Poll

Hypothetical the new Supersonics offer Cousins and Evans for Rondo; Deal or No Deal?

Deal
55 (57.9%)
No Deal
40 (42.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Poll: Seatle Supersonics knocks and offer Cousins+Evans for Rondo? Deal/No Deal  (Read 28186 times)

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
28 people here would say "no deal" is interesting. Perhaps a case of overvaluing ones own players.

Forgetting names for a second, how would you rank the following 3 players? Obviously keeping in mind age and adjusting the productivity based on minutes per game.

Player 1:

Age-26
MPG-37.2
PPG-13.2
RPG-5.2
APG-11.3
FG%-49.5
FT%-62.9
TO's-3.7

Player 2:

Age-22 (6-11)
MPG-30.4
PPG-17.2
RPG-10.2
APG-2.6
FG%-42.7
FT%-77.8
TO's-2.5

Player 3:

Age-23
MPG-29.5
PPG-14.6
RPG-4.6
APG-3.2
FG%-45.1
FT%-79.0
TO's-2.1

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'm a big fan of having character guys on team.  Young mr rondo is a leader, plays injured and doesn't complain , does whatever it takes to win and seems to do what is best for the team.
Does cousins fall into ANY of those categories?

Are we talking about Rondo? The one that plays whenever he wants? The one that led a team meeting a couple years back that went pretty bad? The one that threw a water bottle during a film session and then stormed off? The one that has been suspended twice in the last 7 months for two different issues with the refs? Cousins has had his issues, but let's not confuse Rondo with CP3.
not even in the same park, short memory on what rondo has done in his short six years or so?
Guy that nearly averaged a triple double for a playoff series??
Cousins has size, talent and is young.   He has yet to prove any of the above

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
28 people here would say "no deal" is interesting. Perhaps a case of overvaluing ones own players.

Forgetting names for a second, how would you rank the following 3 players? Obviously keeping in mind age and adjusting the productivity based on minutes per game.

Player 1:

Age-26
MPG-37.2
PPG-13.2
RPG-5.2
APG-11.3
FG%-49.5
FT%-62.9
TO's-3.7

Player 2:

Age-22 (6-11)
MPG-30.4
PPG-17.2
RPG-10.2
APG-2.6
FG%-42.7
FT%-77.8
TO's-2.5

Player 3:

Age-23
MPG-29.5
PPG-14.6
RPG-4.6
APG-3.2
FG%-45.1
FT%-79.0
TO's-2.1

"29"...I voted No Deal, too.

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
It's illogical to consider Evans or Cousins as me-first players, when the only team they have ever played for wasn't going anywhere whatever they might have done.
I'd like to first see those within a good team and then, if they are still chemistry breakers, I will talk about them being cancers.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'm a big fan of having character guys on team.  Young mr rondo is a leader, plays injured and doesn't complain , does whatever it takes to win and seems to do what is best for the team.

Are we talking about Rondo? The one that plays whenever he wants? The one that led a team meeting a couple years back that went pretty bad? The one that threw a water bottle during a film session and then stormed off? The one that has been suspended twice in the last 7 months for two different issues with the refs? Cousins has had his issues, but let's not confuse Rondo with CP3.

Wait, so he led a team meeting that went poorly and he once threw a water bottle during a film session? Wow. I can't believe Ainge didn't try and void his contracts after those antics. And he'd need to force a trade to a team of his choosing before he'd be confused with CP3.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

not even in the same park, short memory on what rondo has done in his short six years or so?
Guy that nearly averaged a triple double for a playoff series??
Cousins has size, talent and is young.   He has yet to prove any of the above

Let's not forget that in the poll we'd be getting Evans too. I'm not saying Cousins is an angel, but neither is Rondo. He's one of the main reasons Allen bolted to Miami. Rondo has had his issues, just like Cousins. He even had his issue with Tubby Smith. I think Rondo has been tremely fortunate to be with a veteran team and a coach like Doc for all, but his rookie year. And he's still had his bouts of immaturity. I'd be curious to see how Rondo's career had gone had he been in that toxic waste that has been Kings basketball.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
But NO NO NO to them changing their name to the Sonics. Charlotte wants to do this with the Hornets and Cleveland already did this with the Browns. These franchises are not their predecessors and it really just muddies up the histories - Would Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Detlef Schrempf, etc be a part of what is now the Thunder or the former Kings? It just rubs me the wrong way!

