Poll

What Is Your Gut Feel, Do You Sense It?

Yes
5 (45.5%)
No
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 17, 2013, 05:20:05 AM

Author Topic: Possible suitor for Bass?  (Read 29874 times)

Re: Possible suitor for Bass?
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah the Knicks are in some trouble.

If Sheed/Camby are both done as rotation players they can count on they're down to Kurt Thomas and Amar'e for other "bigs" beyond Chandler.

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2013, 10:04:27 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Why anyone would want to trade Bass, who is a reasonable player on a reasonable contract -- even given his current slump -- is beyond me.

Because he's a poor rebounder, a weak-to-mediocre defender and a limited offensive player with a rapidly improving rookie behind him looking like a better fit as a 5th starter (Sully's a much superior rebounder, progressing into a comparable defender, and offers a broader offensive skillset).

Makes sense to me.

His rebounding isn't great, but I don't see it as something terrible either.  I don't find myself complaining in games that his man is consistently getting offensive rebounds over him.  His DRR is 15.6% which is not much worse than that of Hibbert (17%), Javale Mcgee (16.7%), Taj Gibson (16.9%) or Pekovic (17.2%).  I'm only considering defensive rebounding here because celtics fans know that offensive rebounding is not exactly a choice of Bass' in our system.

His defense was "weak-to-mediocre"?  Who exactly has torched Bass that you've noticed?  I'll tell you that Josh Smith did NOT in the playoffs last year.  Elton Brand didn't do much either.  And Bass played very good team defense the entire series against Miami.  I'd say his defense is no worse than average and that's a pretty fair description.  Weak defenders get torched on the regular in the NBA.  Like Antawn Jamison.

He scored 12.5 ppg last season within the flow of the offense at a very good fg%.  I don't see what else you want from your 4th/5th option.  A 20 ppg scorer who can isolate his man?  His shooting has dropped this year, but his shot selection remains the same as last year and I think (as many others do) that his % will come back (51% in january so far).

If Sullinger proves he is starter-worthy, then yes down the road Bass will become expendable.  But we are competing for a championship here.  I am not as convinced that Sullinger can give us in the postseason what Bass gave us last year.  And given what the market seems to want to pay for Bass, I don't think it's wise to trade him yet.  Maybe in a year when Sullinger is further developed and as fluid in our system as Bass currently is.  Also, Bass' contract won't be as much of a long term commitment for other teams at that point.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2013, 10:05:20 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
If I knew that Camby would be healthy, I would LOVE to have him. He has always been a criminally underrated player in this league.

That said, he is having a tough time with injuries recently. He has barely played 100 minutes so far this season. It is showing up on the court, too: in fact, he is having his worst statistical season of his career, even adjusting for minutes played.

I know it's a small sample size, but his turnover rate is 20% for the season. That means 1 out of every 5 times he has touched the ball he has turned it over. It should be around half that (his career average is around 12%).

Anyway, if Camby can be healthy I would still take him. If he can play anything like he has the last 2 seasons he would be the best backup option available.

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The only deal I can think of where we could match salaries straight up is for Dalembert.

Don't think Danny would do a straight up deal, but I wouldn't be opposed entirely.  At least Dalembert is an expiring contract.  Maybe get Milwaukee to give up there 1st rd pick, or a swap of picks (ours for theirs).

Bass can't have too much value right now.  I wouldn't mind dumping his salary, and clearing more room for Sully in the rotation.

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If I knew that Camby would be healthy, I would LOVE to have him. He has always been a criminally underrated player in this league.

That said, he is having a tough time with injuries recently. He has barely played 100 minutes so far this season. It is showing up on the court, too: in fact, he is having his worst statistical season of his career, even adjusting for minutes played.

I know it's a small sample size, but his turnover rate is 20% for the season. That means 1 out of every 5 times he has touched the ball he has turned it over. It should be around half that (his career average is around 12%).

Anyway, if Camby can be healthy I would still take him. If he can play anything like he has the last 2 seasons he would be the best backup option available.

Don't think the Knicks will be trading Camby if he is healthy.

