Author Topic: Howard Had to be Restrained FROM FIGHTING KOBE  (Read 9518 times)

Re: Howard Had to be Restrained FROM FIGHTING KOBE
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I'm not so sure there isn't something to this. Kobe feels the best way to motivate is to harass and be critical. Tough Love is his motto. Dwight won't respond well to that in my opinion. He's an AAU baby and has always been coddled.

I could definitely see Kobe saying, "Shaq was right. You are soft." in an effort to get the big man to play angry. Kobe doesn't play to have fun. He plays to win. He plays angry and furious. He's a lot like KG in that way. It's why KG always calls Howard a clown.

There are certain type of personalities that can play together and can't. Rondo and KG are perfect b/c they are wired very similarly. They would not work well with Howard, just like Kobe can't b/c he's just not serious enough for their taste.

I could see Kobe trying to get Dwight mad in an effort to get him to play dominant. I think it will back fire though. Dwight's body isn't ready. It's not recovered enough yet for him perform like he has before the injury.

Sometimes, you wonder if Kobe can see the forest through the trees. He might be turning on Dwight Howard already — you can see it — a crucial development since Dwight could simply flee to Dallas, Houston or Atlanta next summer. Howard's missed free throws are driving Kobe batty; he can barely hide his disdain on the court anymore. Same for Howard's trying-too-hard-to-be-jovial routine and a general impression that Howard doesn't live and die with the result of every basketball game. From what I heard, Kobe already played the "You don't know anything about winning championships!" card with Howard — during a scrimmage last week, when the second team beat the first team partly because Howard checked out (he wasn't getting the ball enough), followed by Kobe blistering him. That same week, Kobe needled Gasol publicly for not sucking it up with knee tendinitis, saying he needed to "put your big boy pants." The whole thing is strange.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8724362/the-kobe-question

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 03:48:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm not so sure there isn't something to this. Kobe feels the best way to motivate is to harass and be critical. Tough Love is his motto. Dwight won't respond well to that in my opinion. He's an AAU baby and has always been coddled.

I could definitely see Kobe saying, "Shaq was right. You are soft." in an effort to get the big man to play angry. Kobe doesn't play to have fun. He plays to win. He plays angry and furious. He's a lot like KG in that way. It's why KG always calls Howard a clown.

There are certain type of personalities that can play together and can't. Rondo and KG are perfect b/c they are wired very similarly. They would not work well with Howard, just like Kobe can't b/c he's just not serious enough for their taste.

I could see Kobe trying to get Dwight mad in an effort to get him to play dominant. I think it will back fire though. Dwight's body isn't ready. It's not recovered enough yet for him perform like he has before the injury.

Sometimes, you wonder if Kobe can see the forest through the trees. He might be turning on Dwight Howard already — you can see it — a crucial development since Dwight could simply flee to Dallas, Houston or Atlanta next summer. Howard's missed free throws are driving Kobe batty; he can barely hide his disdain on the court anymore. Same for Howard's trying-too-hard-to-be-jovial routine and a general impression that Howard doesn't live and die with the result of every basketball game. From what I heard, Kobe already played the "You don't know anything about winning championships!" card with Howard — during a scrimmage last week, when the second team beat the first team partly because Howard checked out (he wasn't getting the ball enough), followed by Kobe blistering him. That same week, Kobe needled Gasol publicly for not sucking it up with knee tendinitis, saying he needed to "put your big boy pants." The whole thing is strange.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8724362/the-kobe-question

I don't think the story is bunk because Kobe isn't a mean sonofabiscuit who will say/do whatever it takes so he gets to win, I think its bunk because 99.9% of the time, reporters over-inflate these stories in facts and in the way they portray the situation.

For instance, nobody posted about how "The Celtics Are Already Coming Apart" when KG and Powe got into a fistfight in an early practice. (Was it Powe or Perkins?)

Did Howard ever try to actually 'fight' Kobe? Doubt it. Maybe he went to yell at him, maybe Kobe did actually call him soft.

But at the end of everything, it seems a much more likely scenario that Kobe said something really mean and personal to howard, and Howard postured. Its not the type of thing that screams epic event to a teams' chemistry.

Self-edit: That's not what dissembling means, and I'm an idiot.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 03:49:26 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 03:52:54 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
I don't think the story is bunk because Kobe isn't a mean sonofabiscuit who will say/do whatever it takes so he gets to win, I think its bunk because 99.9% of the time, reporters over-inflate these stories in facts and in the way they portray the situation.

For instance, nobody posted about how "The Celtics Are Already Dissembling" when KG and Powe got into a fistfight in an early practice. (Was it Powe or Perkins?)

Did Howard ever try to actually 'fight' Kobe? Doubt it. Maybe he went to yell at him, maybe Kobe did actually call him soft.

But at the end of everything, it seems a much more likely scenario that Kobe said something really mean and personal to howard, and Howard postured. Its not the type of thing that screams epic event to a teams' chemistry.

