Author Topic: High praise for Sullinger from Thorpe  (Read 8152 times)

Re: High praise for Sullinger from Thorpe
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
KG-like? No sir!!!

But man has he improved greatly! I was going in on his defense early this season b/c he was GARBAGE!! Now, he is one of our top defenders (I know that isn't saying much)... he is definitely running close with Bass on D and probably a bit better than Bass this season (Bass is better than given credit for although he was much better last season)! It really is shocking how much better he is... I didn't think he would be.

KG said a while back that Sully reminds him of Perk on D (also with how smart he is)... I guess that can only mean he has the tools and IQ to become even better!

Good job rook!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The Celtics offensive number and defensive numbers are better when he is on the court vs. off.  There has to be something behind that.

Now I wouldn't put him at KG level (that is a rare group in the NBA that has that level of impact), but I could believe he is playing good rookie defense.
I'd be happy if he reaches a Brandon Bass level of defense from last year. Or Glen Davis level of defense.

But even that remains a work in progress at this point.

Sully's defense at this point is already better than Bass at any point as a Celtic.  Bass has been a poor defensive player as long as he's been here.

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Sully's defense at this point is already better than Bass at any point as a Celtic.  Bass has been a poor defensive player as long as he's been here.
Yeah. No. He was a very good defensive player last year. And he doesn't foul like there's no tomorrow, either.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Comparing Bass's D and Sully's D isn't really fair.  Bass was here all last year had a long time to learn the system and figure out how to do his job.  Bass is a good veteran player.  Bass doesn't get the props for his D last year.  He played very well for us down the stretch.

Sully shouldn't be anywhere near his level on D right now.  But Sully has learned a lot in a very short amount of time.  He seems like his learning curve is just skyrocketing.  He knows how to use his body to be a better rebounder than Bass and that to me is a big part of playing effective D.

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 10:26:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah. No. He was a very good defensive player last year. And he doesn't foul like there's no tomorrow, either.

Yeah, statistically Bass was an amazing defender last year.  Bass ranked 16th in the NBA in terms of points allowed per possession.  He ranked 14th in isolation situations, 7th on post-ups, and 2nd covering the pick-and-roll man.

Again, that's due in part to the "KG factor", but Bass was playing legitimately good defense.  There's a reason that Doc was asking Bass to defend Lebron in the playoffs, as futile as that seemed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes