Poll

What Is Your Gut Feel, Do You Sense It?

Yes
5 (45.5%)
No
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 17, 2013, 05:20:05 AM

Author Topic: Possible suitor for Bass?  (Read 29774 times)

Re: Possible suitor for Bass?
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Mavs aren't trading Marion for a role player (Bass) who has longer term deal like that. They want to keep their cap space open for this off season. Plus they aren't upgrading their rotation, they'd have a massive hole on the wing then.
Not to mention that Marion is, well, Jeff Green. The only thing such a deal would do is create (more) positional logjam.

Two completely different players - while Marion certainly on the decline, he's an incredible defensive player still. He's two years removed of doing as good of a job defending Lebron James as anyones ever seen.

Meanwhile Green is a much more polished offensive game. Not just the fluidity of his shot, but his ability to get to the rim and create also.
They are the same player from a roster management perspective, as in they can't be on the floor at the same time, because they can't really play multiple positions effectively. Therefore adding Marion would be pretty much a waste of resources.

Agreed and like I mentioned earlier, Marion only "helps" us if Green is involved in another deal. But with Marion and Green on the roster we would have to tweener forwards. Having them on the floor together at the 3 and 4 would allow teams to expose or lack of depth.

« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
     think Bass needs to be traded. This has very little to do with how Bass has been playing. It has everything to do with our rotation. Sully at center and Bass at PF is very fare from ideal. As the season has progressed it is now become obvious that KG is still our #1 big and Sully has surpassed Bass as #2. For the #3 big we need more length and shot blocking than Bass can provide. Udoh or dalembert from the Bucks could fit this role. Wilcox and Collins fit very nicely as our #4 and #5 bigs.

Who starts then? Dont tell me you think Dalembert will work starting and theres a chance the chemistry never even forms and we go on another slumping losing streak (Bass has chemistry with our starting unit dating back to last year he knows the Celtic's system). I think it'd be a big mistake.

Sully would start and play 30min a game, KG plays his 30, Dalembert gets 20, the last 16 are split between collins and wilcox based on matchup. The Cs are never left without length on the court.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2013, 05:51:38 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Living in Fort Worth I catch quite a few of the Mavs game and in no way do I want any part of Marion.  The guy is horrible.  I'd take Green every day all day over Marion.

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1191648&start=630

Rockets apparently need a 4 who can space the floor a little. Could do a mini 3 team trade.

« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1191648&start=630

Rockets apparently need a 4 who can space the floor a little. Could do a mini 3 team trade.

I don't agree with this. They have two PF's (Morris and Patterson), both younger than Bass, who have 3PT range. I don't think Bass would be a clear cut upgrade over either.

« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
     think Bass needs to be traded. This has very little to do with how Bass has been playing. It has everything to do with our rotation. Sully at center and Bass at PF is very fare from ideal. As the season has progressed it is now become obvious that KG is still our #1 big and Sully has surpassed Bass as #2. For the #3 big we need more length and shot blocking than Bass can provide. Udoh or dalembert from the Bucks could fit this role. Wilcox and Collins fit very nicely as our #4 and #5 bigs.

Who starts then? Dont tell me you think Dalembert will work starting and theres a chance the chemistry never even forms and we go on another slumping losing streak (Bass has chemistry with our starting unit dating back to last year he knows the Celtic's system). I think it'd be a big mistake.

Sully would start and play 30min a game, KG plays his 30, Dalembert gets 20, the last 16 are split between collins and wilcox based on matchup. The Cs are never left without length on the court.
Will the NBA also grant him a fouling exemption? Because he's on track to average close to 5.5 fouls in those 30 minutes that he'll supposedly be playing.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2013, 10:58:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Will the NBA also grant him a fouling exemption? Because he's on track to average close to 5.5 fouls in those 30 minutes that he'll supposedly be playing.
And he's maintained the same rate of fouling in January as his minutes have increased.

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2013, 11:00:49 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

And he's maintained the same rate of fouling in January as his minutes have increased.

He has.  Although I think he has started to cut down on some of the dumb fouls, and has also started getting a little more leeway from some refs.  But he does still have a ways to go. 

« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Pretty much yes (4.5 fouls in 25 minutes in January, slight improvement, but still horrid)

Remarkably, between November and December his fouls went up while his minutes decreased. It's a real issue. You just can't afford to depend on Sullinger for major minutes right now.

Maybe it's not entirely a fault of his own (rookie treatment is real), but I've seen him made some legit boneheaded plays. Kid has a lot to learn still.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Pretty much yes (4.5 fouls in 25 minutes in January, slight improvement, but still horrid)

Remarkably, between November and December his fouls went up while his minutes decreased. It's a real issue. You just can't afford to depend on Sullinger for major minutes right now.

Maybe it's not entirely a fault of his own (rookie treatment is real), but I've seen him made some legit boneheaded plays. Kid has a lot to learn still.
4.5 in 25 is 5.4 in 30.

Its just a fact for rookie bigs in the NBA. They have a bunch of foul trouble. Eventually they either figure it out, or the refs just let them go nuts.

AV is the prime example, refs suddenly decided over the back rules don't apply to him his fourth year in the league.

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2013, 12:19:35 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

He has.  Although I think he has started to cut down on some of the dumb fouls, and has also started getting a little more leeway from some refs.  But he does still have a ways to go.

NBA Refs tend to catch on with good rookies / young players as the season makes it's way to the 2nd half. His foul rate will go down. Take a look at Larry Sanders. He didn't magically quit fouling every 60 seconds -- respect from the officials is a big part
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

NBA Refs tend to catch on with good rookies / young players as the season makes it's way to the 2nd half. His foul rate will go down. Take a look at Larry Sanders. He didn't magically quit fouling every 60 seconds -- respect from the officials is a big part

It makes a difference.  Although Sully still legitimately fouls way too much.  He needs to continue to get smarter about that. 

« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

It makes a difference.  Although Sully still legitimately fouls way too much.  He needs to continue to get smarter about that.

Agreed -- not placing 100% blame, just that I expect both elements to improve.

With Sully getting more comfortable, I simply don't see what Craig Smith or DJ White couldn't do in 12-15 mins a game that Bass does (or doesn't do).

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
How do you feel about this trade, i know raptors are looking to dump bargs, he was rumored to go to lakers for gasol before he got hurt?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aqmftv6

I know bargs isnt the answer but could be nice getting ed davis

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
name of this thread should be updated to:

"Possible suitors for Bass? None."
Mike

(My name is not Mike)