Author Topic: The Sonics are back. Ballmer-led group buys the Kings to bring back to Seattle.  (Read 14733 times)

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/9/3856192/steve-ballmer-led-group-to-buy-sacramento-kings-bring-basketball-back

A group led by the CEO of Microsoft has bought the Kings.

Demarcus Cousins tweeted one word "wow." lol

If I had to guess, itll be Windows Arena, Bing Arena, or Microsoft Arena.

EDIT: looks like the bid may have been rejected by the Maloofs.

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
I'm really torn on this whole ordeal.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
You kill the Kings to get back the Sonics and the bobcats remain...

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
How exactly is our chances of getting DMC affected by this?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If the Celtics are willing to give up Rondo, the chances are increased.

If the offer is still Lee / Bradley + Sullinger and picks, then the chances are decreased (though they were neary non-existent to begin with).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

No idea.  On the brightside, it will end the freeze that was likely going on because of the pending sale, but on the downside, we don't know whether the new owners will be as motivated to move Cousins right now, or not. 

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

Feel like this deserves a second tweet: Less than one year ago the Maloofs were WEEPING of joy at coming to an arena agreement. WEEPING.

The Maloofs are a complete joke...Sacramento deserves better than this.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

Feel like this deserves a second tweet: Less than one year ago the Maloofs were WEEPING of joy at coming to an arena agreement. WEEPING.

The problem is, the Maloofs couldn't afford the team.  They just needed to sell.  So, I can't blame them for this too much, since I am not sure there were many buyers that would keep the team in Sacramento.

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Hate to see a city lose a sports team in any sport..Esp. Sac b/c its only pro team they have
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

The problem is, the Maloofs couldn't afford the team.  They just needed to sell.  So, I can't blame them for this too much, since I am not sure there were many buyers that would keep the team in Sacramento.

This hurts a lot for Kings fans, but for the NBA as a whole this is definitely a good thing because that team clearly needed an ownership change.  Teams tend to be much better run and more competitive (i.e. put a better product on the floor) when they have owners who have plenty of money to spend and the ability to focus their efforts on building a strong roster.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Sad day and happy day. Similar to the creation of the Ravens. Sort of like your wife leaves you and a few years later your buddy's wife leaves him for you.

Offline Shad0wman

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
As a resident of Seattle for the last 3+ years, I think its safe to say California can give up ONE OUT OF ITS FOUR TEAMS so that Seattle can have a team back.

Go BingSonicSpacemen!!!!

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hope they bring back the classic DJ/Gus Williams/early Kemp unis.   Not those horrendous Frank Brickowski unis of the mid 90s.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Supersonics are back
Somewhere dj is smiling

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

From a business standpoint, you're right, they did what they had to do. But it was their incompetence as an ownership group in the first place that created this mess. Just a really crappy deal for Kings fans and the city of Sacramento that don't deserve this.

As a resident of Seattle for the last 3+ years, I think its safe to say California can give up ONE OUT OF ITS FOUR TEAMS so that Seattle can have a team back.

Go BingSonicSpacemen!!!!

While I'm happy for the city of Seattle, those fans more than anyone should know how heartbreaking it is losing a franchise that you love. Just because your team was "stolen" from you in the past doesn't make it OK for you to do the same. Not Seattle's fault of course, but it's not something I would necessarily rejoice in if I were them.