Author Topic: Simple question, do we need to make a trade? Why? Why not?  (Read 14131 times)

Simple question, do we need to make a trade? Why? Why not?
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:40:55 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
In one sentence tell me why or why not.

I say no because we do not need any additional pieces to beat our main competition. (Miami)
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Simple question, do we need to make a trade? Why? Why not?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Before Bradley returned, I'd have said yes.

Now? I'm not sure. Everyone goes back to their natural roles when Bradley's in the game. We could still use some additional help no doubt, but I'd like to continue with the current lineup for a little while longer. It seems like center is a big concern, although Garnett really fits that role well at this stage in his career. Maybe an upgrade over Bass -- like a Josh Smith or Al Jefferson -- may be a better fit although I'm sure we'd have to give up quite a bit to get them.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:46:44 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

I say no because we do not need any additional pieces to beat our main competition. (Miami)

If Miami lands Birdman, it's gonna be that much harder for us.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No, we don't. We get healthy, find two serviceable pick-ups and we're good to go.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 05:52:32 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I think we need to let the Bradley-era play out longer than 4 games to get a better feel for the impact.  Then it's either a big change (if C's revert to pre-Indiana game level of play) or a smaller change -- like trading for Okafur.

But either way I do think we need to make a trade if our goal is to contend for a championship this year.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 06:00:16 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
I think we need to let the Bradley-era play out longer than 4 games to get a better feel for the impact.  Then it's either a big change (if C's revert to pre-Indiana game level of play) or a smaller change -- like trading for Okafur.

But either way I do think we need to make a trade if our goal is to contend for a championship this year.

AGREED! some bum big is not going to cut it against the heat. we are not beating Miami with small ball. you have to counter that with BIG ball. we were only better than them at TWO positions in the playoffs. PG and C.

You have to use those advantages and pound them relentlessly. KG destroyed Anthony. Now if bosh wants to play KG down low we need another big who can destroy anthony when KG sits. wilcox is not the guy. sully is a PF. you have to keep the pounding down low going in perpetual motion. Keep miami on their heels all game. this way it is two fold. a big center always in to score and protect the paint/rim. We cannot count on AB to stop every dribble drive by wade or lebron or others on that team.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 06:01:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No NBA team is going to beat a healthy Heat team in 7 games playing small. 

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
No NBA team is going to beat a healthy Heat team in 7 games playing small.

THANK YOU! my thoughts above were exactly the same.  :D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 06:07:02 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

already going to be MUCH harder than last year.Miami is much better. They have two of the best in the game in wade and lebum. then when they dribble drive they can kick it out to battier, miller or traitor Allen who can destroy you from beyond the arc. If and that is a big IF we get a shot at them one more time in the playoffs we will need superior rim protection for 48 minutes a night and superior perimeter defense for 48 minutes a night.

and to get that we need another big who can block shots, rebound and score a tad bit also to expose the advantage we will have at the 5 over miami. sully will be fine at the 4 but wilcox or collins at the 5 backing up KG will not cut it against miami.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 06:10:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Even after the last few games, which admittedly I totally did not see coming, I still think this team is one significant piece in the front-court away from being a true contender for the title.

It's tough, though, because I think the Celtics are in a place where it doesn't make sense to trade their young assets unless it's for an All-Star caliber player, but it's difficult to come up with too many players of that quality who would be available for what the Celtics have to offer.

So that means the Celtics basically have to find a home-run blockbuster or convince some team with a significant big man asset (e.g. Gortat) to trade for a guy like Courtney Lee or Brandon Bass.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 06:17:57 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Yes, but I doubt there will be a trade available at the deadline that would give us what we need...a STAR to make it a "big three" again (Rondo, STAR, & Pierce/KG)...without striping the rest of the squad down to where it can't win it all.

Unless Danny gets a slam dunk of a deal we need to let Bradley and Sullinger continue to develop value and keep developing Melo. Down the road, when their values are high we can flip them for the stars we need, or discover they have become the stars we needed all along.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 06:27:55 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

already going to be MUCH harder than last year.Miami is much better. They have two of the best in the game in wade and lebum. then when they dribble drive they can kick it out to battier, miller or traitor Allen who can destroy you from beyond the arc. If and that is a big IF we get a shot at them one more time in the playoffs we will need superior rim protection for 48 minutes a night and superior perimeter defense for 48 minutes a night.

and to get that we need another big who can block shots, rebound and score a tad bit also to expose the advantage we will have at the 5 over miami. sully will be fine at the 4 but wilcox or collins at the 5 backing up KG will not cut it against miami.

Offensively Miami may be more dangerous, but i've kind of been of the impression that they have regressed defensively quite abit this year.

I'm just not sure a large trade is needed. we certainly need an upgrade for when KG sits...but does it need to be large(while giving up talent in other areas) or a vet-min signing....I feel like with a large trade you are creating holes elsewhere.

we just played and beat 3 teams with QUALITY centers in Chandler, Hortford, hibbert...

I think its clear about two things from last year to this year.

1. Kevin Garnett IS a center. he plays much better at that position.

2. Our excellent guard defense Can/does mask the big deficiencies because Bradley/Lee will not let their man penetrate

a signing like K-mart may just be what we need.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 06:34:03 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Short of getting Cousins in a steal of a trade for something like Sully and Green, I don't think we're going to be able to put together a team that is capable of beating the Heat this year without real injuries to the Miami boys. 

However, I like our 4 good starters a lot - Rondo, Pierce, KG & Bradley - and I think our bench is actually coming along nicely.

In order for us to compete, I think we need to:

1.) Keep those 4 on the team
2.) Try just hard enough to get into the playoffs
3.) Move KG to Center for the last few weeks of the season and the duration of the playoffs, but keep him at PF for now to save his knees
4.) Hope for a few injuries like Rose & Bosh

I honestly think the Celtics can match up with the Clippers, Knicks and Thunder in a playoff series if the Celtics are healthy. Otherwise, why blow up the team if we're not going to win anyways and it would mean giving up one or more of Rondo/Bradley/Sully when those three should be affordable, legit starters for years to come?  I know you should always try to go for the championship if you can make it, but at the same time, let's not give away great pieces out of panic.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 06:36:56 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd say no - at least right now.

Let's ride this momentum up to the Feb trade deadline, then go from there.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 06:41:01 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
maybe its me, but I feel like the Heat have regressed this year, at least defensively(part of that is they play small/ Miller, Ray are sieves)...the Knicks KILLED them the two times they played.

I really don't see any team as "unbeatable" in the East...but thats just me.