets, which is awesome. But that's not really "pushing the pace" as much as it is good defense or bad passing/handling by the other team.

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 10:35:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Very true.

But there is a difference from saying "Rondo had a poor game" and threads like this that say we play better without him. The Celtics clearly don't, plus his two prior games (Hawks/Pacers) were good games!

I really don't think it's even feasible to argue that we play better without Rondo. That's ridiculous. We are much, much better with Rondo.

The problem though is Rondo often takes nights off for various reasons. Sometimes he looks like he's pouting over a bad call or a teammate or coach that may have rubbed him the wrong way. Other times elite level PGs get into his head and get him off his game (CP3). Sometimes he just doesn't take the opponent seriously, and finally, sometimes he's just tired and or beaten up.

Pierce also takes many nights off.

KG however, at his age no less, never takes a night off.

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 10:36:28 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

somehow...  8)

This.  I'd like to see Rondo jog the ball a little more, but I have no problem with him dominating the ball when he's on the floor.  He is our general, after all.

The thing about Rondo that disappoints me the most is his defense.  Now, you could say it's because he exerts so much energy on O, but there are times when he just doesn't try.  Didn't he lead the league in steals three or four years ago?

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 10:38:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Very true.

But there is a difference from saying "Rondo had a poor game" and threads like this that say we play better without him. The Celtics clearly don't, plus his two prior games (Hawks/Pacers) were good games!

I really don't think it's even feasible to argue that we play better without Rondo. That's ridiculous. We are much, much better with Rondo.

The problem though is Rondo often takes nights off for various reasons. Sometimes he looks like he's pouting over a bad call or a teammate or coach that may have rubbed him the wrong way. Other times elite level PGs get into his head and get him off his game (CP3). Sometimes he just doesn't take the opponent seriously, and finally, sometimes he's just tired and or beaten up.

Pierce also takes many nights off.

KG however, at his age no less, never takes a night off.
This is somewhat true, but I think people also conflate "poor shooting" with "poor effort" too often with Pierce/Rondo. With KG his defensive effort is always a given thus he'll get credit for that even in games where his shot isn't falling and he's not aggressively posting up.

Not to mention energy level is by definition an eye test thing, thus people will disagree with it.

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 10:45:54 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

somehow...  8)

This.  I'd like to see Rondo jog the ball a little more, but I have no problem with him dominating the ball when he's on the floor.  He is our general, after all.

The thing about Rondo that disappoints me the most is his defense.  Now, you could say it's because he exerts so much energy on O, but there are times when he just doesn't try.  Didn't he lead the league in steals three or four years ago?

I can agree that Rondo dogs it on D sometimes. I don't think it's as bad as some make it seem, but that certainly is a weak point in his game.

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 10:47:34 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
This is getting to be ridiculous.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 10:56:31 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Other than Bradley I thought the whole starting five played lazy tonight.

Singling out rondo for this is just unfair.

Terry wheeling and dealing as the pick and roll guy with the second unit was definitely nice to see. He was running the offense very well.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 11:01:48 PM »

Offline dinome18

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 7
Been a season tix holder for 7 years and not ok with rondo blatantly taking nights off..too many. We have seen what he's capable of. I go to 30 + games a year and his inconsistency is incredibly frustrating.

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 11:04:23 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
We also played well with Pierce on the bench tonight, does that mean we are a better team without him? Obviously not.

Rondo hasn't played up to his usual standards as of late, but I think we should keep in mind that he is coming off a recent hip injury.

Overall, Rondo's been having one of his best seasons in the league. He's averaging 13.2 points (.5 points less than his career high), 11.3 assists (.4 less than career high), 5.2 rebounds (career high), 64.7 FT% (career high), .514 eFG% (ties 2nd best career high).  He's shooting 51% from 16-23FT (would be career high, easily), 44% from 3-9FT (a drastic +20% improvement from his last two seasons), 63.2% at rim (2nd best in career). Even without looking at the stats it's clear that Rondo's shooting has improved this year.

And at his best (which is usually in the playoffs) he takes this team to another level. Of course KG and Bradley's impact on the defensive end is important too, but when Rondo is "on" he has the potential to effect every aspect of the game; scoring, rebounding, defense, play-making, ect. I think the problem is some expect that out of him every night, when that's just not going to happen. He is what he is at this point...he's prone to defensive lapses and lack of effort in some games, but overall he's pretty consistent in his play.

So one bad stretch does not = were better off without him.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:12:15 PM by ejk3489 »

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 11:10:05 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
I hate the crap he gets for his triple doubles on national tv games. Fans pointing to that need to take a step back and think about what they are asking/implying.

Rondo isn't the Big O. He can't average a triple double in a season, lol.

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 11:12:34 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The "lack of effort" tag is hysterical.  Heck, even KG has plays where he dogs it.

Oh well, Rondo's a rising young star.  He's going to be under the microscope. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 11:22:58 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

Keep rondo. Trading him is not an option for this franchise. The Celtics have the starting five (the older gnarlier guys) and the bench (the young run and gun squad).

We need both approaches to win. Confuses the opponent.

Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;