I think anything like this is important because we have already seen what happened with Shaq. Howard can bounce after this season. Cuban will be waiting. If things continue to go worse and this season in LA nosedives then who do you think gets the blame, other then the coach? Kobe or Dwight?

It's not going to be Kobe.

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

For instance, nobody posted about how "The Celtics Are Already Dissembling" when KG and Powe got into a fistfight in an early practice. (Was it Powe or Perkins?)

I think anything like this is important because we have already seen what happened with Shaq. Howard can bounce after this season. Cuban will be waiting. If things continue to go worse and this season in LA nosedives then who do you think gets the blame, other then the coach? Kobe or Dwight?

Its going to be the coach, Gasol, and Mitch Kupchak. They won't blame Dwight, cuz Dwight's their best chance at staying a contender moving forward. He's their only chance.

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Its going to be the coach, Gasol, and Mitch Kupchak. They won't blame Dwight, cuz Dwight's their best chance at staying a contender moving forward. He's their only chance.

You underestimate the chances that Kobe pins this on Dwight. All the on-court bickering is between them two. Nash and Gasol aren't going to step up to him. Dwight will. And then at that point it becomes a battle of wills between the two of them.

No different then it was with Shaq. You're talking about two mega egos here. Before this season is done, and if things keep going the way they are, the media WILL make this a Kobe Vs Dwight situation.

Also if this continues then there is almost no chance Gasol isn't moved. LA will not just sit there and make no changes while the season goes down the toilet. They fired Brown after 5 games. They will move Gasol.

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 04:06:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

You underestimate the chances that Kobe pins this on Dwight. All the on-court bickering is between them two. Nash and Gasol aren't going to step up to him. Dwight will. And then at that point it becomes a battle of wills between the two of them.

No different then it was with Shaq. You're talking about two mega egos here. Before this season is done, and if things keep going the way they are, the media WILL make this a Kobe Vs Dwight situation.

Also if this continues then there is almost no chance Gasol isn't moved. LA will not just sit there and make no changes while the season goes down the toilet. They fired Brown after 5 games. They will move Gasol.

The media will turn this into a Kobe V Dwight situation, but they'll still be able to play together.

The catalyst of the Kobe V Shaq saga wasn't their on and off court hostility. That had existed for years and they were still able to win chips together.

The real catalyst was Kobe feeling like he could do it on his own and didn't need Shaq. After that point, you get ultimatums. That's not the case anymore.

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 04:10:19 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

The media will turn this into a Kobe V Dwight situation, but they'll still be able to play together.

The catalyst of the Kobe V Shaq saga wasn't their on and off court hostility. That had existed for years and they were still able to win chips together.

The real catalyst was Kobe feeling like he could do it on his own and didn't need Shaq. After that point, you get ultimatums. That's not the case anymore.

Lol it's already happening.

Hypocrite Howard dragging Lakers down

This is the problem with bringing in clubhouse cancers, no matter the talent, size or potential behind the malignancy. This is why LeBron James became an even better player — an NBA champion — once he became a better guy. This is why the seductive power of the beautiful and the powerful is a siren song leading nowhere good if not counterbalanced by some character, some introspection, some maturity.

http://www.foxsportswest.com/pages/mobile_landing?nomsn=1full_args=01/07/13/Hypocrite-Howard-dragging-Lakers-down/landing&blockID=846023&feedID=7972

Amazing... I guess the expectations were just too high with "4 future HOFers" Howard isn't mentally tough enough to stay in LA for this. He never really wanted to be there in the first place because everyone said he was just trying to do Shaq.

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
In case nobody posted this yet:

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 10:33:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
As much as I like to see the Lakers losing and struggling, I'm a bit averse at seeing them in the lottery. That could re-energize the franchise in a big way next season.

I'd rather they sneak in to the playoffs and get embarrassed there.

Yep, me too. They have a great infrastructure there. Great for developing those high risk / high reward type prospects. I'd be worried about them getting another Andrew Bynum with another late lotto pick like they did a few years ago. Some with talent they can mold, develop and turn into an extremely valuable player.

At least it's not much of an issue for now. Lakers aren't far from one of those late playoff seeds. I still expect them to get in.   

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
As much as I like to see the Lakers losing and struggling, I'm a bit averse at seeing them in the lottery. That could re-energize the franchise in a big way next season.

Yep, me too. They have a great infrastructure there. Great for developing those high risk / high reward type prospects. I'd be worried about them getting another Andrew Bynum with another late lotto pick like they did a few years ago. Some with talent they can mold, develop and turn into an extremely valuable player.

At least it's not much of an issue for now. Lakers aren't far from one of those late playoff seeds. I still expect them to get in.

Phoenix has their pick, non-lotto protected IIRC.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 10:50:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Phoenix has their pick, non-lotto protected IIRC.
Yes, I just read that in the other Lakers thread. The Pau + Dwight injuries.

So great, non-issue. No lotto pick for LA even if they fall apart.

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 11:13:58 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi