Author Topic: This game against the Knicks made me think twice about the Celtics  (Read 5601 times)

Re: This game against the Knicks made me think twice about the Celtics
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 08:25:33 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
No doubt the last 3 wins have been impressive

Having said that, we shouldn't be so reactionary.

If the Celts can still land a big man, then they need to.

If they need to offer a sizable package for Cousins, then so be it.

Let's not forget, especially after what happened with Hansbrough and Carmelo, that teams are going to now start coming after KG and the Celtics, VERY aggressively.

We need to be ready and more "armed" when they do. That's why a big like Cousins, or even Gortat, Varajeo, Nene, etc would be nice to have, as reinforcement if nothing else

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I actually don't hate Bass
As a bench player, he is awesome. But as a full time starter....hell no

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 05:26:06 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
the c's just went out and beat 3 teams with some of the best centers in the east.

Hibbert, al hortford, tyson chandler..

I would like an improvement from collins, but I dont think we necessaraly need to make any big moves. Right now, Sullinger is practically a guy who can give you 10rebounds.

having elite perimiter defense is just as good as having a big who can "clean up mistakes" just like last year, our perimiter defense from Bradley/lee is Keeping guards from pepentrating into the paint and its allowing our bigs to stay down there and not have to rotate and leave their man.

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
the c's just went out and beat 3 teams with some of the best centers in the east.

Hibbert, al hortford, tyson chandler..

I would like an improvement from collins, but I dont think we necessaraly need to make any big moves. Right now, Sullinger is practically a guy who can give you 10rebounds.

having elite perimiter defense is just as good as having a big who can "clean up mistakes" just like last year, our perimiter defense from Bradley/lee is Keeping guards from pepentrating into the paint and its allowing our bigs to stay down there and not have to rotate and leave their man.
Very true
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 06:06:01 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Well, you have to give up something to get something. So if the C's stand pat they aren't going to get anyone good...especially not a good big man.

OTOH, the C's do have two open roster spots now and could add vet min players to those spots (I think that wouldn't put them over the hard cap). What the C's can't do is take on salary that puts them over the hard cap.  If someone gets bought out and clears waivers, maybe, the C's can get him. Maybe they take a look at Anderson, but I suspect that if Danny and Doc wanted to do that they'd have already done so. Maybe Danny goes fishing in the D League again. Maybe the C's bring Fab Melo up and try him out. Maybe they just wait for Wilcox and see if he's enough to shore up the inside.

Personally, I'm coming around on Sullinger. He's played better defense recently than I thought he was capable of playing and there is still room for improvement. I can't see him being a feature player on offense, but he should be able to get his 10 to 12 points as a secondary player...maybe more if he starts taking and hitting 15 foot jump shots.

Bradley, I've liked from the beginning. I've been saying his up side was to be another Joe Dumars and I haven't changed my tune. Avery is certainly capable of being in the core of a championship team.

Here's the problem, though. Danny has said...and I think he still believes...you get your stars first and then you build your team around them. Danny traded Jefferson & G Green for KG; West & J Green's pick for Ray Allen...but he kept Perk and Rondo.

Right now he's realistically got some combination of Green, Bass, Bradley, Sullinger, Lee and Fab to deal with. I don't think he'll trade Rondo, Pierce, KG, or Terry. He needs *one* more star right now, or two stars longer term. 

Frankly, I expect him to hold his fire for now, but don't get attached to anybody not named Rondo, Pierce or KG because at some point he'll be trading "non-core" players.

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 06:47:44 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1556
dont forget we still dont have wilcox back in our line up. He always provides energy off the bench

he cannot block shots and neither can sully. we need another big who can get it done at the 5 along with KG if we are going to win a championship.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 06:54:39 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Is one game not much. The season is composed of 82 games

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »

Offline LennyBruce

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Trading Lee will be a big mistake, no pun intended.

How is this a pun?

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 07:40:18 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Trading Lee will be a big mistake, no pun intended.

How is this a pun?

I missed it too at first but he means "big mistake"... because we would be obtaining a big...
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 08:06:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
DAnny is waiting and watching these next few games carefully to see how much of trade happens.  I think if he can get a cousins level upgrade he will or would

I think really since Cousins is off the table,  he he'll make a frugal upgrade to protect the rim , and not trade off the KIDS .  Sully, AB and Melo

The results of the next three games may very well impact who may go and stay.

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 08:12:33 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
They should pickup Birdman, I know this guy has had issues in the past, and had a recent one too. (look into it further, i think he's innocent)

but this guy is pure energy and hustle, and hes huge too.
the celtics need this kind of player, we need a bat *poop* crazy guy on our team.

ps i know KG can be crazy, but we need someone mental, and thats chris birdman andersen.

I actually looked up his case, I really don't think he is even in question for wrongdoing.  I think the Mom of the girl is the one the cops are interested in for blackmailing the Birdman.  The police took his computer, but I think they took it to charge her.  Either way, the case seems dead.

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 08:18:02 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
no no

Bass stays..i dont care what u think of him now
but he is playoffs proven..Bass is solid

Lee stays

when hot he cant be stopped..from 3pts to drive and bashin..young n quick is what we need

trade jet..he has disappointed me..
he should be called prop plane...

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 08:23:25 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1556
no no

Bass stays..i dont care what u think of him now
but he is playoffs proven..Bass is solid

Lee stays

when hot he cant be stopped..from 3pts to drive and bashin..young n quick is what we need

trade jet..he has disappointed me..
he should be called prop plane...

and JET is not playoff proven? JET? The heat killer? u are joking right?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:37 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Here's our roster in order of my willingness to trade (of course, depending on the deal, it could alter my perception):

Barbosa
Collins
Bass
Melo
Terry
Green
Wilcox
Sully or Lee
Rondo
Bradley
Garnett
Pierce
I don't want to trade Bass because I like the starting units chemistry they have built up. I know lots of people don't like Bass but I think he comes through for us when it matters most usually and gives us much needed athleticism we've lacked in years past.

Bass and Sullinger have shown time and time again that they can't play together, so if the goal is to add a big, one of those should go... and I'd rather it be Bass than Sully.

I don't want to trade anyone if possible, but with Sullinger emerging, I really don't trust Doc to use our rotations wisely with those two on the roster. The key would be to see how he rotates once Wilcox comes back, that will be telling.

That said, I really like how Wilcox plays, and would give him minutes over Bass personally. I'd like to see him play with KG more often, something he's barely done this year (about 5 minutes total), so with that in mind, it's another reason why I'd like to see Bass moved. But, I don't trust Wilcox's health, so that's another problem, but if you trade Bass and land yourself a serviceable/decent to good big, then you pull the trigger I say.

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
We are the most fickle fanbase in the NBA
The only color that matters is GREEN