Author Topic: Rondo Suspended 1 Game  (Read 11406 times)

Re: Rondo Suspended 1 Game
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2013, 06:31:37 PM »

Offline rondofor3

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
F the NBA. If they had decent officials Rondo wouldn't of had a reason to argue over the terrible call.

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2013, 06:35:18 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
could have been worse. He could have been thrown out of the ATL game which more than likely ends up a loss and then suspended for tonight on top of it. Cs will just have to dig deep and gut out a W tonight. I have a feeling Barbosa can give us good minutes.

Well if it were actually a bump he would have been thrown out. He wasn't thrown out because it was incidental contact.   In fact, I'm not sure the way it looks if the official didn't make the initial move to make the contact. And the second 'touch' is them just walking closely together.  If the official felt any aggression at all he would have tossed him. This was nothing like the bump incident.  I'll be interested in hearing more about the refual to cooperate part.

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
absolutely ridiculous suspension
nba is a joke, watch the game again and count missed calls on really obvious stuff, if the ref thought he was bumped he would have called it

You mean like Josh Smith pimp slapping Rondo's face and the the refs not only didn't call a foul, but gave the ball to the Hawks?

If KG did that it would have been a flagrant 2 and an ejection.  At least KG hit the ball.  The League reviews those and yet no flagrant assessed to Smith, so I guess there wasn't really contact to Rondo's head?

TP here exactly the case im talking about. the excuse for KG's flagrant 2 the other day the ref stated to doc "he hit him in the head, what do you want me to do"

Not to mention that its absurd that nothing was done one the court at the time of the altercation, i heard the announcers mention something about it be he was 5X the homer tommy is

The ref obviously didnt think it was a big deal then, why does it have to be one now.

**** i cant wait till NBA front office gets gutted. Bring in some new officials that actually call the fairly and call things like palms, travels ect. its bull**** today
KG's foul where Mike Gorman, upon seeing the replay, said straight out to Tommy, "That's a flagrant"?

Doesn't seem controversial to me.

The ref not making the call does not decide the issue. The ref might not want to impact the game in progress despite Rondo being way out of line. If the ref made a mistake, the league is rectifying it. Not a problem.

You misunderstand me, I'm not saying Garnet's shouldn't have been a flagrant 2.  If any hit to the head is a flagrant 2 then fine. 

What I am saying is that the league reviews the game.  On seeing Smith slap Rondo in the face he should be assessed a flagrant 2.  I haven't heard that it happened.  There is no reason Garnet should have a flagrant 2 and not Smith.

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2013, 06:38:19 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
This is why it is important.

"A. Flagrant Foul Rules

There are two types of Flagrant Fouls, as follows:

Flagrant "1" (FFP1) - unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession.

Flagrant "2" (FFP2) - unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession and the player committing the foul is automatically ejected.

Any player who commits two Flagrant "1" Fouls in the same game will be automatically ejected from that game.

In addition, in order to address the problem of repeat offenders, the following three-point system will be in effect during the 2010 Playoffs:

• Flagrant "1" = 1 point

• Flagrant "2" = 2 points

A player will receive the points set forth above for each flagrant foul committed during the Playoffs. If the player's Playoff total exceeds 3 points, he will receive an automatic suspension following the game in which his point total exceeds 3 points and for each additional flagrant foul committed during the Playoffs, as follows:

Player at 2 points commits a FFP2: automatic one-game suspension

Player at 3 or 4 points commits a FFP1: automatic one-game suspension

Player at 3 or 4 points commits a FFP2: automatic two-game suspension

Player at 5 points or more commits a FFP1 or FFP2: automatic two-game suspension

Once a player accumulates two (2) points, the League Office will immediately: (i) notify his team by e-mail; and (ii) send the player a letter by overnight mail (with a copy to his Head Coach and General Manager), in each case advising of the player's current point total and the penalties for any additional flagrant fouls he may commit during the Playoffs.

The League Office will review all flagrant fouls ("1" and "2"), and will have the right, following review, to reclassify a flagrant foul or to classify as flagrant a foul not called flagrant during a game. In addition, the League Office maintains the right to impose a fine and/or suspension upon any player who commits a flagrant foul at any time during the Playoffs (regardless of whether the point levels described above are reached).

The League Office will consider the following factors (as well as any other relevant facts and circumstances) in determining whether to classify a foul as Flagrant "1" or Flagrant "2", to reclassify a flagrant foul, or to impose a fine and/or suspension on the player involved:

1. The severity of the contact;

2. Whether or not the player was making a legitimate basketball play (e.g., whether a player is making a legitimate effort to block a shot; note, however, that a foul committed during a block attempt can still be considered flagrant if other criteria are present such as recklessness and hard contact to the head);

3. Whether, on a foul committed with a player's arm or hand, the fouling player wound up and/or followed through after making contact;

4. The potential for injury resulting from contact (e.g., a blow to the head and a foul committed while a player is in a vulnerable position);

5. The severity of any injury suffered by the offended player; and

6. The outcome of the contact (e.g., whether it led to an altercation).

NOTE: Each team will continue to be held responsible for the actions of its players on the court. Accordingly, if any individual player or team (collectively) commits, in the judgment of the League Office, an excessive number of flagrant fouls during the Playoffs, the player and/or that team's Head Coach will be subject to appropriate fines and/or suspensions."

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2013, 06:38:58 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Rondo's stubbornness is a significant problem. People like that are prone to not take responsibility for their actions.

He is a great player and I'm glad to have him, but he is a bit of a loose cannon due to his temper issues and lack of respect for others. That is part of what makes him great, but it will also lead to him being suspended at moments like this.

Speaking as someone who can be a bit stubborn, I feel the need to stand up for stubborn people, here.  ;D

Sometimes stubbornness is actually a determination bred from knowing you're right. I'm not saying Rondo is blameless in this situation, or in any of his previous incidents, but there have been times when I know I'm right, but people keep saying I'm wrong, and it seems like an injustice to acquiesce to their bad judgments. It's hard to "let it go," even if that might be the better thing to do.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2013, 06:39:35 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
Whoops, that is the playoff rules. 

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
Here we go, same idea.  So Garnet has 2pts and Smith 0.  Smith just whacked Rondo in the face and didn't hit the ball, Garnet actually blocked Hansborough's shot.  Doesn't seem kosher to me.

III. Discipline
A. Regular Season Flagrant Foul Guidelines – A player will receive one point for
Flagrant 1 fouls and two points for Flagrant 2 fouls. If the player’s season total
exceeds 5 points, he will receive an automatic suspension following the game in
which his point total exceeds 5 points and for each additional flagrant foul committed
during that season, as follows:
Player at 4 points commits a Flagrant 2 foul: automatic 1 game suspension
Player at 5 or 6 points commits a Flagrant 1 foul: automatic 1 game suspension
Player at 5 or 6 points commits a Flagrant 2 foul: automatic 2 game suspension
Player at 7 points or more commits a Flagrant 1 or 2 foul: automatic 2 game
suspension

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

A big hand from Stern. As soon as he realized the Celtics were playing his beloved Knicks it was an easy decision to suspend him.

Thanks Dave!

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2013, 07:30:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Even my wife saw Rondo rub the Ref..... I gasp ...becasue even though it was a "HEY BUDDY" type rub...in a friendly manor ...Neither Rondo or Ref really looked mad ....so I kinda passed it off. My thought is ROndo needs to stay 30 feet from the refs, just another case of LACK of consentration...He SHOULD have learned to STAY completely away form the refs last time so ,so another close contract incident wouldn't happen.... ???  What is wrong with ROndos BRAIN  ??? ::) 

The knee -jerk reaction to everything basically in our society is just getting too wierd .

That just shot the Celtics chance of winning  in the head at hte KNICKS :'(   .

He kills the team with incredible stupidiness .

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2013, 07:43:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You can't go around bumping refs, but seriously, if the ref didn't have a problem with it at the time, let it go.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

You can't go around bumping refs, but seriously, if the ref didn't have a problem with it at the time, let it go.

Wade has made that sort of contact several times with referees this season and received no sanction.

This is blatant favoritism. Not to mention the incident was after one of the worst refereeing calls I've ever seen.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2013, 08:01:34 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
According to Doc, Rondo talked to the league about the incident.  Curiois to see what there definition of "uncooperative" means
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2013, 08:05:44 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Wade has made that sort of contact several times with referees this season and received no sanction.

This is blatant favoritism. Not to mention the incident was after one of the worst refereeing calls I've ever seen.

That is what just kills me about this. How can players know how to act, when different players can do different things. Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Howard, and a few others, can spend 15 seconds shouting at a ref, or staring them down, or spaking them playfully on the rear, and in general act like pretentious babies everytime they don't get a call. When Rondo or KG does something it is seen as so much worse than it is. KG gets flagrant 2 and not Josh Smith? I swear at least once a game LBJ aruges incessantly with a ref for 20 seconds and I have never seen him get a tech. KG gets techs for saying 2 words to the refs.

It is quickly becomming difficult to watch the NBA when the best players get treated differently than other players.

« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
next time just say all kinds of expletives to the ref.  It doesnt seem to hurt wade or lebron

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2013, 08:54:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."