Author Topic: Tony Allen  (Read 10293 times)

Re: Tony Allen
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

No. As got as you good hope for is Jordan in his prime. ;D

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Bipolar C's fans clowned Tony Allen when he was in Green for all his miscues. Now that he is excelling in Memphis, they pretend to have loved TA all along and it was a huge mistake not re-signing Tony. Make up your mind people.
He's "excelling in Memphis"? He's exactly the same player he has always been - if not worse this season. He had a big night against the Celtics, something he was definitely capable of before (once in 10 games or so). Please.

Tony Allen is just your typical love hate relationship player. He does great great things and you love him for it. Then he makes crazy bonehead plays and you can't believe he did it. He's just one of those players and he is still playing the same way in Memphis.

Yup, Trick or Treat Tony is alive and well.

It's nice to see him flourishing on Memphis (they're a fun team to watch), but I wouldn't want him walking through that door.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 03:08:41 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
No one will ever convince me that Tony left for.minutes not for more money.

They guy had made very little.money to that point in his career, he was gonna go tontye highest bidder.

I think Tony wanted to stay with the Celtics (just listen to his comments) but had to leave for more money.

Also you didn't have to over pay him. This wasn't a Posey contract. TA got fair if not lower money than he deserved

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 03:13:17 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
lets trade jeff green for tony allen. hows that for a trade proposal

In a second
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Bipolar C's fans clowned Tony Allen when he was in Green for all his miscues. Now that he is excelling in Memphis, they pretend to have loved TA all along and it was a huge mistake not re-signing Tony. Make up your mind people.
Right on.  I've never seen fans act so bipolar about a player in my life.  Good Tony and bad Tony hahaha?  What in the world is that?  A player is the sum of his parts.  He was always the same.  Sometimes he found no rhythm/confidence in those 10-15 minutes, but when he did he locked players down and then dunked on them in transition.  That's not good Tony, that's people failing to understand who he was.  As if players don't have ups and downs.... And as if always recovering from injury doesn't add to that.

I mean the amount of times I saw "I hate Tony Allen" on this site is absurd.  Hate.  You'd think he turned the ball over more than anyone in the league.  He wasn't even the most turnover prone guy on our team.  Perk was.  You didn't see anyone scapegoating "bad Perk" when he didn't bring anything to a game other than defense.
Perkins is more turnover prone by advanced stats  (TOV%) because he'd get called for moving screens a lot and didn't shoot much.

Tony Allen turned the ball over more per minute several years in Boston and his turnovers were usually dribbling the ball off his foot as he drove.

I'd cringe whenever Perkins posted up, as he was awful at turning it over in the post, but I'd cringe just as much whenever Tony "touched" the ball and looked like he wanted to drive.

Fortunately for Tony's career that's gotten better, in large part I think because he's no longer paired up with Rondo. Floor spacing was always bad with those two.

Sorry, but I just can't see how that justifies so much hate, regardless of the best in league perimeter defense.

Tony's last year here he had 1.2 TO per game with 1.3 assists per game.

Jeff Green has 1.4 TO per game with 0.8 assists per game this season.

Avery Bradley had 1.2 TO per game last year with 1.4 assists per game.

Keeping in mind they averaged 3-6 more minutes than Tony that's still not a ton of separation.  I know Tony was bad, and I know he was worse than these two players.  Most of all I know there's nothing that can be said to justify the amount of crap he got on this board.

Open it up to Tony's last 3 years here and it's 1.4 TO per game and 1.4 assists per game (18mpg).

Regardless of how you spin it, nobody ever says a dang thing about Green and Bradley's TOs and with Tony it was ALL you EVER heard ANYBODY say about him.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale