Author Topic: Am I the only one who really wants no part of Demarcus "ME ME ME" Cousins?  (Read 4670 times)

Re: Am I the only one who really wants no part of Demarcus "ME ME ME" Cousins?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 04:18:53 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Demarcus Cousins appears to be Derrik Coleman 2.0. Super talented, and super immature/selfish big man.

He has the talent to be the best center in the NBA. But his attitude will hold him back.

If he is the cornerstone of your team making max money, your team will never be much better than those Coleman New Jersey teams. But is he is brought in as a high paid role player to support another superstar (hopefully 2), and a cast of high character teammates, you could have some 76ers Coleman-esque success.

I bet his career will follow stride for stride in Coleman's path.

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 04:23:56 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Demarcus Cousins appears to be Derrik Coleman 2.0. Super talented, and super immature/selfish big man.

He has the talent to be the best center in the NBA. But his attitude will hold him back.

If he is the cornerstone of your team making max money, your team will never be much better than those Coleman New Jersey teams. But is he is brought in as a high paid role player to support another superstar (hopefully 2), and a cast of high character teammates, you could have some 76ers Coleman-esque success.

TP. Terrific analogy, I think.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

See, I think he is Sheed.  Super talented, super crazy.

Coleman had a lot more lazy in him.  While Sheed and Cousins might also have some of that, they also have a super competitive streak and no self control, which is their real problem. 

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The absolute, number one, ONLY reason I would not want a guy with supposed "character" issues, is if we're talking about a guy who supposedly doesn't care.  Somebody who just doesn't like playing basketball that much.

My understanding of Cousins is that he's a hot-head who sometimes lets his emotions get the better of him on the basketball court or when he's dealing with his coach.  If anything, it sounds like he cares too much at times.  He just needs to learn how to handle and channel his emotions properly.  Fine.

Give me talent.  You can teach character.  You can teach people to handle their emotions, to act more professionally.  You can't teach talent (or size).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »

Offline lip413

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
I have to disagree, i know emotionally he is immature, but his talent surpasses any package we could offer and is certainly worth the risk as long as we hold onto Rondo. Don't get me wrong I love Avery Bradley and may be Sully's #1 fan (i talk about him frequently on my podcast, i'll include link), but i think you gotta pull the trigger on this trade for the chance to add a franchise caliber center in this day and age of NBA basketball.

http://pickandpopdiaries.blogspot.com/2013/01/atlantic-division-roundup-celtics.html

I also threw in some trade ideas for Gortat and Varejao.  If we go after any big man, Sully is gone...maybe we hold onto Bradley if we go after Gortat.

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 04:39:51 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
The nba is full of me me me types. Cousins just happens to be a talented one. I want him

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

See, I think he is Sheed.  Super talented, super crazy.

Coleman had a lot more lazy in him.  While Sheed and Cousins might also have some of that, they also have a super competitive streak and no self control, which is their real problem.

Interesting. But the issue is still the same. Sheed / Coleman require a host of talented players around them so that he doesn't have to be the man. He just needs to be a super role player who exploits mismatches, and isn't responsible for more than that.

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Bad timing with this thread...

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 04:47:54 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
And even though he is a proceed with caution player, I think I'd go for it. A Coleman/Sheed-esque center who can put you over the top for the price of Bradley, Sullinger, and a pick or so. It is so hard to find a star level center.

I think Sacramento is going to want more than that though. I think they are going to want a legit all star in return like Rondo. At that point, no deal.

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Bad timing with this thread...

Serious question -- what would be the league-wide opinion of Rondo if he had been drafted by a team like the Kings? 

Or if the KG trade had never happened and the team had gone into full-blown rebuilding w/ out Pierce instead? 

Would he have even been given the opportunity to develop into the player he is today without the chance to grow as a person beside hard-working, team-oriented players like KG and Ray Allen? 

Or would he already be on his third team, finally starting to put it together after being benched and / or suspended multiple times for his attitude?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I shudder at what we will probably have to give up in the event that we trade with SAC for Cousins, but his talent is undeniable.

As for his supposed issues - is DeMarcus Cousins' situation really any different than another "Former" malcontent talented big man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaOQ1ZVkmf4

Funny what a change of scenery can do for someone.

Like I stated earlier - I shudder at what we will probably have to give up to get Cousins, but I'd be psyched to see him in Celtics Green next to Garnett, Rondo and Pierce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRax7fkBr5o

Somebody like him could make things VERY EASY for KG....

I trust whatever Danny and Doc does.

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 05:21:08 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I think I would pull the trigger on a Sully/Bradley for Cousins deal. Talented bigs still matter in this league unless you have LeBron or Durant. I think Melo/Cousins could be a nice frontline to build around with Rondo and Lee in the backcourt