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The only deal I can think of where we could match salaries straight up is for Dalembert.

Don't think Danny would do a straight up deal, but I wouldn't be opposed entirely.  At least Dalembert is an expiring contract.  Maybe get Milwaukee to give up there 1st rd pick, or a swap of picks (ours for theirs).

Bass can't have too much value right now.  I wouldn't mind dumping his salary, and clearing more room for Sully in the rotation.

I've been liking Dalembert as part of a three-way deal with Bass to Milwaukee, Dalembert and picks to a team shedding a contract, and that third player to us.  Gortat, for instance.  Or Kaman (but as evidenced by another thread, I'm the only one who likes Kaman.) I wouldn't want to make such a trade unless we were getting back a pure 5, however.  I don't think we'll be able to get an upgrade on Bass for the specific role he fills.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:56:18 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Just imagine this for a second: Bass hitting his jumper at the same rate he was last year.

Man, our team would be so much better right now.

As much as I love Bass' hustle, without his jumper, he's a liability on the floor.

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »

Offline toine83

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
What about Jason Thompson?
The new Sonics would ask for Bradley in any trade with Boston...

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Will you also petition the NBA to increase the DQ limits to 10 fouls? Because Sullinger's limited minutes are certainly not because of Bass.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

There's plenty of room in the rotation for Sully with Bass playing. This isn't like the guard situation where we have 4-5 players competing for (eventually) mainly 3 spots. If we get rid of Bass we need another big capable of playing as many minutes as Bass does.

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2013, 12:29:51 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I'm not sure exactly how we'd work this but it would almost certainly have to be a three way and a small contract added to it but Kaman of Dallas is on a one year deal and they certainly aren't going anywhere.  Dallas doesn't use him nearly enough.

Kaman makes 8mil.  Bass 6mil. So we'd have to send out 7.5ish which means a two of the 800k contracts probably.  It doesn't work out well but Kaman would be the perfect kind of big center we could use.  He is a very underrated guy with a solid jumper, post game, and blocks shots.

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Keep in mind that if you trade Bass and somehow wind up with a legit starting center, then that moves KG back to the PF spot and Sully back to the bench. I don't think this improves our team. I think the key right now is to trade Bass for a future development guy if you are convinced that he can't help the team. Based on the playoffs last season, I think the guy should stay. Ride the hot hand with Sully and Bass and let them push each other to play better. Win, win. Wilcox comes in for KG, because the two of them definitely aren't great in there at the same time.

not really. you just tell the guy to play the 5 when we tell him to relieve Kg so we keep a RIM PROTECTOR in at all times. Wilcox is not a good rebounder nor can he block shots. we need a guy backing up KG that can do both of those things.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I'm not sure exactly how we'd work this but it would almost certainly have to be a three way and a small contract added to it but Kaman of Dallas is on a one year deal and they certainly aren't going anywhere.  Dallas doesn't use him nearly enough.

Kaman makes 8mil.  Bass 6mil. So we'd have to send out 7.5ish which means a two of the 800k contracts probably.  It doesn't work out well but Kaman would be the perfect kind of big center we could use.  He is a very underrated guy with a solid jumper, post game, and blocks shots.

We'd need to send out a little less than 6.4 mil for Kaman, so Bass + anyone works.  Sending out more helps with respect to the hard cap, but is not required.

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2013, 09:08:57 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

We'd need to send out a little less than 6.4 mil for Kaman, so Bass + anyone works.  Sending out more helps with respect to the hard cap, but is not required.

Dallas isn't taking on Bass... they are saving up for CP and DH run! Kaman is just what they need b/c he will be off the books.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2013, 09:16:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Dallas isn't taking on Bass... they are saving up for CP and DH run! Kaman is just what they need b/c he will be off the books.

Hence why the OP suggested a third team, and I suggested Dalembert earlier in this thread, as his expiring contract won't harm Cuban's off-season plans. 

So something like:

Bass to Milwaukee
Dalembert, Barbosa, and some sort of future draft compensation to Dallas
Kaman to Boston