Author Topic: Louis Amundson or Ex-Celtic Chris Johnson From the T-Wolves?  (Read 1548 times)

Louis Amundson or Ex-Celtic Chris Johnson From the T-Wolves?
« on: January 30, 2013, 08:56:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I was an advocate for the Celtics using one of those empty roster spots to sign Chris Johnson, who is a tall and athletic if skinny big man with some people liked in his short stint with Boston.

Instead, he was signed to a ten-day contract by the Timberwolves, who were granted a temporary 16th roster spot due to a hardship exemption from having multiple players out for two or more weeks.

They have since signed him to a a second ten-day contract.  Then, they will face a decision.  I've read suggestions that they like him enough that they would consider trading the disappointing Louis Amundson so they can keep CJ (and Mickael Gelabale).  Amundson is an energy big who rebounds and defends, but whose offense has gone into the tank this season.  Some people were surprised he only ended up with the minimum salary. 

[I do sometimes wonder what the season would be like if Rondo wasn't injured and the Celtics had used the MLE to retain Stiemsma and sign a big like Amundson instead of Terry while still being able to get Lee and Barbosa.]

Either has the potential to be an upgrade over Wilcox/Collins as the fourth big in the Celtics rotation.   I'd prefer CJ because he has the potential to be a cheap option for the 4th/5th big with some upside and the team wouldn't have to give up a minimal asset to get him, if the T-Wolves decide not to sign him for the rest of the season.  He's also the significantly better shot-blocker, but both guys have better shot-blocking stats than the Celtics' current best.

It's not a huge upgrade or a season savior, but it's an opportunity for a cheap upgrade on the current roster.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Louis Amundson or Ex-Celtic Chris Johnson From the T-Wolves?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
I'd take CJ over that girl any day. I always liked his game here and the Collins pairing would be amazing!
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:31:55 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
I'd rather give a kid like Chris Wright (Red Claws) a shot.  He's a 6'8" uber-athletic PF who is coming off of a 25-20 game.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:37:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I thought Memphis signed Chris Johnson the other day.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 09:38:29 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I thought Memphis signed Chris Johnson the other day.

It was a false rumor from a bad tweet. Untrue.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"