Author Topic: Is Jason Terry just a bad fit?  (Read 5682 times)

Re: Is Jason Terry just a bad fit?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 03:29:42 AM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
wrong thread

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 06:01:19 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
JT is simply not a spot up shooter! He's a "feel" shooter, who has to have the ball, do a little shake and bake, and then HE dedides when to shoot when it "feels" right! A lot of guys like this---but it's not really the Celtic way of passing the ball and getting guys wide open shots, or running guys off screens, ala RA.  Lots of guys aren't comfortable doing that--they need that little bit of streetball to feel right! JT has always been that way. Since he is really trying to be the "true Celtic", he's really making the effort--it's just not him and hurting his game! Throw in being on a new team after all those years in
Dallas, and it's just not clicking yet---but it will, given enough time!

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 06:12:42 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
JT is simply not a spot up shooter! He's a "feel" shooter, who has to have the ball, do a little shake and bake, and then HE dedides when to shoot when it "feels" right! A lot of guys like this---but it's not really the Celtic way of passing the ball and getting guys wide open shots, or running guys off screens, ala RA.  Lots of guys aren't comfortable doing that--they need that little bit of streetball to feel right! JT has always been that way. Since he is really trying to be the "true Celtic", he's really making the effort--it's just not him and hurting his game! Throw in being on a new team after all those years in
Dallas, and it's just not clicking yet---but it will, given enough time!
He looked pretty comfortable out there tonight, he dropped a sick dime to forget who for the flush during an important part of the game.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 07:11:42 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Misused more than anything.

He should not be starting.  Ever.  He is used to the bench role and should stay there.

Lee and Bradley were a great fit last night.

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Honestly best way to play him would be to just bring him  in near the end when there is 2-5 min remaining in a quarter.

The guy just tries harder and thrives in pressure situations. its like he is too old for anything else before that. Perfect example was last night in the 4th quarter, when he pulled through with those three sweet passes.

So i agree, possibly missused.

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:55 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Wasn't able to save the game for later, which I intended upon. So I just finished it.

Everything was amazing, even the paint defense. It was really crowded in our paint. Love it.

Well, everything was amazing except for one thing. Pierce had half the scoring load.

Here's where the Jet comes in. Rondo and Pierce were the only ones who were able to create their own shots at will off the dribble (KG needs an entry pass). Now we have the Jet. We just need a runway for him.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

He should not be starting.  Ever.  He is used to the bench role and should stay there.

Not really about starting, just of little use as a SG for us, particularly on the role they have him playing. Play him ad a PG, do pick-and-rolls, and he'll thrive.

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 09:45:58 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Nope.

I still believe in the Jet.

He's just having a bad stretch. He'll break out of it sooner than later, I'm sure of it.

I agree.  I don't think he's a bad fit, and I don't really think he's being misused.  I'm not bothered by the fact that Doc's not putting the ball in his hands a ton.  Jet doesn't seem to be bothered by it either.  I love Jason's attitude.  He knows that it's not about getting him his touches. 

This team looks like it's starting to work.  Doc looks less stupid when his guys play the way they have been lately.

That's kind of where I'm at, too. It took a few games longer than expected, but this team is starting to look like they were slated to at the outset of the season.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Not really about starting, just of little use as a SG for us, particularly on the role they have him playing. Play him ad a PG, do pick-and-rolls, and he'll thrive.
He played SG mostly for Dallas though, usually next to a PG who doesn't need the ball though. (Kidd)

He'd playmake for them a lot, but they always had another ballhandler out there. I guess that's what we're trying to do with Lee and him on the court?

Hopefully they figure out if he just needs to be the backup PG for us or what.

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

He played SG mostly for Dallas though, usually next to a PG who doesn't need the ball though. (Kidd)

He'd playmake for them a lot, but they always had another ballhandler out there. I guess that's what we're trying to do with Lee and him on the court?

He looked good coming off the bench with Lee when he did.

Like I said, you'll thank Danny when Pierce and Rondo are both out of the game and the Jet takes over the scoring load.

Sure, we had tons of assisted buckets tonight but Pierce had too big of a role on scoring.

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 10:18:53 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

That's why I qualified it by using "for us".

It's indeed what they're trying to do with Lee, but I much rather have Terry start the offense off a pick-and-roll... keep his mind on scoring and making plays, instead of playmaking. It's very obvious that Doc has our bench trying to run some system plays, but that just doesn't cut it...it's not the type of personnel he was given. He was given players that are good pick-and-roll players, who'll drive to the basket and have good options in the perimeter for kick-outs.

Doc is trying to use him as Ray Allen, when he's more of an Eddie House in the perimeter, with some ball-handling which will let him create off the dribble and good for pull-ups.

Then the Rondo problem, I've always felt he wasn't that good and giving the balls in good rhythm to our perimeter players. When they get into position, the ball should already be on its way to them, and it rarely happens, you'll see it more often and more clear in transition. You have to feed this guys with these opportunities, else you risk their shooting rhythm getting out of whack. Happened often with Ray too.

And Rondo is not a tall guy, so he doesn't fit well with Terry defensively, Terry just gets abused often by SGs.

But Terry has been struggling with his shot regardless too, so plenty of blame has to come his way, but I feel that collectively as a team, starting with Doc, we can put Terry in better position to contribute for us.

All that said, I love the Terry/Lee combo off the bench, the offense is not always there (which I hope will improve as they play together more), but surprisingly, they are very good defensively together... when Doc uses them on proper assignments that is.

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
No.  Terry will be huge in the playoffs.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:48 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
He was signed for the playoffs and that's when we'll see his true worth.

I also love how people constantly say "Doc's using him wrong.." When speaking of different players. Guess what guys, he's an nba coach pretty sure he knows what the hell he's doing, at least better then some of these Doc bashers who probably have a beer-gut and work at walmart.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 10:29:10 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I also love how people constantly say "Doc's using him wrong.." When speaking of different players. Guess what guys, he's an nba coach pretty sure he knows what the hell he's doing, at least better then some of these Doc bashers who probably have a beer-gut and work at walmart.

OMG, he's an NBA coach... he's perfect! No use criticizing him, he's an NBA coach after all!

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

OMG, he's an NBA coach... he's perfect! No use criticizing him, he's an NBA coach after all!

Yeah I kind of get his point but its a little overboard.

I mean Danny Ainge is an NBA GM there's a reason why he drafted JaJuan Johnson...