Author Topic: Suns taking offers for Gortat, Dudley , Beasley ?  (Read 8335 times)

Re: Suns taking offers Gortat,Dudley , Beasley ?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 10:46:44 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
it would be nice if we could somehow get him without trading either bradley or sully. maybe a package of bass and some first round picks or something.
The Suns are looking to dump Gortat's contract. Bass comes with a longer obligation and more money overall on his deal.

The Suns are not looking to dump Gortat's contract -- his deal is one of the most reasonable in the league.

They're looking to trade a good player on a good contract who hates playing there.

----------------------------------------------

With the reports about PHX interest in Gay, the following continues to make sense for each team:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aaf8xkk

We need Terry's shooting to much. Other than PP, he is our only other consistent 3 point and clutch shooter.

Don't agree. He's expendable for a starting NBA 5, especially when it means we can move KG back to the 4 for significant stretches.

I disagree with you disagreeing. In order for a starting NBA 5 to be most effective, you need to space the floor for him with outside shooters.

Furthermore KG at the 4 doesn't work as a 1 on 1 defender. Too slow for stretch 4s. Let's face it, the whole league is playing stretch 4s these days.

Won't comment on the above. My point remains correct: Gortat would be considerably more valuable to the Cs than Terry is.

If Phoenix called up today and offered a straight up Gortat for Terry swap, Ainge would take it 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Phoenix won't do that though. You'll have to offer them a young player or a pick aswell.

There are rondo for Gortat + pieces ideas on here. The amount that people overrate centers on this board is absurd.

Miami didn't have a single center worth anything on the roster and they crapped all over the thunder with Perkins and ibaka starting in the finals.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 11:27:16 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
it would be nice if we could somehow get him without trading either bradley or sully. maybe a package of bass and some first round picks or something.
The Suns are looking to dump Gortat's contract. Bass comes with a longer obligation and more money overall on his deal.

The Suns are not looking to dump Gortat's contract -- his deal is one of the most reasonable in the league.

They're looking to trade a good player on a good contract who hates playing there.

With the reports about PHX interest in Gay, the following continues to make sense for each team:

We need Terry's shooting to much. Other than PP, he is our only other consistent 3 point and clutch shooter.

Don't agree. He's expendable for a starting NBA 5, especially when it means we can move KG back to the 4 for significant stretches.

I disagree with you disagreeing. In order for a starting NBA 5 to be most effective, you need to space the floor for him with outside shooters.

Furthermore KG at the 4 doesn't work as a 1 on 1 defender. Too slow for stretch 4s. Let's face it, the whole league is playing stretch 4s these days.

Won't comment on the above. My point remains correct: Gortat would be considerably more valuable to the Cs than Terry is.

If Phoenix called up today and offered a straight up Gortat for Terry swap, Ainge would take it 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Phoenix won't do that though. You'll have to offer them a young player or a pick aswell.

There are rondo for Gortat + pieces ideas on here. The amount that people overrate centers on this board is absurd.

Miami didn't have a single center worth anything on the roster and they crapped all over the thunder with Perkins and ibaka starting in the finals.

agree as much i would love to see the prime days of bigs being bigs and standing near the rim crashing boards and doing post moves the NBA just isnt that anymore

Its become a guard orientated league that relies on penetration and kick out style players Hence why Miller splashed OKC last year.

In all honesty i could see Gortat coming here and then a month later people would consider it as worse as the jeff green trade (we came out in front with that trade i still believe)

Re: Suns taking offers for Gortat, Dudley , Beasley ?
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 11:51:01 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Of the deals in this thread so far, the threeway deal with Memphis where the Cs get Gortat, the Suns Gay and Melo, and the Griz Terry, Dudley and Collins makes the most sense.

Dudley is cost controlled the next three season at around $4m per.  Terry is relatively affordable the next two years at $5m per, and would be tradeable in the offseason if needed.  I would think that Memphis would want a pick, but making this move saves them millions of dollars in luxtax, and actually gives them more perimeter punch, which they need.

The Suns the their man in Gay, and get a promising young true center in Melo.  Boston gives up some perimeter punch in Terry, but they can play Lee and AB more minutes and give the scraps to Barboza.  You've got to give something to get something, and there's a more glaring need at the pivot. 

The other thing the Cs could do to entice the Suns is to take on Beasley, who has 2 years at $6m after this one. Green and one of Lee/Terry/Bass should get it done.     

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 12:04:40 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Id be willing to take on Beasley's contract for Jeff Greeb if it means landing Gortat.

As bad as he is, he is still a scoring threat off the bench. And Gortat will help our defense dramatically, it's a risk I'll be willing to take.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 12:53:52 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri4T-DdJJlE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIq6QaGs1as

We lost a huge clutch shot maker in the offseason. One of the best ever. Terry is a heck of a replacement though.

Clutch shotmakers like Ray and Jet dont grow on trees. And Jet definitely should not be considered trade bait for an unproven euro center who hasn't even been near deep playoff pressure.

Dont get caught up in 4 or 5 poor shooting nights from terry and immediately chuck him into trade scenarios. People on here are far too short sighted when players are in a form slump.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 12:54:04 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

agree as much i would love to see the prime days of bigs being bigs and standing near the rim crashing boards and doing post moves the NBA just isnt that anymore

Its become a guard orientated league that relies on penetration and kick out style players Hence why Miller splashed OKC last year.

In all honesty i could see Gortat coming here and then a month later people would consider it as worse as the jeff green trade (we came out in front with that trade i still believe)

Thread has reached nadir. Time to move on. Peace.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Since we've been playing the best ball of the season the past three games, Ainge should be very careful with any deal he makes. With that said, I'd still love to have Gortat on the team but that means KG moves back to PF. Based on what we've seen last season and now, Garnett really excels at the center position at this point in his career.

not really. only if we wanted to go big. keep them both at the 5 and play each 24 minutes. how about that for keeping both fresh? or play whomever is hot longer. we would then have to decide on either, sully or bass along with wilcox at the 4. whomever is not traded.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 09:04:39 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I may be wrong but I don't think the Suns are simply looking to dump gortat's contract. It seems to me since they are going after Gay that they want to have a "sexier lineup" meaning some name recognition to draw in fans.

I could see the Suns doing the following

Dudly, W Johnson, Telfair and a 1st

for

Gay

then they could move Scola (who is 32) to a contender for a starting caliber SG.

maybe a trade with denver for wilson chandler when he returns?

That would give the suns a big team with a core of Gay (26), Gragic(26), Gortat (28) and Chandler (25)
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 09:12:28 AM »

• Dennis Johnson

ahh yes starting is the key word. Ibaka is not a center anyways. who was in there when perk was out? Just because they could not get it done does not mean we can't with two good centers, one in at all times along with Ab on the perimeter. WHo was OKC's AB on the perimeter? exactly.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 09:14:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
WHo was OKC's AB on the perimeter? exactly.

Thabo Sefolosha, who is a top-5 perimeter defender and who has more length than Bradley.

I agree with your greater point that just because OKC couldn't get it done last year doesn't mean the Heat are invulnerable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 09:15:38 AM »

• Dennis Johnson

for every pro there is a con and a way to defeat something. If you have bigs who can play the 5 and block shots of dribble drivers and perimeter D which can slow down the kick out jumpers well then there you go. There is always a way. Not to mention bigs who can destroy the smaller guys in the post down low on the offensive end.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 09:24:44 AM »

• Dennis Johnson

Thabo Sefolosha, who is a top-5 perimeter defender and who has more length than Bradley.

I agree with your greater point that just because OKC couldn't get it done last year doesn't mean the Heat are invulnerable.
Thanks, i forgot he was a perimeter guy. agreed and like I said, Ibaka is not a 5 and maybe perk just sucked that series? they had no good presence at the 5 after perk from the bench to defend maybe? or maybe the heat just took it to them? maybe both? BIG ball can beat the heat you just have to have the guys to get it done. not scrubs. nobody is beating the heat at small ball. that is their game. too many mismatches. too much talent.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 09:35:01 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97

Disagreed.

This whole "small ball" meme really irritates me. There is no secret to winning in the NBA besides having good basketball players. All the stuff the media goes on about with "small ball" and there no longer being post men are non sequitirs.

There is nothing about the way the game is played now that makes having a good big man irrelevant, and there is nothing about the way the game is played that overrates having a big man. If a player is good, regardless of position or style of play, he will help the team. It is about finding good players to play together and finding a system that works for that group of players.

Saying that the league is headed in a certain direction is usually something the media makes up because they have nothing better to talk about. Yes, most of the super-stars in the league at the moment are wing players. But that doesn't mean the game is any different, it just means the balance of stars is off at the moment, and when the next crop of stars comes along it will be different again.

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 09:36:39 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

They were over relying on that sole wing defender. He also played only 9 minutes in the last game.

Behind him they had Harden, who's not a good defender, and considering Miami's two-headed monster at the wings, one good defender is not good enough. Particularly when your other guard getting minutes is Derek Fisher.

This is the importance of keeping someone like Lee, he's key to our roster, even with Bradley around. They'll at least insure that Wade at the very least has a very good defender on him at all times.

Not to take anything away from Thabo, but the difference between Bradley and all other great defenders, is that Bradley is also a complete pest. His defense is aggressive, while most other good defenders are simply good contesters. And that's a bit different.

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 09:37:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

What Thabo hasn't been able to do for the OKC is be that stopper and not compromise their otherwise stellar offense.

Though that's probably due to Thabo + Perkins in combination.