Poll

What Is Your Gut Feel, Do You Sense It?

Yes
5 (45.5%)
No
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 17, 2013, 05:20:05 AM

Author Topic: Possible suitor for Bass?  (Read 29770 times)

Re: Possible suitor for Bass?
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
I'm not sure exactly how we'd work this but it would almost certainly have to be a three way and a small contract added to it but Kaman of Dallas is on a one year deal and they certainly aren't going anywhere.  Dallas doesn't use him nearly enough.

Kaman makes 8mil.  Bass 6mil. So we'd have to send out 7.5ish which means a two of the 800k contracts probably.  It doesn't work out well but Kaman would be the perfect kind of big center we could use.  He is a very underrated guy with a solid jumper, post game, and blocks shots.

We'd need to send out a little less than 6.4 mil for Kaman, so Bass + anyone works.  Sending out more helps with respect to the hard cap, but is not required.

Dallas isn't taking on Bass... they are saving up for CP and DH run! Kaman is just what they need b/c he will be off the books.

Hence why the OP suggested a third team, and I suggested Dalembert earlier in this thread, as his expiring contract won't harm Cuban's off-season plans. 

So something like:

Bass to Milwaukee
Dalembert, Barbosa, and some sort of future draft compensation to Dallas
Kaman to Boston

The Bucks already have too many power forwards, why the heck would they want Bass?

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2013, 09:26:33 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
If we wanted Kaman, we would have to do a 3 team trade. ATL could use a backup PF, especially one with a jumper. For the record, This trade works in Realgm.com Trade Checker (I added picks)

BOS sends: Brandon Bass, 2013 1st, BYK 2014 2nd (Owed to us)
BOS receives: Chris Kaman

DAL sends: Chris Kaman
DAL receives: ZaZa Pachulia, BOS 2013 1st, BYK 2014 2nd

ATL sends: ZaZa Pachulia
ATL gets: Brandon Bass

« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2013, 09:29:11 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
If we wanted Kaman, we would have to do a 3 team trade. ATL could use a backup PF, especially one with a jumper. For the record, This trade works in Realgm.com Trade Checker (I added picks)

Not bad, but I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick to get Kaman. He's not worth it imo.

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85

Not bad, but I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick to get Kaman. He's not worth it imo.

If it helps, I've heard the 2013 draft isn't going to be spectacular, and a lot of prospects don't look NBA ready. I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of kids staying in school another year. On the other hand, we have a good chance of landing in the 19-21 range again this year. Rondo(21), Bradley(19), Sully(21), Who could be next?

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2013, 11:48:13 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Dallas Mavericks will be active in looking for ways to upgrade their roster prior to the February trade deadline.

“There’s a 100 percent chance that we’re going to try to do something,” Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said.

Dallas has several players with expiring contracts, which could be attractive to teams trying to cut costs.

“Hopefully that will play to our advantage because (teams) can’t avoid looking at trades,” Cuban said. “But I don’t have a preference one way or the other. I’m not going to do a trade just to do a trade, even if it’s a star. ... It’s hard to find just one guy who puts you over the top. It has to be somebody who gets us to the point where we could get back on track to where we want to be.”

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPNDallas

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36:22 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
A team like Houston, with cap space, could work in a three team deal. Bass to Houston who can take him bc they're under the cap, and then a player similar in salary size to us from a third team looking to cut costs... Houston needs a pf and bass could be a good fit with harden and Lin.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2013, 12:47:16 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
A team like Houston, with cap space, could work in a three team deal. Bass to Houston who can take him bc they're under the cap, and then a player similar in salary size to us from a third team looking to cut costs... Houston needs a pf and bass could be a good fit with harden and Lin.

They do need a PF, but not Bass. Morey will want to make a big splash with all that cap space. Between Bass and Patterson/Morris + cap space, they'll most likely go with the latter. Why waste money on someone who isn't much of an upgrade over the PF they already have?
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2013, 02:34:40 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you really want to look for a possible suitor for Bass, start with team depth charts and come up with a list of all teams with at least an outside shot at the playoffs where Bass would be a clear upgrade over one of their top two power forwards.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2013, 03:42:43 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Dallas Mavericks will be active in looking for ways to upgrade their roster prior to the February trade deadline.

“There’s a 100 percent chance that we’re going to try to do something,” Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said.

Dallas has several players with expiring contracts, which could be attractive to teams trying to cut costs.

“Hopefully that will play to our advantage because (teams) can’t avoid looking at trades,” Cuban said. “But I don’t have a preference one way or the other. I’m not going to do a trade just to do a trade, even if it’s a star. ... It’s hard to find just one guy who puts you over the top. It has to be somebody who gets us to the point where we could get back on track to where we want to be.”

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPNDallas

Bass, filler, and a pick for Marion.

A man can dream.

Actually, if the Cs could somehow trade for Marion without giving up a young asset I'd be really excited.  Marion could look really good playing next to KG.  Can do many of the thing Bass does only he's far more versatile, is a much better rebounder, and he can shoot from outside (a little).

That could be one way to upgrade our front-court without giving up the farm to acquire a young player with size.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Mavs aren't trading Marion for a role player (Bass) who has longer term deal like that. They want to keep their cap space open for this off season. Plus they aren't upgrading their rotation, they'd have a massive hole on the wing then.

« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2013, 10:16:52 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Mavs aren't trading Marion for a role player (Bass) who has longer term deal like that. They want to keep their cap space open for this off season. Plus they aren't upgrading their rotation, they'd have a massive hole on the wing then.
Not to mention that Marion is, well, Jeff Green. The only thing such a deal would do is create (more) positional logjam.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2013, 10:28:52 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Not to mention that Marion is, well, Jeff Green. The only thing such a deal would do is create (more) positional logjam.

I'd love Marion as much as the next guy but these replies are right. Marion isnt being traded for Bass. Also, we arent trading for Marion unless we have a deal in place for Green. And since Green is younger and at this point probably better than Marion due to Marions age, I just dont see it happening.

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Two completely different players - while Marion certainly on the decline, he's an incredible defensive player still. He's two years removed of doing as good of a job defending Lebron James as anyones ever seen.

Meanwhile Green is a much more polished offensive game. Not just the fluidity of his shot, but his ability to get to the rim and create also.

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2013, 10:35:15 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but particularly if Danny wants to use Green to get a big man, I wonder if LA would be interested in a Bass for Artest swap.

Artest would give another guy to throw at Lebron, and he would fit in with the C's defensive identity that they seem to be reclaiming. 

And for the Lakers, Bass would be a nice upgrade over Jamison as a midrange shooting PF who can run the pick and pop, and might be a decent fit in their system. 

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2013, 10:37:30 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Two completely different players - while Marion certainly on the decline, he's an incredible defensive player still. He's two years removed of doing as good of a job defending Lebron James as anyones ever seen.

Meanwhile Green is a much more polished offensive game. Not just the fluidity of his shot, but his ability to get to the rim and create also.
They are the same player from a roster management perspective, as in they can't be on the floor at the same time, because they can't really play multiple positions effectively. Therefore adding Marion would be pretty much a waste of resources.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."