Author Topic: High praise for Sullinger from Thorpe  (Read 8142 times)

Re: High praise for Sullinger from Thorpe
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
And he is finally a big man that BOXES OUT! Its amazing how much difference this makes when a guy can get a good box out going.
Yet our defensive rebounding is the exact same with or without him on the court. Of course the C's box out an awful lot more than people like admit.

Where Sullinger really impacts the team is he crashes the offensive glass.

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
And he is finally a big man that BOXES OUT! Its amazing how much difference this makes when a guy can get a good box out going.
Yet our defensive rebounding is the exact same with or without him on the court. Of course the C's box out an awful lot more than people like admit.

no argument from me, but leaving aside the stats and as a fan, it sure is nice to see the guy use his body to fight for and win rebounds in a way that guys like Green and Bass rarely do.

for me, this tends to lead to clapping and cheering instead of groaning and hair being pulled out..
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Sullinger has dominated the boards while on the floor, is a very smart passer, does a great job of finding buckets for himself, and has absolutely shocked me with his ability to talk on defense and cover up for his teammates under the rim.

Once he pulls back on the fouls (this is also partially the refs rookie treatment) he's going to be great.

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 11:50:49 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Statistically, Sullinger's defense has been excellent across the board.  Now, some of this is the "KG Effect", as Stiemer and Bass both were statistically top defenders last year, too.  However, numbers suggest Sully is doing a good job out there:

Sully's Points per possession allowed:

Overall:  .73 (rank: 26th in the entire NBA)
Isolation: .62 (31st)
Post-up: .69 (32nd)
P&R Man: .92 (27th)
Spot Up: .76 (41st)

KG's Points per possession allowed:

Overall:  .74 (rank: 29th in the entire NBA)
Isolation: .55 (16th)
Post-up: .63 (17th)
P&R Man: .86 (22nd)
Spot Up: .84 (73rd)
I wonder where KG's poor (relatively) spot up defense comes from. The only thing I can think of is he is a great help defender which puts him out of position to contest pick and pops.

To make some points about various comments earlier:
1. I don't think Sully is short but his lack of leaping ability makes him seem undersized when he actually isn't.
2. Although I don't expect him to get much quicker or jump much higher throughout his career I do expect him to improve his athleticism. The way he will do this is by getting stronger. David West and Zach Randolph are two players with limited verts that I think compare to sully.
3. As to him reacting like Perk when he commits a foul, I don't think it's that bad. He is getting the standard unathletic (in the refs view) treatment. This is similar to the white stiff treatment that Stiemsma got last year. As he continues to improve he will get the benefit of the doubt and won't have to argue calls.
4. Even if he doesn't block shots he is in the right place to persuade drivers not to attack the paint. This is just as valuable as blocking a shot.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 11:53:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm guessing the PPP on spot ups has something to do with the scheme and type of players both are.

Big Men are expected to blitz and rotate so they're often out of position and responsible for closing out on three pointers of guards after the ball gets swung several times. It isn't just the big men taking pick and pop shots to get the number that high in all likelyhood.

Combine that with KG's tendency to roam and help I can how that'd occur.

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Sullinger has dominated the boards while on the floor, is a very smart passer, does a great job of finding buckets for himself, and has absolutely shocked me with his ability to talk on defense and cover up for his teammates under the rim.

Once he pulls back on the fouls (this is also partially the refs rookie treatment) he's going to be great.

Sullinger currently has a better REB% than KG has ever posted in a whole season as a Celtic.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Very true.  Relative to other nba teams, I don't think the celtics have a problem of not boxing out on the defensive end.  And boxing out on the offensive end is kind of a weird concept since an offensive player shouldn't be between his man and the hoop (or should be fed a pass if he is)
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Sullinger currently has a better REB% than KG has ever posted in a whole season as a Celtic.

Technically, true. His REB% is 17.6; KG's best as a Celtic was 17.5.

However, look at defensive rebounding percentage. Sully is 22.4%. KG has not been below 24.8% as a Celtic.

Now look at offensive rebounding percentages. Sully is 12.7%. KG has never been in the double digits in his career for offensive rebounding percentages.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying Sully is a better player, or will be a better player, than KG. KG is my favorite basketball player of all time. However, I still think it is interesting)

Sully KILLS it on the boards ...  it wasn't until his 4th season in the league that KG had rebounding numbers as good as that.

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 12:19:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Technically, true. His REB% is 17.6; KG's best as a Celtic was 17.5.

However, look at defensive rebounding percentage. Sully is 22.4%. KG has not been below 24.8% as a Celtic.

Now look at offensive rebounding percentages. Sully is 12.7%. KG has never been in the double digits in his career for offensive rebounding percentages.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying Sully is a better player, or will be a better player, than KG. KG is my favorite basketball player of all time. However, I still think it is interesting)

Sully KILLS it on the boards ...  it wasn't until his 4th season in the league that KG had rebounding numbers as good as that.
Combination of KG being more of a stick than Sullinger at the same ages and the fact that they put KG at SF a lot till Googs left the team (got injured, can't recall how he left Minny).

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 12:45:17 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'm guessing the PPP on spot ups has something to do with the scheme and type of players both are.

Big Men are expected to blitz and rotate so they're often out of position and responsible for closing out on three pointers of guards after the ball gets swung several times. It isn't just the big men taking pick and pop shots to get the number that high in all likelyhood.

Does sample size have anything to do with it?  My guess was that opposing centers aren't taking many spot ups compared to PFs.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 12:59:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sully may well be one of the best below the rim rebounders in the game in another 1-2 years. 

Heck , he could be still growing for all we know , he is so young.

Lebron does stuff because of his el- freak -o athletic ability for his size.  Sully  is all work ethic and IQ.

He has a nose for rebounds no doubt and I love watching him work in the paint.

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
Wait, what?!

I'm sorry, this is national-coverage nonsense. Rebounding is not defense. Also, Thorpe must have fallen asleep on the fact that Sullinger can't stop fouling.

Sullinger isn't fouling. He is, however, being called for fouls. I like the fact that he has a smirk on his face when he gets called for a foul that he knows he will not get called for someday soon. He already has the attitude of a star and he knows he just has to put in his time

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Wait, what?!

I'm sorry, this is national-coverage nonsense. Rebounding is not defense. Also, Thorpe must have fallen asleep on the fact that Sullinger can't stop fouling.

Sullinger isn't fouling. He is, however, being called for fouls. I like the fact that he has a smirk on his face when he gets called for a foul that he knows he will not get called for someday soon. He already has the attitude of a star and he knows he just has to put in his time

Yes, I would say 70% of the fouls called on him are not fouls. I know he's a rookie and gets the rookie treatment from refs, but it seems to me they target him even more than most rookies.

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Does sample size have anything to do with it?  My guess was that opposing centers aren't taking many spot ups compared to PFs.
I can't look at that data at work, but I'd imagine that there are a fair number of spot up plays. Its not just opposing centers, but whenever KG closes out on a shooter.

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 07:17:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZm_laBbEb4

tribute to Sully offensive rebounding ways.

Kid is so sneaky in the inside. He won't always rebound from the same spot and seems to know how ball bounces off the rim and backboards. Plus never gives up on plays, even after he misses, and gets his own rebounds. Rodman had these qualities too

I love the bully type rebounds where he just will bulldoze his way in when least expected. Love the hustle and fearlessness.

I somehow missed the nov 25th game vs orlando, but this clip quenches the question as to who would win a matchup downlow of bbd vs sully. Sully just had his way with bbd also.

Like to see how sully would fare with Drummond next.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:25:51 PM by triboy16f »