Poll

Hypothetical the new Supersonics offer Cousins and Evans for Rondo; Deal or No Deal?

Deal
55 (57.9%)
No Deal
40 (42.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Poll: Seatle Supersonics knocks and offer Cousins+Evans for Rondo? Deal/No Deal  (Read 28211 times)

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'm a big fan of having character guys on team.  Young mr rondo is a leader, plays injured and doesn't complain , does whatever it takes to win and seems to do what is best for the team.
Does cousins fall into ANY of those categories?

Are we talking about Rondo? The one that plays whenever he wants? The one that led a team meeting a couple years back that went pretty bad? The one that threw a water bottle during a film session and then stormed off? The one that has been suspended twice in the last 7 months for two different issues with the refs? Cousins has had his issues, but let's not confuse Rondo with CP3.
not even in the same park, short memory on what rondo has done in his short six years or so?
Guy that nearly averaged a triple double for a playoff series??
Cousins has size, talent and is young.   He has yet to prove any of the above

Let's not forget that in the poll we'd be getting Evans too. I'm not saying Cousins is an angel, but neither is Rondo. He's one of the main reasons Allen bolted to Miami.

Yes, along with Doc, Danny, Avery, PP and KG (and I probably missed someone).

I think Rondo has been tremely fortunate to be with a veteran team and a coach like Doc for all, but his rookie year. And he's still had his bouts of immaturity. I'd be curious to see how Rondo's career had gone had he been in that toxic waste that has been Kings basketball.

He'd have been more of a focal point on offense on a team like that. Not necessarily a better player, but shooting and scoring more and passing less. Most of his critics would probably think he's much better because of the scoring.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'm a big fan of having character guys on team.  Young mr rondo is a leader, plays injured and doesn't complain , does whatever it takes to win and seems to do what is best for the team.

Are we talking about Rondo? The one that plays whenever he wants? The one that led a team meeting a couple years back that went pretty bad? The one that threw a water bottle during a film session and then stormed off? The one that has been suspended twice in the last 7 months for two different issues with the refs? Cousins has had his issues, but let's not confuse Rondo with CP3.

Wait, so he led a team meeting that went poorly and he once threw a water bottle during a film session? Wow. I can't believe Ainge didn't try and void his contracts after those antics. And he'd need to force a trade to a team of his choosing before he'd be confused with CP3.

It was a little more than how you described it.

Rajon Rondo(notes) directed his teammates to gather in the back of the cabin.

“Go ahead,” Doc Rivers warned his players, “but it will be an awful meeting.”

Rondo appeared to want his teammates to air out complaints in the early evening of April 14, but it rapidly deteriorated into a grievance session that had the uncomfortable vibe of the young guys against the Big 3 of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce(notes) and Ray Allen(notes). For some Celtics, there was a sense that Rondo had prodded the younger teammates to speak out on the tough-love tactics of the vets.

Rondo never vented, but one teammate who had challenged K.G. later confessed privately that he wished he had never spoken up, that he didn’t even believe the whiny words tumbling out of his mouth. Rondo insists he had the best of intentions, and yet there’s no mistaking the fact the meeting served to widen a gulf between him and his older teammates.

As the flight touched down in Philadelphia, Allen filed past his coach and insisted, “Boy, you were right.”

Rivers didn’t reveal the meeting to Yahoo! Sports, but was honest about its consequences.

I don't see why you're using this as an example of Rondo being a head case. Obviously there was a rift between players on the team, and Rondo made an attempt to resolve the issue.

I bolded the key part.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

not even in the same park, short memory on what rondo has done in his short six years or so?

Let's not forget that in the poll we'd be getting Evans too. I'm not saying Cousins is an angel, but neither is Rondo. He's one of the main reasons Allen bolted to Miami.

I think Rondo has been tremely fortunate to be with a veteran team and a coach like Doc for all, but his rookie year. And he's still had his bouts of immaturity. I'd be curious to see how Rondo's career had gone had he been in that toxic waste that has been Kings basketball.

He'd have been more of a focal point on offense on a team like that. Not necessarily a better player, but shooting and scoring more and passing less. Most of his critics would probably think he's much better because of the scoring.

I won't bother rehashing the Allen saga.

Rondo on the Kings would've been interesting. I would love to have seen him "thrive" in the culture. Or perhaps his much chronicled difficult personality would've been magnified.

Nevertheless, you seem to value Rondo more than I do. If you don't think Cousins and Evans for Rondo is a great return then we'll agree to disagree. That said, where is that you rank Rondo in terms of overall NBA players? Curious as it's likely much higher than I have him.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Wait, so he led a team meeting that went poorly and he once threw a water bottle during a film session? Wow. I can't believe Ainge didn't try and void his contracts after those antics. And he'd need to force a trade to a team of his choosing before he'd be confused with CP3.

It was a little more than how you described it.

Rajon Rondo(notes) directed his teammates to gather in the back of the cabin.

“Go ahead,” Doc Rivers warned his players, “but it will be an awful meeting.”

Rondo appeared to want his teammates to air out complaints in the early evening of April 14, but it rapidly deteriorated into a grievance session that had the uncomfortable vibe of the young guys against the Big 3 of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce(notes) and Ray Allen(notes). For some Celtics, there was a sense that Rondo had prodded the younger teammates to speak out on the tough-love tactics of the vets.

Rondo never vented, but one teammate who had challenged K.G. later confessed privately that he wished he had never spoken up, that he didn’t even believe the whiny words tumbling out of his mouth. Rondo insists he had the best of intentions, and yet there’s no mistaking the fact the meeting served to widen a gulf between him and his older teammates.

As the flight touched down in Philadelphia, Allen filed past his coach and insisted, “Boy, you were right.”

Rivers didn’t reveal the meeting to Yahoo! Sports, but was honest about its consequences.

I don't see why you're using this as an example of Rondo being a head case. Obviously there was a rift between players on the team, and Rondo made an attempt to resolve the issue.

I bolded the key part.

So? There was clearly a rift between players on the team and Rondo encouraged the players who were upset to talk things out with the other players. Hardly an indictment against him.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Rondo on the Kings would've been interesting. I would love to have seen him "thrive" in the culture. Or perhaps his much chronicled difficult personality would've been magnified.

Nevertheless, you seem to value Rondo more than I do. If you don't think Cousins and Evans for Rondo is a great return then we'll agree to disagree. That said, where is that you rank Rondo in terms of overall NBA players? Curious as it's likely much higher than I have him.

And you seem to have a higher value on Cousins and Evans that I do. You had a longish post comparing the stats of the three players and talking about ranking them. But I'd pose a different question. One of the players in the comparison has been widely seen as one of the top performers in the league in the playoffs in multiple years. What do you think the odds are you'll ever be able to say that about one of the other two?

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

And you seem to have a higher value on Cousins and Evans that I do. You had a longish post comparing the stats of the three players and talking about ranking them. But I'd pose a different question. One of the players in the comparison has been widely seen as one of the top performers in the league in the playoffs in multiple years. What do you think the odds are you'll ever be able to say that about one of the other two?

Considering Evans is 23 and Cousins is 22 I would say the odds are extremely high. Especially with Cousins. Bigs take so long to develop and what he has the potential of being at Rondo's current age is downright scary.

So your turn, who do you think is better than Rondo? James, Durant...?

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I 'm all over making RONDO the new GARY PAYTON at Seattle ... ;D

Send Cousins ...EAST  BOUND  ...!!!  WOO HOO!!!

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Like what people said about the Perk-JG trade, do it in the offseason if at all. The chemistry is too good right now.

That said, this trade sounds about right for us. Not sure if the Kings have any incentive though. Rondo puts you over the hump if you have a borderline contender.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Considering Evans is 23 and Cousins is 22 I would say the odds are extremely high. Especially with Cousins. Bigs take so long to develop and what he has the potential of being at Rondo's current age is downright scary.

Sure, I think James and Durant are better than Rondo. But if the odds on Cousins being one of the best players in the league multiple times was extremely high then we wouldn't be discussing trade scenarios involving him.

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Here is an interesting qoute from this article

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225512/Exec_Significant_Trades_Unlikely_Until_February

The NBA’s trade deadline remains more than a month away, but rumors have begun to intensify with franchise cornerstones like Rudy Gay, DeMarcus Cousins, Zach Randolph and Rajon Rondo showing up in reports across the league.

While speculation in the media has increased, there hasn’t been a ton of substantive talk among NBA teams at this point. After a conversation with a league executive on Wednesday, the takeaway was that we may not see any significant moves for a few weeks.

i thought it was interesting they mention Rondo. I have not seen any Rondo rumors

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225512/Exec_Significant_Trades_Unlikely_Until_February

The NBA’s trade deadline remains more than a month away, but rumors have begun to intensify with franchise cornerstones like Rudy Gay, DeMarcus Cousins, Zach Randolph and Rajon Rondo showing up in reports across the league.

While speculation in the media has increased, there hasn’t been a ton of substantive talk among NBA teams at this point. After a conversation with a league executive on Wednesday, the takeaway was that we may not see any significant moves for a few weeks.

i thought it was interesting they mention Rondo. I have not seen any Rondo rumors

You haven't seen Rondo rumors, because this is a Celtics site, where we think everyone can be had for our spare pieces.  There have been plenty of rumblings and speculation that Rondo would be the main piece in a Cousins deal.

As far as the timing, that sounds about right.  It is very rare that deals happen this far before the trade deadline. 

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Sure, I think James and Durant are better than Rondo. But if the odds on Cousins being one of the best players in the league multiple times was extremely high then we wouldn't be discussing trade scenarios involving him.

You've yet to answer where you rank Rondo. Who else besides Durant and James? Or is that it and you have Rondo as the 3rd best player in the world?

The only reason Cousins is being discussed is because of his personality issues. If it weren't for that, he would be one of the most untouchable guys in the NBA. Yes, more untouchable than Rondo.

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5

You haven't seen Rondo rumors, because this is a Celtics site, where we think everyone can be had for our spare pieces.  There have been plenty of rumblings and speculation that Rondo would be the main piece in a Cousins deal.

As far as the timing, that sounds about right.  It is very rare that deals happen this far before the trade deadline.

Great point... it amazes me that so many people think  you can get another teams top 5 player by sacrificing our under performing role players. Everyone else on the team is considered untouchable.  You have to give something to get something.

Ex. Reports came out that say the clippers were considering giving the cavs Jordan for vareajo before his injury.  A realistic possibility like that would be unfathomable by a lot of celtics fans. We are already making fab Melo untouchable

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

You've yet to answer where you rank Rondo. Who else besides Durant and James? Or is that it and you have Rondo as the 3rd best player in the world?

There's a lot of fluidity for "best player" below LeBron and KD. Who's the best team in the league? The answer right now is different than it was in December and probably November and probably different than it will be in May and June. Same with top players.

The only reason Cousins is being discussed is because of his personality issues. If it weren't for that, he would be one of the most untouchable guys in the NBA. Yes, more untouchable than Rondo.

So with Bynum and Howard on the shelf you must be expecting Cousins to run away with 1st team all-nba and be an mvp candidate, since that award isn't usually based on personality.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

So with Bynum and Howard on the shelf you must be expecting Cousins to run away with 1st team all-nba and be an mvp candidate, since that award isn't usually based on personality.
Because those two things are so clearly related.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."