Author Topic: Just pure HEART, GRIT AND BALLS. Is it safe to say we are back?  (Read 5568 times)

Re: Just pure HEART, GRIT AND BALLS. Is it safe to say we are back?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 12:25:45 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
I've argued Avery and Sully's value for so long with friends (mostly NYers) who called me a homer on a daily basis. They can play, far better than they get credit for outside our little circle of green and happiness.

I am not against the idea at all... but what is the main reason we need a big going forward? I have been on board with changes since day 1, especially once we showed early on how soft we were defensively... our crux... but really how would a big impact our roster? Offense? Defense? In regular season and, beyond (and more importantly), in playoff match-ups...? Just curious to know what others think. Haven't worked it out in my own mind yet. Too stoked about these mini streak of grit and resulting dubs :)

The C's have too many undersized forwards. A legit center will pay dividends in the playoffs when you need a basket. It would be nice to have the Heat matchup with the C's if they are able to get that far.

There is only TWO spots we are better than the heat at. PG and C. with KG at C and another good one we can destroy bosh and anthony down low. kill their small ball baloney. Ab can slow down wade. problem is battier, miller and traitor hitting 3's on the perimeter. lebum will get his that is a given.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 12:52:45 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Didn't see it, but sounds like a great win....on the road against a good team, w/o Rondo (his suspension may have been unfair, but he's got to stop that stuff....it's hurting the team).

Hopefully we've turned a corner, and can play more up to the level of expectation of us, and the talent we have.   I still cling to the hope of a top 4 finish in the east, and good health by season end.  If so, I give us a fighting chance....

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 07:10:10 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Can't find  the KG interview- seems they removed it from youtube.
It was game 2 after beating Atlanta I think.
This will do until someone finds it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdrXfJWtv3E
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 07:19:33 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Yes, they are back.

The big question after the poor start to this year was if this new group could put up the defensive numbers that last year's team, or our other great Cs squads, had put up.

These last 4 games with AB have proven beyond a doubt that we have that elite Cs defense of the past.

Now it is just a matter of staying healthy, continuing to gel, everyone knowing their role, and putting forth the effort. 

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 08:23:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Pure heart, grit, and balls sounds like the recipe for the McRib.
TP for truth in advertising  ;D

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 08:28:16 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
We are now going to go undefeated between now and the 2045-46 season.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 08:41:03 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I didnt comment this much on front page since..... never

When is next game.... I am hungry!!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Great three games. The question is, how long can we sustain winning with just one guy taller than 6'10 in the regular big man rotation. I'm a bit concerned -- but at least the Bass/Sullinger combination has been working a bit better lately.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Great three games. The question is, how long can we sustain winning with just one guy taller than 6'10 in the regular big man rotation. I'm a bit concerned -- but at least the Bass/Sullinger combination has been working a bit better lately.

Two roster spots open, Wilcox injured at the moment, not really that concerned about it at the moment.

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 01:13:19 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I've argued Avery and Sully's value for so long with friends (mostly NYers) who called me a homer on a daily basis. They can play, far better than they get credit for outside our little circle of green and happiness.

I am not against the idea at all... but what is the main reason we need a big going forward? I have been on board with changes since day 1, especially once we showed early on how soft we were defensively... our crux... but really how would a big impact our roster? Offense? Defense? In regular season and, beyond (and more importantly), in playoff match-ups...? Just curious to know what others think. Haven't worked it out in my own mind yet. Too stoked about these mini streak of grit and resulting dubs :)

The C's have too many undersized forwards. A legit center will pay dividends in the playoffs when you need a basket. It would be nice to have the Heat matchup with the C's if they are able to get that far.

There is only TWO spots we are better than the heat at. PG and C. with KG at C and another good one we can destroy bosh and anthony down low. kill their small ball baloney. Ab can slow down wade. problem is battier, miller and traitor hitting 3's on the perimeter. lebum will get his that is a given.

Miami starts Bosh at Center. KG is best match up there, and I like Sully (or Bass) with Haslem at the 4. Really don't see a need for a big to get through the EC (God willingly...). Really only becomes a problem, imo, when we get to the bigger teams out west.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 01:25:50 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Miami starts Bosh at Center. KG is best match up there, and I like Sully (or Bass) with Haslem at the 4. Really don't see a need for a big to get through the EC (God willingly...). Really only becomes a problem, imo, when we get to the bigger teams out west.

Here is the real matchup:

Chalmers v Rondo
Wade v Bradley
Battier v Pierce
James v Bass/Sullinger/Green
Bosh V KG

it's a really tough out. KG isn't quick enough to mitigate Bosh completely, but he's good enough to make it a wash.

LeBron is just a nightmare at the 4.

Bradley is a good matchup v Wade.

Man it's a tough out. For the Cs to come out on top, we need to gel like a jello puddin pop. I think we can do it though.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 01:32:54 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Chalmers v Rondo
Wade v Bradley
Battier v Pierce
Bosh V KG

it's a really tough out. KG isn't quick enough to mitigate Bosh completely, but he's good enough to make it a wash.

Man it's a tough out. For the Cs to come out on top, we need to gel like a jello puddin pop. I think we can do it though.
We showed we could clamp down defensively Bradley and Lee and even Green with his athleticism will help on that end. Last year we had no presence on the boards Sully will definitely help in that regard this year if we see them. I say bring it on.  ;D
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 01:34:15 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Chalmers v Rondo
Wade v Bradley
Battier v Pierce
Bosh V KG

Great point, I think you're spot on. I honestly don't hate the match-ups, all around... think Sully is best suited to deal with Bosh and ideally push him out on perimeter, make him make long jumpers, and take advantage of his size rebounding. Lebron is obviously the issue... the Bass experiment last year didn't work out too well (but what would have?), and while Green is the great non-White hope, I just don't know if he has that Rondo/KG-type mentality to make it happen. I pray something changes between now and then, though. (That's all we can do!)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 03:00:20 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Chalmers v Rondo
Wade v Bradley
Battier v Pierce
Bosh V KG

Great point, I think you're spot on. I honestly don't hate the match-ups, all around... think Sully is best suited to deal with Bosh and ideally push him out on perimeter, make him make long jumpers, and take advantage of his size rebounding. Lebron is obviously the issue... the Bass experiment last year didn't work out too well (but what would have?), and while Green is the great non-White hope, I just don't know if he has that Rondo/KG-type mentality to make it happen. I pray something changes between now and then, though. (That's all we can do!)

Don't forget our bench though. Lee and Terry thrown in on our bench gives us a significantly better bench. They have two superstars- I'd say Wade is a step below last seasons form- he's lost a touch.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 06:08:59 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
the 1 problem that I have with playing Miami is if Garnett gets 2 foulsi then it's basically all over in the first quarter. Miami plays a lot over the rim so I know dribble penetration will be limited but LeBron and the Heat will continue to go strong to the hoop everytime. We'd then over compensate and help out our smaller low post defenderrs which will leave their shooters open for 3's.