Author Topic: Doc: Sully is a warrior, he's going nowhere....  (Read 17564 times)

Re: Doc: Sully is a warrior, he's going nowhere....
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
Sully was projected as a top five talent for most of his college career. The injury possibility is what made him drop to us.

I'm telling you he's got a shot to be Kevin love 2.0. Keep working on the jumper and slimming down and he can be that good. Look at love in college and his rookie year. Sully is incredibly similar.

Love with exceptional defense  :o
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2013, 11:27:38 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Gawd I love that kid! 8)
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Can we now assume that when he wants #7 in the game, Doc says, "Sullinger....COME OUT AND PLAYYYY"

TP for "The Warriors" reference. Fun movie.

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
where has this idea come from that Gortat is some sort of star?

Sullinger is only going to get better and better...now im not saying we can NEVER trade him. but trading a guy with sullys potential(even if its to be a trade chip for a star in the future) for a role-player like Gortat??

im sure we all regret how the C's traded Joe johnson/Chauncey billups for what at the time were "help for now"
JJ yes, Chauncey never.

I like Sully but would want to keep him if we're getting Gortat or Varejao.
That's funny considering Chauncey had a better career.
Billups also bounced around to 3 other teams before he finally put it together in Detroit.

Joe Johnson's also got quite a bit of career left. I'd rank them as similar level players, though Chauncey obviously has had a lot more team success.
I'll give you similar as far as the grand scheme of things, but I still think Chauncey has been better.  Better defender, better passer, better shooter, better at drawing fouls, much better leader, much better in end of game situations when it really counts.

Pretty equal scorers, although it's worth mentioning Johnson has never reached 56% TS for a season, something Chauncey has done 8 times, with 5 of those being over 60%.  Johnson is better in isolation, whereas Billups is a bit more versatile.  He's better at getting others involved and making his teammates better.

That's a whole lot of "better" and not much to be said for the other way around.  And this completely ignores the most important part, winning.  I consider Johnson an extremely underrated passer, defender, post-up player, hell, player period.  But even if you're saying he's on the same level, it's ridiculous that anybody would go back and keep Johnson but "never" Billups.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2013, 05:06:02 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I don't get the common refrain that Sully is "undersized."  Yes, he is undersized for a CENTER.  But he is a prototypical NBA power forward.

Sully is a legit 6'9", with the reach of someone a couple inches taller.  He is a LOAD.  Chris Bosh and Josh Smith are not going to beat him for many rebounds, even though they are much quicker and jump much higher.

Sully does all the things you want an NBA big to do.  He will get some shots blocked.  When you take it down low, you will get blocked sometimes.  Who cares.  He is going to keep battling and he will score down there more than he wont.

I can't believe 20 teams passed on this guy.  ROYCE WHITE??????

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2013, 05:14:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't get the common refrain that Sully is "undersized."  Yes, he is undersized for a CENTER.  But he is a prototypical NBA power forward.
He's not undersized. He's just not particularly long or athletic, so he plays smaller than his size.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2013, 05:18:53 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
people are too obsessed with "athletic/long" Sullinger has already proven he can go out there and grab rebounds from those guys who are "more athletic" just by using his body and positioning.

he went toe-to-toe with Tyson chandler one of the more agressive centers in the nba...and he held his own

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2013, 05:22:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
people are too obsessed with "athletic/long" Sullinger has already proven he can go out there and grab rebounds from those guys who are "more athletic" just by using his body and positioning.

he went toe-to-toe with Tyson chandler one of the more agressive centers in the nba...and he held his own
The problem is not rebounding - finishing at the rim, challenging shots, and defending the post (against players with offensive moves beyond the wide open dunk) are.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2013, 05:27:41 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

The problem is not rebounding - finishing at the rim, challenging shots, and defending the post (against players with offensive moves beyond the wide open dunk) are.

we have to keep in mind though, the kid is only a rookie....athletically he's very similar to kevin love. and he seems to have had no problem scoring.

it would only make sense that he can only improve in that department with time.

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

This TP.

Kid is a player, he has strengths and some disadvantages.

I think as he gains strength he will be able to push people around and push people out of position more like BBD did.   I do not think he will ever challenge shots but he can get people out of position and change their comfort level.

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2013, 05:46:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

we have to keep in mind though, the kid is only a rookie....athletically he's very similar to kevin love. and he seems to have had no problem scoring.

it would only make sense that he can only improve in that department with time.
Similar size, yes. Similar athleticism, not qutie.

Love came out considerably more athletic (better verticals, better agility drill, better 3/4 court sprint), and was still considered below average for NBA standards.

Also, Sullinger has lower body fat, for what it's worth -- so Love may have been in worse shape at that point.

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2013, 05:48:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

This TP.

Kid is a player, he has strengths and some disadvantages.

I think as he gains strength he will be able to push people around and push people out of position more like BBD did.   I do not think he will ever challenge shots but he can get people out of position and change their comfort level.
I'm not saying he's not going to be a player. I'm quietly optimistic. But if he is, that's going to be because of skill, smarts, and general intangibles. Not because he's a special physical specimen in any respect.

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2013, 08:31:20 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Adrian Dantley: Too slow and short to score in the paint
Wes Unseld: Could "never" play center, also too short
Charles Barkely: "Way too short" to play in the paint
Dennis Rodman: Could never play Shaq straight up on D
Hell, Larry Bird can't jump. or run.

I'[m not saying Sully's sniffs any of the above's at this point but the point is that some guys, it doesn't matter if they're a little shorter or slower, they're going to figure out the way to kick your butt anyway.

Sully is one of those guys.

But let's not forget. He may only be 6'8" or 6'9" but he has a 7 foot plus reach, he's not a T-rex like Big baby.

Also, everyone says how slow he is. I didn't see that in Summer league and I haven't seen it in the NBA so far either.

Either he's a genius on rotations and he knwos where everyone is going to be at all times and just goes there first. Or, maybe he's a better athlete than  alot of people give him credit for.

But what I like best about Sully? You dont' want to meet him in a dark alley - he's an all in type of player and he had his butt handed to him his whole life by his bigger brothers - I'm sure he's taken alot worse physical beatings on a basketball court growing up than he's ever had in college or the pros. The kid is tough. He "likes" the contact.

Give him two more years, about 15 pounds of muslce in place of Baby fat - very possibly a 20-10 guys, especially once the refs accept his game in the paint. He'll spend entire quarters at the foul line.

The kid is not nearly as pudgy as Big baby either. With training he can and probably will be much more like Perkins or malone in physique than Baby or Zach randolph type.

He's only 20 and he appears to have a lot of natural strenth.     

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sully is one of those guys.

Look at these guys and compare their rookie stats to Sully and tell me that he is one of these guys.  You will find that his rookie stats are more akin to Trex than these hall of famers.

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Yeah True. I did say his ability does not scare the above's ability. Not sure if you caught that.

What makes Sully special, at whatever level he evenatually achieves, which I do think will be a 20/10 guy, is that it's a big mistake to look at a guy with his mentality and say he's too short or too slow, he can't do that.

Sully is "one of those guys" who figures out how to beat your ass with what he's got. That is a special quality and it's a quality those hall of famers also had.

That was my point - not that Jared Sullinger is Larry Bird.

For me, that's not a quality in a player I trade away easily. Rondo also has that quality - he cant' shoot, but he can figure out how to score 40 on you when he wants to.

So whether Sully turns into a HOF'r or just a great, great role guy - it's the mindset and intangibles to his game that I'm talking about that I think are unique and valuable.