Author Topic: Love breaks hand - If I'm Minny I....  (Read 2448 times)

Love breaks hand - If I'm Minny I....
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
...think seriously about trading him now. They won't but they should, as the offers they get will just keep going down and down until he walks.

As George Karl recently noted, the Wolves seems to player more cohesively and with more heart when he's not on the floor. Like the Deron Williams situation in Utah, I'd move swiftly and decisively, get value, and move on.

Example:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bblxqom

Makes some sense for all teams. Regardless, the Love situation in Minny is going to get ugly.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Love breaks hand - If I'm Minny I....
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Terrible time to trade him.  His value would be down at the moment with the injuries. 

They control him for a few seasons.  Wait until he is hot again if the team really wants to trade him.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Terrible time to trade him.  His value would be down at the moment with the injuries. 

They control him for a few seasons.  Wait until he is hot again if the team really wants to trade him.
I still can't believe they gave him an opt out rather than meet his demands for a max contract.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Don't agree. Teams know exactly who Love is. While his injury doesn't help, the only thing that will dramatically reduce his trade value is time -- the longer the Wolves wait, the less leverage they have.

Are there any examples where a team waited to trade a disgruntled superstar heading towards early termination or end of their contract, and actually got better value for waiting?

I can't think of a single case...

Fafnir -- agree. Absurd. And now every NBA employee knows he's counting the seconds until his departure... including his teammates.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537

Kahn should just go ahead and trade Love for Jason Collins and be done with it.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Don't agree. Teams know exactly who Love is. While his injury doesn't help, the only thing that will dramatically reduce his trade value is time -- the longer the Wolves wait, the less leverage they have.

Are there any examples where a team waited to trade a disgruntled superstar heading towards early termination or end of their contract, and actually got better value for waiting?

The Hornets got a lot for CP3, the key is you can't wait FOREVER on it.

But the next two years of play and potential to convince Love to stick around and build a team around him and Rubio is of immense value. Trading him RIGHT NOW won't net value as high as that.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

But the next two years of play and potential to convince Love to stick around and build a team around him and Rubio is of immense value. Trading him RIGHT NOW won't net value as high as that.

They got a young SG with his own injury history problem. 

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Selling low on a player like Love is the worst thing Minnesota could do. Now, if they were to find some way to tank for a while with Rubio and Love still hurt, that would be good. Maybe give themselves a shot at a wing player.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 01:39:42 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

See my addition to the note above. What's the likelihood Love stays in in MIN? 10%? 5? Whatever it is, it's very low.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Fafnir -- agree. Absurd. And now every NBA employee knows he's counting the seconds until his departure... including his teammates.

Knowing how good he can be is why they make offers.

Looking at him being injured and not happy lowers the offers. 

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Knowing how good he can be is why they make offers.

Looking at him being injured and not happy lowers the offers.

He's been unhappy for many months. He's leaving. Teams know it.

It's possible the Wolves could get better value if he returns this year and has a tremendous (if short) run, but again... teams know who Love is. It's not going to increase significantly.

The more likely scenario is the offers they receive get worse over time based on proximity to his ETO. Why not move in the right direction now instead of waiting for the inevitable?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)