The real question is, when are the former Kings finally gonna hang the 1951 Rochester Royals championship banner?

TP - That is a great question and I wonder why they don't. They only changed cities - the team that is in Sacramento can be traced all of the way back to Rochester, Cincinnati, and KC.

At least Rochester, Cincinnati, and KC didn't create new teams called the Royals. That is where my major issue with these re-naming of teams  >:(

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Wait, so he led a team meeting that went poorly and he once threw a water bottle during a film session? Wow. I can't believe Ainge didn't try and void his contracts after those antics. And he'd need to force a trade to a team of his choosing before he'd be confused with CP3.

It was a little more than how you described it.

Rajon Rondo(notes) directed his teammates to gather in the back of the cabin.

“Go ahead,” Doc Rivers warned his players, “but it will be an awful meeting.”

Rondo appeared to want his teammates to air out complaints in the early evening of April 14, but it rapidly deteriorated into a grievance session that had the uncomfortable vibe of the young guys against the Big 3 of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce(notes) and Ray Allen(notes). For some Celtics, there was a sense that Rondo had prodded the younger teammates to speak out on the tough-love tactics of the vets.

Rondo never vented, but one teammate who had challenged K.G. later confessed privately that he wished he had never spoken up, that he didn’t even believe the whiny words tumbling out of his mouth. Rondo insists he had the best of intentions, and yet there’s no mistaking the fact the meeting served to widen a gulf between him and his older teammates.

As the flight touched down in Philadelphia, Allen filed past his coach and insisted, “Boy, you were right.”

Rivers didn’t reveal the meeting to Yahoo! Sports, but was honest about its consequences.

With the Boston Celtics reportedly shopping Rajon Rondo this offseason, the notion that the point guard can be a difficult teammate has been bouncing around the league. The Hornets, being offered Rondo in a package for Chris Paul, were hesitant to do the deal largely because of Rondo’s attitude, some reports said. Now, an incident documented by the Boston Herald offers an example of Rondo’s negativity.

During a video session between Games 2 and 3 of the Celtics’ playoff series with the Heat last season, Rondo stood up to defended himself after having his errors pointed out by assistant coaches. Head coach Doc Rivers talked back at Rondo, who then threw a bottle that shattered the video screen.

Say what you want about Paul, but in the annual GM poll he was voted the best leader in the NBA.

Which player is the best leader?
1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 27.6%
2. Kevin Garnett, Boston -- 20.7%
3. Chauncey Billups, L.A. Clippers -- 10.3%, Tim Duncan, San Antonio -- 10.3%, LeBron James, Miami -- 10.3%, Steve Nash, L.A. Lakers -- 10.3%

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
i voted no deal too

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Offline drax

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
No.

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
If the end results end up being basically 50/50, that means its a great trade for both teams. Balanced trades usually are the ones that are the most evenly debated
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:18:17 PM by Accension13 »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
Null

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It would be very hard, but if push came to shove I'd have to say yes, and here are some reasons why: 

1. Versatility
Ever since Marquis went we have been desperately lacking a versatile swingman who could play multiple positions.  Marquis could play PG, SG or SF each equally effectively, and he could defend all three just as well.

Tyreke Evans would give us exactly that, becuase like Marquis he can play either of those three positions. 

Not only does this give us better versatility (the ability to match up with big or small lineups) but it also gives us great insurance in the case of an injury or foul trouble. 

2. Scoring
Between the two of them Evans and Cousins are averaging 32 PPG.  Pierce is currently our leading scorer at 19 PPG and KG our second leading scorer at 15 PPG. 

Evans (15 PPG) and Cousins (17 PPG) would immediately become our second and 2nd and 3rd scoring options.  This takes pressure off KG who can now focus on defense and rebounding.

Rondo currently averages about 13 PPG, so that's a lot of extra offensive firepower gained by this trade...on a team that's drastically lacking offensive firepower.

3. Size
By trading Rondo for Evans and Cousins, we've just fixed two of our consdierable size problems. 

The first is size in the backcourt.  We currently have 5 guards on this team, and 4 of them are 6'3" or under.  That makes it difficult for us to defend larger backcourts like the Nets (Williams + Johnson).  If we get Evans we can have a Badley/Evans starting lineup and a Terry/Barbosa/Lee bench.  That means we have the ability to ALWAYS have a larger guard on the court.

The second is size in the frontcourt.  With the addition of Cousins we now have four bigs who are 6'10" or bigger (Cousins, Garnett, Collins, Wilcox).  This ensures that we never EVER need to have an undersized 6'8" Bass or Sully trying to slug it out at Center. 

Much as I'd hate to see Rondo go, this trade just helps us in far too many ways, and given that the contracts match up we probably don't need to give up much (if any) more to make it happen.  Plus we then have 5 guys who are 23 or younger, so our future is absolutely set.

To make things even better, we only need to give up one guy.  We still have Barbosa, Lee, Bass, Sully and Bradley and Green.  That means we still have a ton of trade chips in case we need to pull one more small move to round out the roster. 

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
It would be very hard, but if push came to shove I'd have to say yes, and here are some reasons why: 

1. Versatility
Ever since Marquis went we have been desperately lacking a versatile swingman who could play multiple positions.  Marquis could play PG, SG or SF each equally effectively, and he could defend all three just as well.

Tyreke Evans would give us exactly that, becuase like Marquis he can play either of those three positions. 

Not only does this give us better versatility (the ability to match up with big or small lineups) but it also gives us great insurance in the case of an injury or foul trouble. 

2. Scoring
Between the two of them Evans and Cousins are averaging 32 PPG.  Pierce is currently our leading scorer at 19 PPG and KG our second leading scorer at 15 PPG. 

Evans (15 PPG) and Cousins (17 PPG) would immediately become our second and 2nd and 3rd scoring options.  This takes pressure off KG who can now focus on defense and rebounding.

Rondo currently averages about 13 PPG, so that's a lot of extra offensive firepower gained by this trade...on a team that's drastically lacking offensive firepower.

3. Size
By trading Rondo for Evans and Cousins, we've just fixed two of our consdierable size problems. 

The first is size in the backcourt.  We currently have 5 guards on this team, and 4 of them are 6'3" or under.  That makes it difficult for us to defend larger backcourts like the Nets (Williams + Johnson).  If we get Evans we can have a Badley/Evans starting lineup and a Terry/Barbosa/Lee bench.  That means we have the ability to ALWAYS have a larger guard on the court.

The second is size in the frontcourt.  With the addition of Cousins we now have four bigs who are 6'10" or bigger (Cousins, Garnett, Collins, Wilcox).  This ensures that we never EVER need to have an undersized 6'8" Bass or Sully trying to slug it out at Center. 

Much as I'd hate to see Rondo go, this trade just helps us in far too many ways, and given that the contracts match up we probably don't need to give up much (if any) more to make it happen.  Plus we then have 5 guys who are 23 or younger, so our future is absolutely set.

To make things even better, we only need to give up one guy.  We still have Barbosa, Lee, Bass, Sully and Bradley and Green.  That means we still have a ton of trade chips in case we need to pull one more small move to round out the roster.

Great points!

TP!

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It was a little more than how you described it.

Rajon Rondo(notes) directed his teammates to gather in the back of the cabin.

“Go ahead,” Doc Rivers warned his players, “but it will be an awful meeting.”

Rondo appeared to want his teammates to air out complaints in the early evening of April 14, but it rapidly deteriorated into a grievance session that had the uncomfortable vibe of the young guys against the Big 3 of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce(notes) and Ray Allen(notes). For some Celtics, there was a sense that Rondo had prodded the younger teammates to speak out on the tough-love tactics of the vets.

Rondo never vented, but one teammate who had challenged K.G. later confessed privately that he wished he had never spoken up, that he didn’t even believe the whiny words tumbling out of his mouth. Rondo insists he had the best of intentions, and yet there’s no mistaking the fact the meeting served to widen a gulf between him and his older teammates.

As the flight touched down in Philadelphia, Allen filed past his coach and insisted, “Boy, you were right.”

Rivers didn’t reveal the meeting to Yahoo! Sports, but was honest about its consequences.

I don't see why you're using this as an example of Rondo being a head case. Obviously there was a rift between players on the team, and Rondo made an attempt to resolve the issue.