Author Topic: Boston/Denver Problem Solved?  (Read 16723 times)

Re: Boston/Denver Trade Idea
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Javale McGee's playing time seems to be decreasing because of problems understanding defensive schemes.  That suggests to me that he might not be a good fit in Boston.

I also think that Denver is willing to be patient in waiting for McGee to come around on defense.  And the Nuggets seem to prefer having depth, perhaps because it gives them an advantage when they play home games at high altitude.

For a guy that is predominantly a pick and roll/alley oop lobs kind of guy, he really really struggles defending the pick and roll.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Boston Sends:    Brandon Bass

Jason Terry OR Courtney Lee

Two 1st round picks

Denver Trades:   Javale Mcgee

Anthony Randolph

Considering how Denver has been playing Mcgee less and less with Koufus doing very well, they may be looking to move him. Randolph is getting end of the bench minutes, and I think he and Mcgee both would flourish with a more creative passing PG like Rondo.

Bass is more than serviceable for them, and they definitely could use another 2-guard in their rotation. Both Terry and Lee can run some PG also; so it's pretty much whichever Denver prefers.....Terry's veteran presence and 1 less year, or Lee's youth/speed/defensive ability. The two 1st rounders make it a Godfather offer.

(Assuming they choose Lee)

Our new depth chart looks like this:

Rondo/Terry/Bradley/Barbosa
Bradley/Terry/Barbosa
Pierce/Green/Sullinger
KG/Sullinger/Wilcox/Randolph
McGee/Collins/Wilcox

Looks a lot more balanced. In reality, we only sacrifice depth in our guard rotation and mid 1st round picks to acquire a major upgrade to anything we have as a starting center.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it for both sides? Does Denver hang up the phone? Does including Fab Melo somehow even it out? Does McGee turn it around being in Boston with KG/Doc?

Are you seeing what our first round pick (NUMBER 21!!!!!!) is doing to teams at the moment?

Why are we trading a clutch baller like terry and handing out first round picks like candy in order to obtain a player that many suspect is clinically retarded and cant defend the pick and roll.

I dont really want to go back to the early year form.
Okay so you managed to insult both the OP and one of the players involved in one fell swoop.  Nice.

This is not a terrible trade idea but would need a few tweaks.  I would not give up 1st round picks for example. I would also offer Terry not Lee and certainly NOT leave it up to Denver as to whom they prefer.  I like this discussion because Bass seems to have hit his ceiling and Terry is in the twilight of his career.  I'm not too excited about Randolph but McGee has nice upside. Without looking at the salaries I would probably do Bass/Terry for McGee.

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45

Two 1st round picks

Anthony Randolph

Considering how Denver has been playing Mcgee less and less with Koufus doing very well, they may be looking to move him. Randolph is getting end of the bench minutes, and I think he and Mcgee both would flourish with a more creative passing PG like Rondo.

Bass is more than serviceable for them, and they definitely could use another 2-guard in their rotation. Both Terry and Lee can run some PG also; so it's pretty much whichever Denver prefers.....Terry's veteran presence and 1 less year, or Lee's youth/speed/defensive ability. The two 1st rounders make it a Godfather offer.

Bradley/Terry/Barbosa
Pierce/Green/Sullinger
McGee/Collins/Wilcox

Looks a lot more balanced. In reality, we only sacrifice depth in our guard rotation and mid 1st round picks to acquire a major upgrade to anything we have as a starting center.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it for both sides? Does Denver hang up the phone? Does including Fab Melo somehow even it out? Does McGee turn it around being in Boston with KG/Doc?

Are you seeing what our first round pick (NUMBER 21!!!!!!) is doing to teams at the moment?

Why are we trading a clutch baller like terry and handing out first round picks like candy in order to obtain a player that many suspect is clinically retarded and cant defend the pick and roll.

Are you kidding me with this comment? How often are the Celtics pulling talent like Sullinger in the 20's? Does JR Giddens ring a bell? Jujuan Johnson? We did get Tony Allen/Delonte West in the 20's, but it's not like they didn't take time to develop.

Jared Sullinger is an absolute anomaly as far as your statement is concerned. He has hit a major stride recently, which I see him only building upon. Big hit. However, he was a surefire top 5 projected pick at points in his college days.......can't say the same about any of those other picks we made in that same range in the past.

Rondo is another anomaly. We bought him for cash.....he may have slid in to the 20's if Danny didn't swoop him up.

I don't think you would have called Mcgee "retarded" in Washington, when he was killing it enough to get the contract he's on. Ty Lawson has nowhere near the ball handling or passing ability that Rondo does, especially while driving to the basket. Mcgee is far greater than any other true-center this roster has.

PER 36-min, Mcgee has career averages of 15/10/3blocks/1.9 TO's. Isn't he making like just over 10-million per season? Those are a lot better numbers than Kendrick Perkins, who currently makes slightly less, and also does far less for his team (not to mention his contract basically forcing James Harden out the door).

Bass will be getting less and less minutes as Sullinger/Green improve and Wilcox gets back in the mix. Terry or Lee is more than expendable if it means bringing back a guy that will instantly start at Center for us.

How many games has the "clutch baller" Terry won for the team so far?

I also said that maybe we don't need to offer TWO 1st rounders to get this done. Either way I think it's a situation where you have to give something, to get something. A concept that many Celtics-bloggers do not understand what so ever...

Ok so you say denver may consider trading McGee because when he's not playing, they are still winning.

This suggests that they don't need him, and he does little to help their team.

So you want to trade two players and picks for this same guy, now that we are FINALLY bulding chemistry?

No thanks.  Last thing we need is the star cast member from "Shaqtin a Fool" coming in here and messing up the chemistry it's taken us so long to build.

Doc would have a heart attack watching all of those head scratching plays!

Is Bass responsible for this "chemistry" you speak of? Is Terry or Lee a major influence on the team's current "chemistry?" Or is it just that Green/Sullinger are providing consistent productivity at the same that Bradley has returned to revamp our defensive efforts?

Lee has turned it up, and Terry has been slightly better the past couple weeks.

IMO, any of these three (Bass/Lee/Terry) are nowhere near the "core" of what forms our "chemistry"......any team that has all it's players playing well, could attribute it to "chemistry". I would rather make a less abstract observation, and notice that we have been playing better defense, and have been making more shots. Therefore, winning has been a lot easier for the team lately. Again, Bass/Terry/Lee have not been the major factors in this win-streak, and are proving to be more expendable.

WE HAVE NO TRUE STARTING CENTER. KG is not going to make it through the playoffs playing his current role, and it also does a disservice to his game, and what he could bring predominantly at PF, his natural position.

Mcgee has not been the best interior defender on teams like Washinton and Denver, where the emphasis/coaching on defense hasn't really been there. Throw him in the mix next to KG, and watch what happens. He's a proven shot-blocking machine.

Re: Boston/Denver Problem Solved?
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2013, 04:04:18 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
No.  All the physical talent in the world, but we don't need dumb players on our team.

He's a lot more likely to cost you a game than he is to win you a game.

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
This guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feRfn_mA_OQ

No this guy  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8-maP-GQ6k

The issue is that we would be trading for both of them. And my guy would be on the court at least as much as your guy.

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen

Two 1st round picks

Anthony Randolph

Bradley/Terry/Barbosa
Pierce/Green/Sullinger
McGee/Collins/Wilcox

Are you kidding me with this comment? How often are the Celtics pulling talent like Sullinger in the 20's? Does JR Giddens ring a bell? Jujuan Johnson? We did get Tony Allen/Delonte West in the 20's, but it's not like they didn't take time to develop.

Jared Sullinger is an absolute anomaly as far as your statement is concerned. He has hit a major stride recently, which I see him only building upon. Big hit. However, he was a surefire top 5 projected pick at points in his college days.......can't say the same about any of those other picks we made in that same range in the past.

Rondo is another anomaly. We bought him for cash.....he may have slid in to the 20's if Danny didn't swoop him up.

I don't think you would have called Mcgee "retarded" in Washington, when he was killing it enough to get the contract he's on. Ty Lawson has nowhere near the ball handling or passing ability that Rondo does, especially while driving to the basket. Mcgee is far greater than any other true-center this roster has.

PER 36-min, Mcgee has career averages of 15/10/3blocks/1.9 TO's. Isn't he making like just over 10-million per season? Those are a lot better numbers than Kendrick Perkins, who currently makes slightly less, and also does far less for his team (not to mention his contract basically forcing James Harden out the door).

Bass will be getting less and less minutes as Sullinger/Green improve and Wilcox gets back in the mix. Terry or Lee is more than expendable if it means bringing back a guy that will instantly start at Center for us.

How many games has the "clutch baller" Terry won for the team so far?

I also said that maybe we don't need to offer TWO 1st rounders to get this done. Either way I think it's a situation where you have to give something, to get something. A concept that many Celtics-bloggers do not understand what so ever...

Ok so you say denver may consider trading McGee because when he's not playing, they are still winning.

This suggests that they don't need him, and he does little to help their team.

So you want to trade two players and picks for this same guy, now that we are FINALLY bulding chemistry?

No thanks.  Last thing we need is the star cast member from "Shaqtin a Fool" coming in here and messing up the chemistry it's taken us so long to build.

Doc would have a heart attack watching all of those head scratching plays!

Is Bass responsible for this "chemistry" you speak of? Is Terry or Lee a major influence on the team's current "chemistry?" Or is it just that Green/Sullinger are providing consistent productivity at the same that Bradley has returned to revamp our defensive efforts?

Lee has turned it up, and Terry has been slightly better the past couple weeks.

IMO, any of these three (Bass/Lee/Terry) are nowhere near the "core" of what forms our "chemistry"......any team that has all it's players playing well, could attribute it to "chemistry". I would rather make a less abstract observation, and notice that we have been playing better defense, and have been making more shots. Therefore, winning has been a lot easier for the team lately. Again, Bass/Terry/Lee have not been the major factors in this win-streak, and are proving to be more expendable.

WE HAVE NO TRUE STARTING CENTER. KG is not going to make it through the playoffs playing his current role, and it also does a disservice to his game, and what he could bring predominantly at PF, his natural position.

Mcgee has not been the best interior defender on teams like Washinton and Denver, where the emphasis/coaching on defense hasn't really been there. Throw him in the mix next to KG, and watch what happens. He's a proven shot-blocking machine.

"Noone ever gets anyone good in the 20s, but here's two 'anomaly' players that a single organization has happened to draft recently in the 20s that are very good players. I'll just leave out Avery Bradley at pick 19 because it supports my argument."

Please don't make me list all the very good players that have been drafted in the 20s.

Players much better than javale freakin McGee.

No GM is a basketball god that makes every draft the perfect one. You definitely don't throw away picks on javale McGee though. That guy doesn't win you a championship.

Bass,Lee,Melo,1st for McGee
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2013, 04:25:25 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I wouldn't give up Sully or Bradley, for him. But any combo of Jeff Green, Bass, Lee, Melo, Terry. Pick any two guys you want plus Melo plus a pick. I think it's a reasonable return for a Very disappointing 10 million dollar a year backup Center that averages 19 minutes per game.

Re: Bass,Lee,Melo,1st for McGee
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2013, 05:43:54 AM »

Offline CeltRJ9

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 06:03:30 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

I like McGee but he's not worth that much.

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2013, 06:29:10 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen

I like lee. And terry.

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2013, 06:40:58 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Is his asthma holding him back? He's playing 20 minutes a game despite his fantastic productivity.

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2013, 07:17:35 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
If he's "very disappointing" then why are we giving up two solid rotation players, a project with high upside AND a pick for him?

No way he's worth all of that.  I don't think I want him on this team anyway.