Author Topic: Piers Morgan invites Alex Jones to discuss 2nd Amendment, Fireworks ensues....  (Read 5462 times)

Offline JSD

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 372
  • Just So Dedicated
Alex Jones, I would think, even embarrassed his supporters with this interview. Jones is highly intelligent. If he stayed on topic and calm he could have presented a really good case for folks who are strong supporters of the 2nd amendment. It's a shame, really.

Given the anger, the incoherence, his hyperbolic conclusions, the childish provocations, and the unwillingness to listen to another person's point of view in this "interview", would you ever listen to this guy again? If so, why?

I would absolutely listen to his show again. Why limit yourself in terms of hearing different perspectives? I think alternative media is very important. I listen to everything I can and try to form my own conclusions. Do I subscribe to even 25% of what Jones has to say? Probably not. But he does his research and can present a good case on subjects when he’s not hollering and yelling like an idiot.

Offline JSD

• Tiny Archibald
  • Just So Dedicated

By choosing to go on Jones' show, Paul is agreeing to continue the link.

Serious politicians shouldn't associate with kooks and conspiracy theorists.

Jones talks about the government being involved whereas many of us just believe the government is incompetent. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Paul has never backed down from an opportunity to express his views to an audience. Fox calls, CNN calls, Jones calls, Robert Downey Jr. calls, whoever calls; he is ready to talk about his ideas. And I would actually argue the opposite of what you’re suggesting. Paul has become wildly successful from this approach from many different angles including in politics. But most importantly, he has changed the hearts and minds and cured the apathy of millions of Americans. He has changed the conversation.

It should be mentioned that current Senators and other Congressman have also appeared with Jones. So respectfully, I think it's fair to say that what you are saying is false.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: -29317
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

By choosing to go on Jones' show, Paul is agreeing to continue the link.

Serious politicians shouldn't associate with kooks and conspiracy theorists.

Jones talks about the government being involved whereas many of us just believe the government is incompetent. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Paul has never backed down from an opportunity to express his views to an audience. Fox calls, CNN calls, Jones calls, Robert Downey Jr. calls, whoever calls; he is ready to talk about his ideas. And I would actually argue the opposite of what you’re suggesting. Paul has become wildly successful from this approach from many different angles including in politics. But most importantly, he has changed the hearts and minds and cured the apathy of millions of Americans. He has changed the conversation.

It should be mentioned that current Senators and other Congressman have also appeared with Jones. So respectfully, I think it's fair to say that what you are saying is false.

What members of Congress have appeared on his show?  I'll make sure I never support them.  Discerning politicians need to draw the line somewhere.  Broadening one's base is one thing, associating with crazy people is another.

D. Cousins / I. Mahinmi / P. Antic
D. West / R. Anderson / C. Copeland
L. Deng / K. Singler / D. Rudez
A. Iguodala / V. Carter / B. Gordon / C.J. Wilcox
K. Irving / S. Livingston / S. Blake

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012

Online D.o.s.

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 630
Alex Jones is a lunatic moonbat.  I wish Ron Paul would cut ties with him.

Peas in a pod, to my eyes.

I see Paul as outside the mainstream, but mostly principled.  I see Jones as crazy and exploitative.
Being "outside the mainstream" doesn't mean you're not crazy. Which Ron Paul certainly is :)

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/12/ron_paul_is_crazy_admit_it.php

I would very much argue he is not.
You could, it's your constitutional right. Unfortunately, all the insane stuff he's said is a matter of public record, so I doubt you'll have much success in this endeavor.

Ron Paul is honest. He speaks to people as if they are intelligent, and able to understand complex ideas. Not every intelligent person agrees with those ideas, and that's fair. To call him crazy is doing a great dis justice to a man who, when it comes to protecting personal liberty and rejecting the progressive/neo-con agenda that is pervasive in our federal government, he has stood alone many times.

Regardless of how you feel about him, he energized many from my generation and really helped lay down a great political foundation to stand on. Because of Ron Paul many young people such as myself have become very interested in getting involved in politics, and fighting for the cause of liberty.

You seem like the type of guy who knows too much to change his mind, so I will be done here.

I do hope you're being rhetorical when you say that Ron Paul laid down a great political foundation.

That's not to say I disagree with him on every issue--I don't. But his solutions always come across as absurdly reductionist to me, and that lack of nuance would buoy a similarly "across the board" perspective that is (IMO, YMMV, ETC.) a disservice to the opportunity for open-minded thought that most voters should bind themselves to.
And when I'm rich and meet Bob Hope
We'll shoot some golf and shoot some dope

Can't read the entire thread but cone people.

Offline indeedproceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1946
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't think it's fair to equate an unabashed conspiracy theorist and adamant 'truther' (my good lord that self-anointed moniker is presumptuous) and Ron Paul, who is merely a libertarian. To me it's not even a fine line, Ron Paul believes in small government, strict fiscal responsibility, a military meant for defense only, and extreme individual accountability.

These ideas are radical in the current political spectrum, but they're not crazy. Alex Jones seems flat out crazy. He believes all kinds of crazy over-arcing theories, ideas that aren't based in a reality that isn't drunk on paranoia and hubris.

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK
Free Agency Tracker: Link

Online D.o.s.

• Don Nelson
I don't think it's fair to equate an unabashed conspiracy theorist and adamant 'truther' (my good lord that self-anointed moniker is presumptuous) and Ron Paul, who is merely a libertarian. To me it's not even a fine line, Ron Paul believes in small government, strict fiscal responsibility, a military meant for defense only, and extreme individual accountability.

These ideas are radical in the current political spectrum, but they're not crazy. Alex Jones seems flat out crazy. He believes all kinds of crazy over-arcing theories, ideas that aren't based in a reality that isn't drunk on paranoia and hubris.

...must...ignore...cheap...shot...at...libertarian...ideology... ;)

Offline indeedproceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1946
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

...must...ignore...cheap...shot...at...libertarian...ideology... ;)

And I appreciate it. I get really frustrated with my libertarian friends, but as long as the discourse is polite and sincere, there is no reason to demean anyone. We're all just Americans who want the best for our country, afterall.

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK
Free Agency Tracker: Link

Online D.o.s.

• Don Nelson
Pretty much.

And, full disclosure, I love me some X-Files/black helicopters/tinfoil thinking, so I have a bit of a soft spot for Alex Jones, but I have, uh, basic cultural differences with the people who seem to sincerely buy into that stuff.

Offline KGs Knee

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 643
This interview should be proof positive that guns should not be in the hands of the populace. The guy is demonstrably unstable, was getting angry quite easily, wanted to punch Morgan for no reason and yet he has guns and says no one can take them from him.

And people think this type of behavior is going to help those who want to limit gun control laws? I see and have read a lot of people act the same way as Alex Jones when discussing gun control.

"Just try to take the guns from us! Just try! See what happens!!!"

My guess is more guns going off and killing people is what happens and guess what? That just continues to support the reason why people shouldn't have guns. They get a God complex and suddenly feel they get to decide who lives and dies. They feel omnipotent. And then they stand behind their gun with their finger on the trigger.

33,000+ gun deaths, 11,000+ gun homicides, hundreds of thousands of gun related violent incidences per year later, we have what we call reality in America today. In 25 years over 1 million Americans will die because of guns. 250,000+ Americans will be murdered with guns, Tens of millions of incidences of violence involving guns will occur in America.

And people think that price of death and violence is worth paying to have guns available to the ordinary citizen.

I think that price to high a price to pay.

Repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Thank you, now my head hurts.

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2186
No matter what the principle,  each side will call on the extremists on the opposition to make their points.  If you listen to that, you are letting extremists (on both sides) decide your course of action.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Dave Cowens
I don't think it's fair to equate an unabashed conspiracy theorist and adamant 'truther' (my good lord that self-anointed moniker is presumptuous) and Ron Paul, who is merely a libertarian.

While I don't think anybody is equating them, Paul has voluntarily chosen to go on Jones' show numerous times, and has "played along" with some of his conspiracies.  When you sleep with dogs, don't be surprised when people start wondering if you have fleas.

Offline JSD

• Tiny Archibald
  • Just So Dedicated
I don't think it's fair to equate an unabashed conspiracy theorist and adamant 'truther' (my good lord that self-anointed moniker is presumptuous) and Ron Paul, who is merely a libertarian.

While I don't think anybody is equating them, Paul has voluntarily chosen to go on Jones' show numerous times, and has "played along" with some of his conspiracies.  When you sleep with dogs, don't be surprised when people start wondering if you have fleas.

Nope, never even 'played along'. I'm definitely curious what your are referring to. As most of you know, I'm a dedicated Paul supporter and have probably heard every Paul interview conducted in the last 5 years including ones he has done with Jones. Paul doesn't give credence to any of Jones' arguments beyond those that advocate limited government.

Offline LB3533

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 306
Within every subset of people, there are extreme types of all kinds.

Alex Jones is probably the KG of his subgroup. One could equate Jones's "crazy" as passion.

People are different and there are some people who only respond to aggressive, passionate personalities. Some people actually gravitate towards those kinds of personalities.

The short video clip only portrays Alex Jones's passion and craziness for a short time frame. Alex isn't like that all the time. He only gets that way when he is really "in to it".

An example: when Tommy Heinshon gets riled up from the NBA refs, he can sound rather "passionate" as well....sometimes....but that is not 100% of the time.

There are also many sports fans who say "crazy" things and demonstrate "crazy" personalities towards opposing players. I think a few Knicks fans wished Paul Pierce ceased to exist, but they used coarse language and vile intent.

I, for one, was never into believing conspiracies....but things have changed for me, over these last 10+ years.

Is it foolish to place any credence into conspiracies?

Is it naive not to?

If people can fly airplanes into buildings killing thousands, or shoot up schools, movie theaters, killing all kinds of people including 6 year olds.....why not conspiracies?

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Dave Cowens

Nope, never even 'played along'. I'm definitely curious what your are referring to. As most of you know, I'm a dedicated Paul supporter and have probably heard every Paul interview conducted in the last 5 years including ones he has done with Jones. Paul doesn't give credence to any of Jones' arguments beyond those that advocate limited government.

I see this as playing along:

CIA coups, "secret armies", etc.? 

Similarly, see here:

http://ronpaulsupporters.com/ron-paul-talks-new-world-order-and-conspiracies-with-alex-jones/

Jones talks about his "New World Order" conspiracy, and Paul doesn't disavow it.  Rather, he plays along.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Dave Cowens
Within every subset of people, there are extreme types of all kinds.

Alex Jones is probably the KG of his subgroup. One could equate Jones's "crazy" as passion.

People are different and there are some people who only respond to aggressive, passionate personalities. Some people actually gravitate towards those kinds of personalities.

The short video clip only portrays Alex Jones's passion and craziness for a short time frame. Alex isn't like that all the time. He only gets that way when he is really "in to it".

An example: when Tommy Heinshon gets riled up from the NBA refs, he can sound rather "passionate" as well....sometimes....but that is not 100% of the time.

There are also many sports fans who say "crazy" things and demonstrate "crazy" personalities towards opposing players. I think a few Knicks fans wished Paul Pierce ceased to exist, but they used coarse language and vile intent.

I, for one, was never into believing conspiracies....but things have changed for me, over these last 10+ years.

Is it foolish to place any credence into conspiracies?

Is it naive not to?

If people can fly airplanes into buildings killing thousands, or shoot up schools, movie theaters, killing all kinds of people including 6 year olds.....why not conspiracies?

Jones believes 9/11 and the Oklahoma City bombing were inside jobs by the U.S. government, thinks the government intentionally blew up the space shuttle Columbia, and believes that the government is intentionally causing people to turn gay through chemicals inserted into our food.  Those are his more mild conspiracies, too.

CRAZY.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog