Author Topic: Is Celtics D better without Rondo?  (Read 2333 times)

Is Celtics D better without Rondo?
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Have often felt that Rondo's D is over rated and has gotten worse this year as the team depends more on his offense. Last night showed what this team could be with Bradley, Lee and Green all playing good D. When Wilcox comes back they will be ready for a run.

Re: Is Celtics D better without Rondo?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:39:40 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
No its not.
Because our guard rotation D is beter with rondo than with Terry
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:42:22 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No. Stop.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:45:07 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think with Bradley in there, it makes Rondo a MUCH better defensive player, and as they settle in, it will be really good for the team.

Rondo is at his best when he can just be a team defender.  He isn't a great one on one guy.  Just doesn't fight through picks, or stay in front of his man well enough.  But, get him in the team defense, where he can read the play, use his BBIQ and quickness to get in passing lanes, cause havoc with his hands, and hit the glass, and suddenly he is a monster.

With Bradley covering the other teams ball handler, it frees up Rondo to do that, and it makes everyone better, because the other team never knows when Rondo is sneaking up on them to trap them or steal the ball. 

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:47:21 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
There's some truth to it.

He and Bradley together are special though, but if Rondo plays like the first half of that Atlanta game, then you get in trouble, but if he can constantly give you what he showed in the second half, then you've got some spectacular defense.

Terry and Rondo together is not good.

Lee with Terry are good. Lee and Bradley by what I saw yesterday was completely awesome.

Rondo and Lee has been a bit hit or miss, but they've had some strong performances defensively together.

You never know what Rondo is going to show up game to game, and that's always a concern in my opinion.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
I think with Bradley in there, it makes Rondo a MUCH better defensive player, and as they settle in, it will be really good for the team.

Rondo is at his best when he can just be a team defender.  He isn't a great one on one guy.  Just doesn't fight through picks, or stay in front of his man well enough.  But, get him in the team defense, where he can read the play, use his BBIQ and quickness to get in passing lanes, cause havoc with his hands, and hit the glass, and suddenly he is a monster.

With Bradley covering the other teams ball handler, it frees up Rondo to do that, and it makes everyone better, because the other team never knows when Rondo is sneaking up on them to trap them or steal the ball.

So much this. Tp.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Cs playing better without Rondo? This is my impression after last game yesterday in MSG Vs NYK. I saw Cs playing much faster, maximum determination, better sharing ball, less turnovers, and more teamwork job done. Mostly of the time Rondo slows down the offensive actions. Cs team plays faster without Rondo, and AB and Sullinger are more aggressive without Rondo on the floor.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 11:19:27 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
If it's not better without Rondo, it's certainly no worse.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:24:02 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
its not that they are better WITHOUT rondo...they are just better WITH bradley.  his hustle and heart is infectious.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 11:24:47 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Rondo is one of the most frustating Celtics ever. When he runs, the team moves great, when he walks the ball up court , I want him out of the game. He is a brickster and shouldn't be in the game the last 2 minutes.

His inabilitiy to be consistant from game to game , or even during a game is perplexing.

One moment he is a hero and next drags down court, allowing the defense to set up. This an advantage to the defense. Tommy H. alluded to this several time, by saying he likes the way AB get s the ball down court and starts the offense running pronto. 

Rondo makes one highlight reel play , then doesn't focus and tosses the ball away for several stupid turnovers.

This would drive me nuts as a coach and GM. This consistancy is why CP3 the superior product.

If I could get Cousins for Rondo , I trade him in a sec. Up grade for Star Center would outweight the downgrade at guard , till a new PG could be found.

Rondo makes the team better when he is not lazy , focused and keeping his cool .

Sometimess I wonder If Rondo respects Doc and listens to what he says... ::)

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
he saves his energy for the playoffs. he does a lot more than cp3 anyways. cp3 wishes he could rebound like rondo.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
he saves his energy for the playoffs. he does a lot more than cp3 anyways. cp3 wishes he could rebound like rondo.

lol........a PG should not have to rebound anyway like rondo does.

saving your energy is useless if you do not make the playoffs
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

lol........a PG should not have to rebound anyway like rondo does.

saving your energy is useless if you do not make the playoffs

I'm guessing we'll make the playoffs.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 12:03:40 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Uh no? But it's undeniable were better defensively with Bradley

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within

Great point. Without Bradley and without people behind him to cover when he gambles (and I still think he gambles too much) his defense made our defense look bad. With Bradley and with bigs that have the rotations down should see things start to click. Even Collins is starting to get it, but he is very uncomfortable away from the basket.