Author Topic: Simple question, do we need to make a trade? Why? Why not?  (Read 14129 times)

Re: Simple question, do we need to make a trade? Why? Why not?
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
Get Shaq on a treadmill now!

His foots got to be better right?? Id be so happy of Doc Paul and KG could take out shaq and ask him to come back for playoffs to play 15-20mpg. I would freak out.

Going to go back to sleep now to keep dreaming.

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2013, 11:22:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Why I want a trade: We're 18-17, two of our top 3 players are likely gone next year, and we have redundancies at the 2 and 4, and big holes at the 1 and 5.

The trade I want is to turn some of those redundancies into strengths and turn our squad into a more balanced team, specifically by acquiring a competent veteran backup point and starting caliber 5.

Our guard rotation is perfect as is, don't touch it. Our "hole" at the one has been completely overstated, as has been the redundancy at the 2.

Now the 4 is another matter because Bass and Sully have shown that they can't play together, so if you can turn Bass into a big who can play with Sully, KG, and Wilcox, then the better.

It will just improves just about everyone in our big-men rotation.

But as for our guards, Lee plays well with Bradley, and plays well with Terry. When Bradley is off the floor, he picks up the defensive slack. There's really little redundancy there, all of them are more than capable ball-handlers, as it's been shown time and time again throughout the season. Then you have Barbosa eating the bench, who's also more than capable of delivering when needed as a PG.

So no, we don't need a back-up PG. Our guards are fine as is. The only combination I'm iffy about is Terry with Rondo, but it seems like they've been figuring it out a bit better as of late.

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2013, 11:29:27 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Man, how great would it be if Melo came up and filled our need. I know that there's no chance with how raw he is and Doc's ways with rookies, but his strengths are exactly what we need.

I mean Stiemsma played well and important minutes for us.

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2013, 11:33:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Why I want a trade: We're 18-17, two of our top 3 players are likely gone next year, and we have redundancies at the 2 and 4, and big holes at the 1 and 5.

The trade I want is to turn some of those redundancies into strengths and turn our squad into a more balanced team, specifically by acquiring a competent veteran backup point and starting caliber 5.

Our guard rotation is perfect as is, don't touch it. Our "hole" at the one has been completely overstated, as has been the redundancy at the 2.

Now the 4 is another matter because Bass and Sully have shown that they can't play together, so if you can turn Bass into a big who can play with Sully, KG, and Wilcox, then the better.

But as for our guards, Lee plays well with Bradley, and plays well with Terry. When Bradley is off the floor, he picks up the defensive slack. There's really little redundancy there, all of them are more than capable ball-handlers, as it's been shown time and time again throughout the season. Then you have Barbosa eating the bench, who's also more than capable of delivering when needed as a PG.

So no, we don't need a back-up PG. Our guards are fine as is. The only combination I'm iffy about is Terry with Rondo, but it seems like they've been figuring it out a bit better as of late.

I disagree, and so does Doc. We have 4 guys who merit 30 minutes a night for 96 minutes of play, and of the 4, Rondo is the only traditional pass-first capable player.

We're just getting by right now, I think we can do better.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2013, 11:35:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You're saying that KG and PP won't be on the team next year?

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2013, 11:39:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

For some reason the Sully/Bass combination seems to be working a little bit better lately. I'm not a fan of that lineup but one thing that's gone somewhat unnoticed during the recent good play is the team playing decent ball with KG on the bench.

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2013, 11:42:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I disagree, and so does Doc. We have 4 guys who merit 30 minutes a night for 96 minutes of play, and of the 4, Rondo is the only traditional pass-first capable player.

So what you're saying is that we have very good players, and good depth. Four players for 2 positions. Sounds about right, plus a fifth in Barbosa. "Pass-first" is overrated. Everyone on our team, but maybe Bass and Barbosa, are very willing passers. So no worries on that regard. Our team is littered with ball-handlers in multiple positions, we're fine.

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2013, 11:44:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

You're saying that KG and PP won't be on the team next year?

I think it's a high probability. If I had to put money on it, KG retires, Pierce has one more year.

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

For some reason the Sully/Bass combination seems to be working a little bit better lately. I'm not a fan of that lineup but one thing that's gone somewhat unnoticed during the recent good play is the team playing decent ball with KG on the bench.

It's been passable during some stretches. Against the Knicks, for example, they got a bit exposed when Chandler was on the floor.

Main problem for me is that Sully doesn't rotate as well as a 5 than a 4, and he over-helps, which often leaves him out of position, and doesn't recover as well as he does a PF.

But we'll see.

I'm not that concerned about a trade happening or not, I'm happy with our roster, and I'm actually very high on Wilcox despite not many being a fan of his around here, just can trust his health. I think he could be even more useful to us if we could give him some minutes at the 4 alongside KG. But roster needs demand he plays center.

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2013, 11:46:44 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
No NBA team is going to beat a healthy Heat team in 7 games playing small.

THANK YOU! my thoughts above were exactly the same.  :D

someone better tell doc as Im not sure he knows this

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2013, 11:54:15 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
maybe its me, but I feel like the Heat have regressed this year, at least defensively(part of that is they play small/ Miller, Ray are sieves)...the Knicks KILLED them the two times they played.

I really don't see any team as "unbeatable" in the East...but thats just me.

trust me. if we had wade, Lebron and bosh with Allen, Miller and Battier plenty here would think it would be a cakewalk for us.

My personal pet peeve. This current Celtics team, with HOME COURT, beats the living heck out of Mia because of "fair" refereeing. But we won't try hard enough to get hc. Ray is worse than last year by the way. Just watch him, its getting worse and wose

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2013, 11:55:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

So what you're saying is that we have very good players, and good depth. Four players for 2 positions. Sounds about right, plus a fifth in Barbosa. "Pass-first" is overrated. Everyone on our team, but maybe Bass and Barbosa, are very willing passers. So no worries on that regard. Our team is littered with ball-handlers in multiple positions, we're fine.

I'm saying we have 4 good players for two positions, Id rather have 3 and improve our frountcourt, and get a veteran backup 1 as a 9th or 10th man.

I want our roster to look like this:

Rondo/Terry/?
Bradley/Terry/Barbosa
Pierce/Green
Sullinger/KG/Wilcox
KG/Starting caliber 5/Wilcox

I think a trimmed down consistent rotation with the new big getting about 25 minutes a night makes us a better, more consistent team.

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2013, 12:06:58 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
No, we don't need a trade. An addition maybe a vet big is about it.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2013, 12:14:10 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I'm saying we have 4 good players for two positions, Id rather have 3 and improve our frountcourt, and get a veteran backup 1 as a 9th or 10th man.

I want our roster to look like this:

Rondo/Terry/?
Bradley/Terry/Barbosa
Pierce/Green
Sullinger/KG/Wilcox
KG/Starting caliber 5/Wilcox

I think a trimmed down consistent rotation with the new big getting about 25 minutes a night makes us a better, more consistent team.

I don't think that makes us any better, you're hurting our perimeter defense too much, all for a potential "PG". A PG who has to have size if you're going to keep Terry around, else, we're going to be destroyed. What happens if Bradley gets injured? Then you're double screwed. We really are about as good as we can get with our guard guys, touching it will be a mistake. But if you need to touch it, the odd man out has to be Terry or Barbosa. The balance Lee provides for our roster will be much harder to replace, plus he's good fit with just about any guard.

The only move to make, if any, is try to turn Bass for a center. But I really don't see how weakening our guard rotation just to get a big or some PG, because we "need" a PG is acceptable. If you're getting some sort of superstar or potential great player, then that's one thing, but trading Lee just for the sake of getting a big, it's just bad value for me. Doubly so for this supposed need of a PG.

Since the beginning of the year, I've said the main culprits for our poor defense was a perimeter problem. With Bradley back, and Lee pressuring the ball the way he is once Bradley goes to the bench, and seeing the results we're getting, I think the point has been more than proven.

Go find a big if needed, but not at the expense of our guard rotation, in particular, those that bring the defense like Bradley and Lee, else you're solving one problem, while potentially creating a bigger one. And to consider that we have this group for the next 3 years, a group that should give us more often than not a very good advantage over other teams, then I hesitate even more with breaking them up. And when you consider that Lee and Bradley are expending so much energy defensively, guarding players full court, then less minutes are they way to go anyways the way I see it.

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2013, 12:15:25 AM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
If we do make a trade, Melo has to stay. He screams DeAndre Jordan, Barbosa and Collins are salary throw ins, not Melo.