Author Topic: How awesome was Jeff Green  (Read 10498 times)

Re: How awesome was Jeff Green
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He does seem to have success guarding players like 'Melo and KD (and as a Thunder alum, this makes a fair amount of sense), and he certainly took it to Novak last night.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:24:20 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Not awesome enough to find a trade.

I've seen this Jeff Green before.

I want to see what happens in the next 3-4 games.

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
... One thing I noticed is that Green takes off far too far from the rim.  He's been doing that most of the season but I thought it was because defenders were able to stay chest to chest with him on his drives and angle him away from the rim.  Since he still did with Novak guarding him, I think it's just a bad habit. ...

Maybe he is still afraik of full contact. Wouldn't suprise me. Going full speed with the upper body against defenders after a heart surgery, isn't easy mentally i guess.

I'm not so sure that this is a flaw as much as a style.  I've really just seen him doing this year but it's very reminiscent of Worthy.  His length is a big asset and this is using it.

There are times where he does take off too early but overall I think it's pretty effective.

It's led to some of the spectacular dunks he's had this year.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 09:33:13 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Not awesome enough to find a trade.

I've seen this Jeff Green before.

I want to see what happens in the next 3-4 games.
And as Tommy said "I could score on Novak."

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
... One thing I noticed is that Green takes off far too far from the rim.  He's been doing that most of the season but I thought it was because defenders were able to stay chest to chest with him on his drives and angle him away from the rim.  Since he still did with Novak guarding him, I think it's just a bad habit. ...

Maybe he is still afraik of full contact. Wouldn't suprise me. Going full speed with the upper body against defenders after a heart surgery, isn't easy mentally i guess.

In my estimation, its just poor footwork. He doesn't seem to have the ability to have "choppy feet", he has slow feet, that's his problem with quick offensive players, but with guys like Melo and Bron with similar size as him, he can body-up and make up for his lack of lateral foot quickness

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I definitely think this has something to do with. The play he fell hard he was very cautious to get back up. I think by playing more aggressive like he did last night will break that mentality.

Great aggressive game on both ends of the floor for him last night.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:25 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
The problem with Jeff Green isn't his abilities, it's his consistency that people question. With Jeff's ability there's no reason he can't average 15/5 with this team
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think it's a minutes thing completely.

He's not a scoring spark the just scores in bunches quickly.

He played 25 min tonight, a lot for him and he produced.

I don't have numbers in front of me but it seems more often than not when he gets decent minutes he produces.

Def moreso than Terry or Bass it seems like

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 10:30:19 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

I definitely think this has something to do with. The play he fell hard he was very cautious to get back up. I think by playing more aggressive like he did last night will break that mentality.

Great aggressive game on both ends of the floor for him last night.

he can use a little

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 10:39:46 AM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
Wins
11, 6, 12, 7, 16, 9, 17, 1, 19, 16, 15, 3, 15, 2, 3, 16, 8 = 184 = 10.82 pts/gm
( 5 games with 6 pts or less )

Losses
11, 3, 4, 5, 6, 5, 2, 18, 19, 9, 10, 3, 14, 8, 6, 16, 10 = 149 = 8.76pts/gm
( 8 games with 6 pts or less )

Double Figures = 16 games out of 34 games( Celtics Record = 9/7 )

Games with 12 pts or more ( Celtics Record = 8/4 )

Median is approx 9

i guess no real surprise...he is consistently inconsistent...if he could be more consistent...that would be huge...i don't think he needs much of a bump...12 pts per game seemed as good of a cut-off as any...our record jumps to 8/4 at that point...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:45:03 AM by rutzan »

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 10:53:26 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The problem with Jeff Green isn't his abilities, it's his consistency that people question. With Jeff's ability there's no reason he can't average 15/5 with this team

Yeah, there are reasons for this.  The first being that he is buried on the bench behind Pierce and averaging only 23 minutes a game, the lowest total of his career.

The second being that, given the match-up, he might play more PF in one game versus another.  His scoring production is probably best when he is playing SF.

The third is:  we don't need 15/5 from him every night.  What we need from him is exactly what he brought on the defensive end last night, and the points are gravy.  Sure we need him to score, but there are PLENTY of guys on our roster who can score.

There is only one who can defend Melo and Lebron at an elite level.  Green.

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
the one thing i am concerned about is that he scored 6 pts or less in 13 games...that is 38% of the time...almost 4 out of every 10 games...that is 1.5 games to 2.7 games in a 4 - 7 game playoff series...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:18:04 PM by rutzan »

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
23mpg in 34 games
24mpg in 17 losses
22mpg in 17 wins
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:12:40 PM by rutzan »

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 12:20:38 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Not awesome enough. He still looked hesitant even when one on one with Novak. He needs to be more aggressive on offense.

On defense he is often the first guy back and has played Durant, Lebron and Melo well. So he is a definite asset; but he has to be more consistent and more agressive against lesser opponents to exploit the opportunities and the advantages he does have over other players given the match up problems he can create at both SF and PF.

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 05:36:01 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I know we all get on him for his bad games so how about showing some love for how he did tonight. Seriously though his spark on offense being aggressive and his defense on Carmelo if he can give us that in the playoffs that is all we need. I see a lot of trade scenarios where people want to ship him and bring back a guy like Francisco Garcia well Melo would have eaten him alive. I'm glad we have a guy like Green who will not get totally abused up against Melo or even LeBron, plus I think Jeff will get better as the year goes on having had heart surgery not even a year ago.
He is, however, the only guy on our roster who can defend Melo and Lebron over a 48 minute game.  Pierce can try, but we need to save his legs for our offense.  There was a reason Pierce was so fresh late in the game; Green did a lot of the dirty work on Melo early on.
Agreed
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk