Poll

Hypothetical the new Supersonics offer Cousins and Evans for Rondo; Deal or No Deal?

Deal
55 (57.9%)
No Deal
40 (42.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Poll: Seatle Supersonics knocks and offer Cousins+Evans for Rondo? Deal/No Deal  (Read 28198 times)

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
So uhm. Does Hansen like Cousins, then? Were the Maloofs trying to showcase the team for this sale when they demanded he be reinstated from his suspension? Obviously this deal didn't just come to fruition over night.

Kind of crossing my fingers the Kings have a fire sale now.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Yes.  Tyreke isn't an ideal point guard, but I think our offense would be okay with a further increase on team-wide ball movement.  I'd probably try to move Tyreke for a guy like Mike Conley / Kyle Lowry, but it's just too much talent coming back to pass up.

Agree. Bradley and Evans could be really tough next to each other, particularly if Avery continues to be an above average long 2 / 3 point shooter.

I also doubt Evans will get big offers as an RFA this summer, meaning the Cs could retain him for reasonable money.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
That said, I really can't see the Sonics NOT trading Cousins prior to next season.  I just can't see them avoiding it.  Most people out here are still on the fence about the NBA.. if they aren't still claiming they are going to outright boycott it.  Many of them are bitter and haven't watched a single game since the SOnics were stolen... and point to any little "issue" as being why they "don't miss the NBA".  The last thing that team needs is their best player to be a wildcard... temper tantrums and trade demands.  It could sink the whole marketing effort... because you KNOW that the first thing that Seattle group is going to have to do is repair the fan relationship with the league.  Cousins can't possibly fit into that.  I think Cousins has a great future ahead of him... a Rasheed/Zach Randolph type of headcase who eventually ends up the best player on a good team... but him playing in Seattle is way too risky for that ownership group. 

Still... my bet would be that he gets traded in the offseason... probably for a high lotto pick or something... not traded to the Celtics

I do think that, if ownership is finalized before the trading deadline, there could be some moves to either trim payroll (save the new owners some dough; they just laid out $500 million) and/or to overhaul that roster to produce a team that Seattle might get excited about.

Is Cousins a "Seattle" guy? Tyreke Evans? Jimmer? I don't know.

If money isn't a concern, perhaps you'll see the Kings make a play for Rudy Gay. A Gay/Tyreke/Cousins combination would make for some exciting/combustible basketball.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
WooOOOO hOooOOO...

As someone living in Seattle I'm thrilled about the Sonics coming back.  I miss going to games.... especially the annual Celtics game. 

I think Key Arena is a fine temporary venue.  It's small, but I think the main issue was the lease.  They'll probably work up a temporary one.  Probably will not sell out many games anyways. 

There's still no chance that the Kings/Sonics trade us Cousins for our benchwarmers.  I keep saying we'd have to offer them Rondo for them even to talk to us... but that's not to say I actually think a Cousins for Rondo deal is at all likely.  It's not.

That said, I really can't see the Sonics NOT trading Cousins prior to next season.  I just can't see them avoiding it.  Most people out here are still on the fence about the NBA.. if they aren't still claiming they are going to outright boycott it.  Many of them are bitter and haven't watched a single game since the SOnics were stolen... and point to any little "issue" as being why they "don't miss the NBA".  The last thing that team needs is their best player to be a wildcard... temper tantrums and trade demands.  It could sink the whole marketing effort... because you KNOW that the first thing that Seattle group is going to have to do is repair the fan relationship with the league.  Cousins can't possibly fit into that.  I think Cousins has a great future ahead of him... a Rasheed/Zach Randolph type of headcase who eventually ends up the best player on a good team... but him playing in Seattle is way too risky for that ownership group. 

Still... my bet would be that he gets traded in the offseason... probably for a high lotto pick or something... not traded to the Celtics

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
Within 10 months, Seattle might have Russell Wilson, the Sonics and legalized marijuana. I'm putting my house on the market.

2013 will be a year to remember for Seattle. Congrats!

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Within 10 months, Seattle might have Russell Wilson, the Sonics and legalized marijuana. I'm putting my house on the market.

Forgot all about WA legalizing. That adds a completely new spin on things.

Will the new arena be dubbed "The Hotbox?"
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Forgot all about WA legalizing. That adds a completely new spin on things.

Will the new arena be dubbed "The Hotbox?"
Perfect... And then we can have gay marriages as halftime entertainment

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Kind of crossing my fingers the Kings have a fire sale now.

Bad quality but I had to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHs9Rf7L8_U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Bothers me to hear people just bury Sacramento so freely.   Feel really bad for a great but long suffering fan base.

Honestly I won't feel that bad for them if the team does move to Seattle.  The city of Sacramento probably isn't big enough or strong enough economically to really support a professional basketball team like the Kings.  In Seattle they can have a better arena and stronger support.  On top of that, Seattle is close enough to northern CA that Kings fans can still support the team even if it's gone to Seattle.

Seattle fans are just as deserving of a team.  Theirs was stolen from them even though they supported it for many many years.  It would be a rough transition, but I think it'd be a good thing if the old Supersonics fans the current Kings fans came together to support the new Seattle [insert name here]s.

I would love to see an NBA team back in Seattle. Would be very strange to see them leave Sacramento though. I hope if they do move back to Seattle they go back to the Supersonics. Would be a classic move.

Yes to the deal. I hate to think of life without Rondo, but that is a lot of talent coming back and an elite center [what Cousins should be] is more important than an elite pg. It really would change the face of this team, though...

But NO NO NO to them changing their name to the Sonics. Charlotte wants to do this with the Hornets and Cleveland already did this with the Browns. These franchises are not their predecessors and it really just muddies up the histories - Would Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Detlef Schrempf, etc be a part of what is now the Thunder or the former Kings? It just rubs me the wrong way!

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
If you're doing this deal for the future it has potential to be a good move, but for the present roster it would make this season a complete wash.

After what the Celtics have shown over the last three games I'm not sure I want to give that up just yet, and moving Rondo would be the end of our Championship hopes (however small) this year.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
But NO NO NO to them changing their name to the Sonics. Charlotte wants to do this with the Hornets and Cleveland already did this with the Browns. These franchises are not their predecessors and it really just muddies up the histories - Would Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Detlef Schrempf, etc be a part of what is now the Thunder or the former Kings? It just rubs me the wrong way!

The real question is, when are the former Kings finally gonna hang the 1951 Rochester Royals championship banner? 

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm with Larry on this one.  From the perspective of the new ownership of the Kings / Supersonics, it makes sense to hold onto DMC until around the time of the draft, and then try to trade him to a team with a top 2-3 pick. 

That gets you a new player with lots of "potential" to market as the fresh face of the franchise to a new, excited but understandably leery fanbase.

If you're a team like, say, the Cavs, wouldn't you trade a top 3 pick that would get you Nerlens Noel or Shabazz Mohammed for a more established talent like Demarcus Cousins?  That's exactly the sort of situation Demarcus needs -- a team where he can be one of the main guys, but not THE main guy.  The franchise is already committed to Irving and Byron Scott.  Demarcus would come in knowing he's important to the team, but he's not the most important guy on the roster, or the most talented.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'm with Larry on this one.  From the perspective of the new ownership of the Kings / Supersonics, it makes sense to hold onto DMC until around the time of the draft, and then try to trade him to a team with a top 2-3 pick. 

That gets you a new player with lots of "potential" to market as the fresh face of the franchise to a new, excited but understandably leery fanbase.

If you're a team like, say, the Cavs, wouldn't you trade a top 3 pick that would get you Nerlens Noel or Shabazz Mohammed for a more established talent like Demarcus Cousins?  That's exactly the sort of situation Demarcus needs -- a team where he can be one of the main guys, but not THE main guy.  The franchise is already committed to Irving and Byron Scott.  Demarcus would come in knowing he's important to the team, but he's not the most important guy on the roster, or the most talented.

Kyrie Irving Run DMC and Dion Waiters....... scary in 2-4 years

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'm a big fan of having character guys on team.  Young mr rondo is a leader, plays injured and doesn't complain , does whatever it takes to win and seems to do what is best for the team.
Does cousins fall into ANY of those categories?

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'm a big fan of having character guys on team.  Young mr rondo is a leader, plays injured and doesn't complain , does whatever it takes to win and seems to do what is best for the team.
Does cousins fall into ANY of those categories?

Are we talking about Rondo? The one that plays whenever he wants? The one that led a team meeting a couple years back that went pretty bad? The one that threw a water bottle during a film session and then stormed off? The one that has been suspended twice in the last 7 months for two different issues with the refs? Cousins has had his issues, but let's not confuse Rondo with CP3.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
No Deal - as much as I like Cousins and Evans, too.

We trade Rondo, we might as well go into Rebuild Mode.

That is too much of Major Moving Pieces for us to seriously contend, IMO.

I remember the shock and chemistry issues BOS had when we parted with Perk....I'd say make this trade in the event of an injury to KG or Pierce, God forbid.

But now?

I couldn't do it - especially after seeing BOS the last three games. There is life (and a Contender) in this team RIGHT NOW.

I just couldn't accept this trade and believe that we'd still contend. We'd make the playoffs, sure - but Tyreke and DeMarcus aren't playoff tested.

We need Rajon Rondo's leadership and ability on this team as we strive for Banner 18...we need his "Raise his game and play to the next level" ability in the post-season.

If SEA/SAC knocks with this offer, I'm not opening the door - especially with what I believe is at stake and what we'd be giving up.