Poll

What Is Your Gut Feel, Do You Sense It?

Yes
5 (45.5%)
No
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 17, 2013, 05:20:05 AM

Author Topic: Possible suitor for Bass?  (Read 29791 times)

Re: Possible suitor for Bass?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Why anyone would want to trade Bass, who is a reasonable player on a reasonable contract -- even given his current slump -- is beyond me.

Because he's a poor rebounder, a weak-to-mediocre defender and a limited offensive player with a rapidly improving rookie behind him looking like a better fit as a 5th starter (Sully's a much superior rebounder, progressing into a comparable defender, and offers a broader offensive skillset).

Makes sense to me.

Agreed.  And assuming that Wilcox gets healthy and that Bass can land us a center (though I'm very skeptical about that), there's no reason that a Sully/Wilcox PF rotation (with a sprinkling of Green) can't do quite well.

And I'd also add that for a guy who will likely be relegated to the backup 4 spot (or at least backup minutes, even if he starts) sooner rather than later, the 6+ million dollars he makes each of the next 3 years isn't that great, especially when we Wilcox at the minimum who could easily fill the role. 

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Keep in mind that if you trade Bass and somehow wind up with a legit starting center, then that moves KG back to the PF spot and Sully back to the bench. I don't think this improves our team.

The issue isn't so much who starts as the quality of the available big man pairings. Our 2nd & 3rd best bigs are both defensively challenged 4s, and Collins is the only healthy veteran center on the team other than KG.  This puts us in the bind of having to play KG huge minutes, play Collins or put up with Sully/Bass for extended stretches.

It doesn't really matter who starts as long as Doc keeps a capable 5 on the floor as much as possible.  That will help the team (and Sully).  Now if Doc is an idiot and only plays his 5s (KG + hypothetical new 5) together, while leaving Sully as the 5 alongside another small guy at 4 with the bench, then we have a problem, but Doc isn't an idiot (the bizarre extension of the Collins starting experiment notwithstanding).
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Why anyone would want to trade Bass, who is a reasonable player on a reasonable contract -- even given his current slump -- is beyond me.

Because he's a poor rebounder, a weak-to-mediocre defender and a limited offensive player with a rapidly improving rookie behind him looking like a better fit as a 5th starter (Sully's a much superior rebounder, progressing into a comparable defender, and offers a broader offensive skillset).

Makes sense to me.

Sully should continue to come off the bench, in part due to his foul rate. But I'd certainly prefer to see a better player starting in the frontcourt than Bass.

I can't see the Suns being interested in any package for Gortat built around Bass, no matter how many picks / cash get thrown... which sucks.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 05:41:49 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

I can't see Morey messing with their cap space. He still has his eye on Dwight this summer. Lakers seem to be imploding right before our eyes. Why would Dwight stick around with that core?

Because in a year or two Kobe will be gone and then Dwight gets to be the main man, and they can build the team around his strengths.

And we saw just how well that worked out in Orlando, didn't we. Dwight + 4 shooters is not how you win a title.

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 04:22:25 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Makes sense to me.
you aren't going to land anybody much better than Bass only giving up him and picks it'd have to be Lee or Bradley thrown in and its not worth it, this big we land isn't going to put us over the top chemistry could get ugly and we can be even worse
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 05:14:01 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The logical suitor for Bass is a playoff team that sees Bass as an upgrade over either their starting PF or their first big off the bench and is willing to give up a younger, taller, more athletic underperforming big who they have given up on, but who Ainge thinks will blossom in Boston despite not matching the production level of Bass so far.

Does such a team exist?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 06:56:07 AM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
The logical suitor for Bass is a playoff team that sees Bass as an upgrade over either their starting PF or their first big off the bench and is willing to give up a younger, taller, more athletic underperforming big who they have given up on, but who Ainge thinks will blossom in Boston despite not matching the production level of Bass so far.

Does such a team exist?

Denver??

They've got TPE from Nene trade and Mozgov, who's not getting any playing time. I don't remember where I read it, but they're supposely looking to improve their spacing and are quite thin at PF spot (only Manimal and A.Randolph on their roster? Btw, is Faried a PF or SF?).
I'm not sure they'd want Bass that much, but that could be a nice trade from Boston perspective. Get a better backup 5 and shed 3mil in salaries, so that we could chase some help with BAE...

I've got no other ideas.
///edit:
Actually, I just remembered, that during the Rockets-Lakers game this week, the broadcasters discussed Rockets need for upgrade in production at the 4 spot. But they should have a nice chunk of cap space next summer, so I doubt they would give it up on Bass. Secondly, it's not like they have any centers to spare.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:02:25 AM by stes »

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 08:11:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Does such a team exist?
well based on that criteria, "a younger, taller, more athletic underperforming big" that would describe Dwight Howard.  let's get that trade done!!  ;D

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 09:09:51 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Possibles I could see, maybe.

Bass and a first to Denver for Mozgof

Bass and a first to Lakers for Jordan Hill

Bass to the Bucks for Dalembert (not likely. Bucks have a lot of player in the front line)

Thats really about it that I can see. Not much of an upgrade in any of those deals from Wilcox. Bass for Camby I would do in a second. Not seeing much available for a bass trade.

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Faried is a PF, not a SF. He can't shoot, so there would be no spacing. Think Gerald Wallace early years only, far far worse.

I wouldn't give up a pick and rotation player to get Jordan Hill, even if he was healthy.

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 09:20:12 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Bass showed his worth last year. He is still young very solid player.

We should not trade him for 2 cents on the dollar.

Really Camby?

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 09:22:13 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Really Camby?

Sully makes Bass expendable and Camby gives this team EXACTLY what they need. A big man who can rebound, protect the rim, and defend, while not needing the ball on offense to change the game.

Him and KG could work wonders for Melo too.

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 09:34:57 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Really Camby?

Sully makes Bass expendable and Camby gives this team EXACTLY what they need.

An over the hill center, who is never actually able to play because he is always hurt.  Seems to fit the recent history of the team I suppose.

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 09:38:26 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Really Camby?

An over the hill center, who is never actually able to play because he is always hurt.  Seems to fit the recent history of the team I suppose.

At least he plays and makes a difference. Camby 10 minutes a game sign me up. More of a sure thing than Oden supporters (even thought I would take a chance Oden as well.)

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 09:45:49 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Really Camby?

At least he plays and makes a difference. Camby 10 minutes a game sign me up. More of a sure thing than Oden supporters (even thought I would take a chance Oden as well.)

My point is he doesn't play, and left last game in a walking boot.  He has played in 14 games this year.  Yeah, its better than Oden, but to me, the argument isn't Oden vs. Camby.

The thing about Camby is that you will have to give up a rotation player to get him, and you would have to take on his contract which makes Jason Terry's look prudent.  And you can't rely one bit on him being healthy when you need him, because his body is breaking down at an alarming rate.