Poll

What Is Your Gut Feel, Do You Sense It?

Yes
5 (45.5%)
No
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 17, 2013, 05:20:05 AM

Author Topic: Possible suitor for Bass?  (Read 29793 times)

Re: Possible suitor for Bass?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 05:43:47 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Why anyone would want to trade Bass, who is a reasonable player on a reasonable contract -- even given his current slump -- is beyond me.

This was on ESPN Insider today. They mention Brandon Bass, but I honestly have no idea what we would be able to ask for. Picks or possibly as a facilitator for a 3 team trade?

In my "Trade Chips" piece at ESPN Insider today, I mentioned the Rockets as a team that could be on the market for a veteran forward.

The presence of Jeremy Lin and James Harden has the Rockets set up well in the backcourt for years to come, but players like Brandon Bass and Amir Johnson could help take some pressure off of Patrick Patterson at the four.

How likely is it that Houston is active before the trade deadline? Will they be looking to deal? Here's Chad Ford with more.

So Bass is untouchable? Sounds... reasonable.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Trading bass to Houston for basically nothing could help facilitate the c's moving green to Memphis for Gay.

Boston gets Gay
Houston gets Bass
Memphis gets Green

Maybe throw in picks to both teams to sweeten the deal

As long as John Hollinger works for Memphis,  they're not taking Green.  And Rudy Gay would be waste backing up Paul.

This. you wouldnt start him at the 4 because everyone here already complains about small ball. Dont know why you would take gay to back up peirce who is on an even worse contract than jeff green and would probs put up relatively similar numbers if he was backing up pierce.

Give me a koufas/okafor/mozgov/dalembert type. I reckon you could get them for Bass + picks and they would slot right in

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
If bass and picks would get oakafor it's a no brainer

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 06:07:35 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
If bass and picks would get oakafor it's a no brainer

I am firmly hooked onto the Okafur train. I think we can get him relatively cheap.  Unfortunately, not as cheap as your suggestion. He has a 13M salary we have to come close to matching.  Bass and Lee or Terry probably does it (may need to add Collins). 

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 06:23:40 PM »

fitzhickey

Bass for Amir Johnson.  Guy's never averaged over 25 mins a game. His per 36 stats are good. 12 pts, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks and a steal. He's also only 25

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 06:35:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The problem is that the Celtics need an UPGRADE on Bass.  Who is going to trade us a legit player who is an upgrade at PF or C for Bass, who plays that position?

The Celtics would be fine with Bass and Sullinger as PF and getting an upgrade on Wilcox and Collins as the backup centers behind KG.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 12:13:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Why anyone would want to trade Bass, who is a reasonable player on a reasonable contract -- even given his current slump -- is beyond me.

This was on ESPN Insider today. They mention Brandon Bass, but I honestly have no idea what we would be able to ask for. Picks or possibly as a facilitator for a 3 team trade?

In my "Trade Chips" piece at ESPN Insider today, I mentioned the Rockets as a team that could be on the market for a veteran forward.

The presence of Jeremy Lin and James Harden has the Rockets set up well in the backcourt for years to come, but players like Brandon Bass and Amir Johnson could help take some pressure off of Patrick Patterson at the four.

How likely is it that Houston is active before the trade deadline? Will they be looking to deal? Here's Chad Ford with more.

So Bass is untouchable? Sounds... reasonable.
No, sounds like you're looking to put words in my mouth.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 02:51:10 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The fact that a Bass for Koufas trade is even mentioned gives me some hope on the type of return we could be looking at for Bass.

I think Bass needs to be traded. This has very little to do with how Bass has been playing. It has everything to do with our rotation. Sully at center and Bass at PF is very fare from ideal. As the season has progressed it is now become obvious that KG is still our #1 big and Sully has surpassed Bass as #2. For the #3 big we need more length and shot blocking than Bass can provide. Udoh or dalembert from the Bucks could fit this role. Wilcox and Collins fit very nicely as our #4 and #5 bigs.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 02:56:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bass's ability to play quality defense and hit jump shots helps the team a lot. While we need someone other than Garnett to anchor the defense its tough for me to see Bass being traded for a C who adds more than he does.

Big men who can anchor things like that are tough to come by. (clearly otherwise we'd have more than KG on our team)

Maybe if I thought we can count on Sullinger/Wilcox to man the PF spot I'd be for a trade. But Wilcox's injury history makes me doubt him, and Sullinger is a rookie....

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I think Bass needs to be traded. This has very little to do with how Bass has been playing. It has everything to do with our rotation. Sully at center and Bass at PF is very fare from ideal. As the season has progressed it is now become obvious that KG is still our #1 big and Sully has surpassed Bass as #2. For the #3 big we need more length and shot blocking than Bass can provide. Udoh or dalembert from the Bucks could fit this role. Wilcox and Collins fit very nicely as our #4 and #5 bigs.
Who starts then? Dont tell me you think Dalembert will work starting and theres a chance the chemistry never even forms and we go on another slumping losing streak (Bass has chemistry with our starting unit dating back to last year he knows the Celtic's system). I think it'd be a big mistake.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 03:09:13 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Bass's ability to play quality defense and hit jump shots helps the team a lot. While we need someone other than Garnett to anchor the defense its tough for me to see Bass being traded for a C who adds more than he does.

Big men who can anchor things like that are tough to come by. (clearly otherwise we'd have more than KG on our team)

Maybe if I thought we can count on Sullinger/Wilcox to man the PF spot I'd be for a trade. But Wilcox's injury history makes me doubt him, and Sullinger is a rookie....
Exactly and he's playoff tested and hit some HUGE shots for us last year also on the defensive end has had some HUGE blocks. He is all grit and balls a guy you want on your side to go to war with.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
I like Bass, but if Sully keeps getting minutes, he'll be ready to start over Bass in a month.

So if Denver is trading Koufos AND Anthony Randolph for Bass, you take them. Start KG and Sully, and use Koufos as a more than decent backup C. Randolph might finally get it, or not, but I've always liked to take a chance on him.

If Danny can get Koufos, Dalembert or Robin Lopez we're set. We don't need a starting C, we need some lenght off the bench and rim protection when KG isn't on the court.

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Keep in mind that if you trade Bass and somehow wind up with a legit starting center, then that moves KG back to the PF spot and Sully back to the bench. I don't think this improves our team. I think the key right now is to trade Bass for a future development guy if you are convinced that he can't help the team. Based on the playoffs last season, I think the guy should stay. Ride the hot hand with Sully and Bass and let them push each other to play better. Win, win. Wilcox comes in for KG, because the two of them definitely aren't great in there at the same time.

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I tend to agree with the contingent that says that while it'd be nice to trade Bass for a quality center, I'm not quite sure it's going to happen.  People talk about pairing him with Lee, but together they make about 10 million a year for this season and the next two (and Lee has an additional year after that).  I'm not sure how many teams want to take that on. 

I'm actually OK with Sully and Wilcox manning the 4 if the C's do manage to pull it off.  Assuming we traded Bass in a deal for a center, in the event that Wilcox went down again, we'd have the option of sliding Garnett back to the 4 to play alongside the new center, at least part of the time.  And Green can certainly play some 4 minutes. 

But again, I'm not sure how exactly we pull such a deal off, especially for a center who is actually an upgrade over Collins, who isn't great, but at least plays good defense. 

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 05:10:35 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Because he's a poor rebounder, a weak-to-mediocre defender and a limited offensive player with a rapidly improving rookie behind him looking like a better fit as a 5th starter (Sully's a much superior rebounder, progressing into a comparable defender, and offers a broader offensive skillset).

Makes sense to me.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri