Poll

What Is Your Gut Feel, Do You Sense It?

Yes
5 (45.5%)
No
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 17, 2013, 05:20:05 AM

Author Topic: Possible suitor for Bass?  (Read 29764 times)

Possible suitor for Bass?
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
This was on ESPN Insider today. They mention Brandon Bass, but I honestly have no idea what we would be able to ask for. Picks or possibly as a facilitator for a 3 team trade?

In my "Trade Chips" piece at ESPN Insider today, I mentioned the Rockets as a team that could be on the market for a veteran forward.

The presence of Jeremy Lin and James Harden has the Rockets set up well in the backcourt for years to come, but players like Brandon Bass and Amir Johnson could help take some pressure off of Patrick Patterson at the four.

How likely is it that Houston is active before the trade deadline? Will they be looking to deal? Here's Chad Ford with more.

Re: Possible suitor for Bass?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
There'd have to be more salary-wise, but I'd love to see us pick up Greg Smith.  Young, smart, and efficient (20+ PER), but stuck behind Asik. 

Not going to revolutionize the team but he'd help a bit this year and would be a good piece for the future.

Trading Bass for Aldrich (+ salary pieces) would not make me happy, though.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 04:40:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Hmm. I have to think Daryl Morey will look to make a bigger splash than adding Bass before the deadline. Rockets have cap space (nearly $7 mil) and a bevy of young talent to consolidate via a trade.

I'm surprised we haven't already heard of Houston as a potential destination for Rudy Gay.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:42:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is what is said:

*Can't be traded until Jan. 15

It's no secret that Boston is looking to add a key big man who can take some of the load off 36-year-old Kevin Garnett, and dealing Bass is one of the ways it might be able to do so. The tricky part in any deal that involves moving Bass to a contender will be getting a quality big man back in return.

One trade that could make sense might be Denver's Kosta Koufos and a throw-in like Anthony Randolph for Bass, but it's doubtful that the Nuggets would want to take on the nearly $14 million owed to Bass beyond this season. And Koufos might not be enough to move the needle, with the window of opportunity for a championship rapidly closing in Beantown.

Good fits: Pacers, Nuggets, Rockets, Trail Blazers

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 04:50:18 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I can't see Morey messing with their cap space. He still has his eye on Dwight this summer. Lakers seem to be imploding right before our eyes. Why would Dwight stick around with that core?

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The problem is that the Celtics need an UPGRADE on Bass.  Who is going to trade us a legit player who is an upgrade at PF or C for Bass, who plays that position?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 05:06:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Why anyone would want to trade Bass, who is a reasonable player on a reasonable contract -- even given his current slump -- is beyond me.

This was on ESPN Insider today. They mention Brandon Bass, but I honestly have no idea what we would be able to ask for. Picks or possibly as a facilitator for a 3 team trade?

In my "Trade Chips" piece at ESPN Insider today, I mentioned the Rockets as a team that could be on the market for a veteran forward.

The presence of Jeremy Lin and James Harden has the Rockets set up well in the backcourt for years to come, but players like Brandon Bass and Amir Johnson could help take some pressure off of Patrick Patterson at the four.

How likely is it that Houston is active before the trade deadline? Will they be looking to deal? Here's Chad Ford with more.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I can't see Morey messing with their cap space. He still has his eye on Dwight this summer. Lakers seem to be imploding right before our eyes. Why would Dwight stick around with that core?

Because in a year or two Kobe will be gone and then Dwight gets to be the main man, and they can build the team around his strengths.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 05:09:14 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
JJ Hickson for bass? Sure thanks
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
The problem is that the Celtics need an UPGRADE on Bass.  Who is going to trade us a legit player who is an upgrade at PF or C for Bass, who plays that position?
agreed but if bass + someone/thing could improve us at that position great
if bass for a player of reasonable skills but TALLER might make sense as well
i do like the open spots that ainge has currently

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 05:23:52 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Trading bass to Houston for basically nothing could help facilitate the c's moving green to Memphis for Gay.

Boston gets Gay
Houston gets Bass
Memphis gets Green

Maybe throw in picks to both teams to sweeten the deal

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I know we are all really liking what we are seeing out of Sullinger but let's not forget that the starting 5 of Rondo, PP, AB, Bass, and KG was VERY effective last year especially at the end of the season into the playoffs. And Bass was a key part of that unit. He was a solid scoring option in that unit and was money with the pick and pop plays.

Honestly, I'm not sure what way to go. I know we need a backup center and that Bass/Sully lineups aren't good, but I want to see what this starting unit can do now that it is back together.

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 05:36:17 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Why anyone would want to trade Bass, who is a reasonable player on a reasonable contract -- even given his current slump -- is beyond me.

Considering that him and Sully don't mix well, if you can find someone who's a better fit, then I don't see the problem.

I personally like Wilcox over him anyways, so to me he's the big to trade if the team is pressed for a center.

There are two possibilities in my scenario... find a legit center who'll serve you well for a couple of years, the second is a center who can give you good minutes this year, but is an expiring contract, which will guaranteed you full mid-level next year.

So I can see plenty of reasons why Bass is the player to trade to upgrade the roster.

My preference is still to find someone in the market without having to trade, but if I have to decide on who to trade over our current bigs who are rotation players to trade, it would be Bass.

If we can somehow discover how to use Bass and Sully together effectively, then I would reconsider, but I don't see it happening personally.

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Trading bass to Houston for basically nothing could help facilitate the c's moving green to Memphis for Gay.

Boston gets Gay
Houston gets Bass
Memphis gets Green

As long as John Hollinger works for Memphis,  they're not taking Green.  And Rudy Gay would be waste backing up Paul.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 05:39:32 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Boston gets Gay
Houston gets Bass
Memphis gets Green

Mmmmm, what?