Author Topic: Woj: Suns in talks to acquire Rudy Gay (Update: C's have called about Gay)  (Read 19314 times)

Re: Adrian Wojnarowski: Suns in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Alex Kennedy saying the Cs have talked to Memphis about Gay.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-iman-shumpert-nearing-return/

I'm pretty sure Danny's kicked the tires on every player of significance out there.  Gay makes no sense for us for a lot of reasons, though.

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 05:53:03 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I'm pretty sure Danny's kicked the tires on every player of significance out there.  Gay makes no sense for us for a lot of reasons, though.

If it's Gay, Green is probably involved.

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

If it's Gay, Green is probably involved.
I would do it in a heartbeat for Green
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Woj: Suns in talks to acquire Rudy Gay (Update: C's have called about Gay)
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm sure we've called. I'd be shocked if we had anything Memphis would be interested in.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

He's calling to get involved in a Gay trade, not to trade for Gay.

It's tough making trades in the league -- often easier to get in on one than to talk a team into a 1-on-1 move.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
FWIW, Fab Melo and the expiring contracts of Barbosa, Wilcox, and Collins represents about $3.8 million.

Celts are right up against the threshold, so they won't be able to take back much more than they send out. A little cushion, not much.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 06:14:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think people are forgetting that part of what the Grizzlies are trying to accomplish is to reduce payroll. The Grizzlies are $4.6 million over the tax limit and Gay makes $16.4 million this year.

Phoenix is not over the cap so they have some wiggle room in what they can take on in salary. So basically a trade of Dudley and Beasley for Gay works and it saves the grizzlies over $5 million in salary and gets them out from under a tax payment.

I really think that is a huge, major motivation in dealing ONLY with Phoenix and would preclude Boston from get involved, simply put, the $5 million in saved tax payment is a motivating factor that must be maintained in this deal.

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
I'd be extremely surprised if Sarver gets on the hook for Gay's contract. Shocked, actually. No way do I see the Suns doing this, unless they are flipping him or a third team is involved.

Sarver likes youngs (small contracts), expirings and draft picks.

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 06:19:07 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
In addition to conversations with Phoenix, Memphis has tried to engage Golden State in trade talks for Rudy Gay, league sources say.

The Grizzlies-Warriors talks stalled with Golden State's desire to include Richard Jefferson ($21m left over two years) in the deal.

@KBergCBS

Can't see why the Warriors should be after Gay. Klay Thompson's a fine young player who offers a lot of what Gay can at a fraction of the price.

Curry, Klay, Rudy, Lee and Ezeli. That would be strong lineup. Fun to think about.

Barnes, Ezeli and Jefferson for Gay works.

I reckon GSW does nothinge they are balling this year. and in all honesty i think Barnes has the potential to be another rudy gay if not better. The kid just doesnt play like a rookie, can say that alot about this draft class i feel :S

How about Bogut for Green and Lee?

That can only help them right?

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I think people are forgetting that part of what the Grizzlies are trying to accomplish is to reduce payroll. The Grizzlies are $4.6 million over the tax limit and Gay makes $16.4 million this year.

Phoenix is not over the cap so they have some wiggle room in what they can take on in salary. So basically a trade of Dudley and Beasley for Gay works and it saves the grizzlies over $5 million in salary and gets them out from under a tax payment.

I really think that is a huge, major motivation in dealing ONLY with Phoenix and would preclude Boston from get involved, simply put, the $5 million in saved tax payment is a motivating factor that must be maintained in this deal.

Not forgetting -- the trade I proposed accomplishes precisely that. Meanwhile, I think it actually helps the Cs get involved considering:

1) The Cs have ~5mil parts that are more compelling than PHXs beyond Dudley;

2) The Cs are a better fit for Gortat -- a guy PHX is looking to move on from -- than MEM is;

3) The Cs have a better prospect to throw PHXs way than MEM does for giving up Gortat;

4) There is no chance Hollinger is trading for Beasley.

Here it is again:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aaf8xkk
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah the only way Boston were to get involved is if they're giving up prospects or picks to entice Memphis to make the deal. They wouldn't bring any salary wiggle to the table.

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2013, 06:39:36 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
FWIW, Fab Melo and the expiring contracts of Barbosa, Wilcox, and Collins represents about $3.8 million.

Celts are right up against the threshold, so they won't be able to take back much more than they send out. A little cushion, not much.

Is Wilcox tradeable since he resigned on a one year deal?  I think he isn't
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

For the old cba he'd have had veto rights to it, not sure if he still does.

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2013, 06:42:16 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

For the old cba he'd have had veto rights to it, not sure if he still does.

Sham Sports says he does have veto rights. Otherwise, he is tradeable.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2013, 10:47:21 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
How about Bogut for Green and Lee?

That can only help them right?

Hmm...Give up our only backup SF and our only other player who (at a squeeze) can play SF in return for a big who has played a total of 16 games in the last two seasons?