Author Topic: The truth is... we don't need Rondo  (Read 19391 times)

Re: The truth is... we don't need Rondo
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2013, 12:22:13 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I'd say, "we don't need Rondo....for regular season wins."

« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
we dont need rondo to pund the ball for 20 seonds and slow the offense.  We nneed rondo to run with the team and pass the ball around.  If either Rondo provides us as upgrade via trade, then do it.  Imo its been proven he's not as valuable as some people think.

« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2013, 12:38:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
we dont need rondo to pund the ball for 20 seonds and slow the offense.  We nneed rondo to run with the team and pass the ball around.  If either Rondo provides us as upgrade via trade, then do it.  Imo its been proven he's not as valuable as some people think.

I've seen a fair amount of the halfcourt offense without Rondo. It's exciting that the ball swings around more but we're generally getting the same shots at the same point in the shot clock.

« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
I say we don't need Rondo to beat Miami. No difference with him or without him. We lose. If we get a higher seed we may pull out a round, no doubt in my mind we will be playing golf early in the playoffs.

Bradley has done the unthinkable again however, made us respectable...........again. I love it! Of course it's not pure talent but a magical team harmony.

« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2013, 01:06:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
maybe Allen was right. ....Rondo and his drag rear end.   "stall-ball".  dribble the game away, put the fans and the Celtics to sleep...not to mention Tommy .

trade him for Horford,........ then Atlanta can get Howard.......and have Rondo

« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2013, 01:09:58 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Truth is we're going to need Rondo

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2013, 01:26:19 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I've seen a fair amount of the halfcourt offense without Rondo. It's exciting that the ball swings around more but we're generally getting the same shots at the same point in the shot clock.

I think we are getting better quality shots. We are undoubtedly more unpredictable when we usually have 4-5 guys who can knock down shots. These guys are willing passers but also aren't gunshy. Rondo was not willing to make the initial pass that leads to the correct extra pass, and was also a very confusing jumpshooter (wouldn't shoot when he should, shot when he shouldn't).

It's pretty simple. Even if you believe our offense is worse (debatable to me), it can't get much worse than what we put forth with Rondo. Our defense is without question significantly better with Bradley and Lee together.

Maybe we can turn into the mid-00's Pistons. Great defense with competent offensive players capable of making clutch shots and a deep bench.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Truth is we're going to need Rondo

yup.......hoping we can get a nice big for him

« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I think we are getting better quality shots. We are undoubtedly more unpredictable when we usually have 4-5 guys who can knock down shots. These guys are willing passers but also aren't gunshy. Rondo was not willing to make the initial pass that leads to the correct extra pass, and was also a very confusing jumpshooter (wouldn't shoot when he should, shot when he shouldn't).

That's pretty wishful thinking on your part. The Celts aren't running some shocking new offense, they look pretty much like half the teams we face, and we generally aren't flustered by their "unpredictability". Teams don't always know who's going to shoot when Rondo has the ball either.

« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2013, 01:50:11 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Someone asked about our record w/o Rondo.  We were 8-5 last year without him and I believe we are now 7-3 without him this year.  That is 15-8, 0.652 over 2 seasons which is 53 win pace.  23 games is 28% of a season which is starting to be a pretty good sample size.

If you also look at the stats for team assists, we average about the same number of assists for the team even though we are essentially playing without a pure PG.

I am not trying to beat up on Rondo.  He is a good player but opposing teams don't respect his shot and that causes other problems.  He can't change the way he plays until he forces the other team to cover him (by making more shots).  His shot is improving but his release is still slow and he shoots from his shoulder, a very easy shot to bother, even for a defender not really covering him.

You can learn to shoot but many skills Rondo has can't be taught, like court awareness.  I doubt there are any coaches or players that don't want Rondo back, warts and all.

« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2013, 02:08:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Someone asked about our record w/o Rondo.  We were 8-5 last year without him and I believe we are now 7-3 without him this year.  That is 15-8, 0.652 over 2 seasons which is 53 win pace.  23 games is 28% of a season which is starting to be a pretty good sample size.

If you also look at the stats for team assists, we average about the same number of assists for the team even though we are essentially playing without a pure PG.

I am not trying to beat up on Rondo.  He is a good player but opposing teams don't respect his shot and that causes other problems.  He can't change the way he plays until he forces the other team to cover him (by making more shots).  His shot is improving but his release is still slow and he shoots from his shoulder, a very easy shot to bother, even for a defender not really covering him.

Every time Rondo has the ball he can either pass or shoot or drive. If people get up close to him on the jumper it makes it easier for Rondo to drive and/or pass. People used to say that Rondo needed to take more shots to get defenses to respect his jumper. He's been taking more shots for a while, no change. People said he needed to shoot better so defenses would cover him closely, but that didn't do it either.

It's true that defenders give Rondo space, it's not true that giving him that space is enough to keep him from getting assists or getting to the rim or the team shooting well. So it's true that teams give Rondo space on jumpers, it's true that that in a vacuum hurts the team, but it's not true that it stops Rondo from being an effective player.

« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2013, 06:50:28 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84

I am not trying to beat up on Rondo.  He is a good player but opposing teams don't respect his shot and that causes other problems.
  He can't change the way he plays until he forces the other team to cover him (by making more shots).  His shot is improving but his release is still slow and he shoots from his shoulder, a very easy shot to bother, even for a defender not really covering him.

You can learn to shoot but many skills Rondo has can't be taught, like court awareness.  I doubt there are any coaches or players that don't want Rondo back, warts and all.

Thank you. We DON'T need Rondo.