Author Topic: Tony Allen  (Read 10315 times)

Re: Tony Allen
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 09:05:48 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Bipolar C's fans clowned Tony Allen when he was in Green for all his miscues. Now that he is excelling in Memphis, they pretend to have loved TA all along and it was a huge mistake not re-signing Tony. Make up your mind people.
He's "excelling in Memphis"? He's exactly the same player he has always been - if not worse this season. He had a big night against the Celtics, something he was definitely capable of before (once in 10 games or so). Please.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 09:54:53 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Bradley is as good of a disruptive defender, but smarter and a better offensive player. Move on.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:18:01 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Bipolar C's fans clowned Tony Allen when he was in Green for all his miscues. Now that he is excelling in Memphis, they pretend to have loved TA all along and it was a huge mistake not re-signing Tony. Make up your mind people.
He's "excelling in Memphis"? He's exactly the same player he has always been - if not worse this season. He had a big night against the Celtics, something he was definitely capable of before (once in 10 games or so). Please.

2 years in Memphis

NBA All-Defensive First Team (2012)
NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2011)

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 11:29:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

2 years in Memphis

He was all defense worthy with the Celtics too, just didn't get the publicity or the minutes for people to vote for him.

Same player expanded role in that he gets 10 minutes more per game. 26 instead of 16.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

2 years in Memphis

Yep, that's what moving to the starting lineup and not being in the shadow of four allstars will do to you.

Welcome to the NBA, the league of perceptions.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 12:36:31 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Right on.  I've never seen fans act so bipolar about a player in my life.  Good Tony and bad Tony hahaha?  What in the world is that?  A player is the sum of his parts.  He was always the same.  Sometimes he found no rhythm/confidence in those 10-15 minutes, but when he did he locked players down and then dunked on them in transition.  That's not good Tony, that's people failing to understand who he was.  As if players don't have ups and downs.... And as if always recovering from injury doesn't add to that.

I mean the amount of times I saw "I hate Tony Allen" on this site is absurd.  Hate.  You'd think he turned the ball over more than anyone in the league.  He wasn't even the most turnover prone guy on our team.  Perk was.  You didn't see anyone scapegoating "bad Perk" when he didn't bring anything to a game other than defense.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 12:54:25 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
I was a HUGE tony allen supporter back then, but he wanted to get out of Rays shadow and have a chance to start.  At that time there was absolutely no way he was going to start over Ray, and he wanted to be paid like a starter so there is no way we could have afforded to keep him.

Is he a talented player?  Yes
Should we want as much talent on this team? Yes
Would he have fit our roster then and/or now?  No

Bradley is our starter, Jet is our bench scorer and Lee fills in the gaps.  That's as good as a 2 position depth you can hope for. 

Tony is a good player and at the time I wanted him on the team but he was adamant he wanted to play somewhere else.  It is what it is.  I still think he has the potential to be a 15 point scorer with lock down defense.  He was on a monster stretch before his injury which set him back quite a bit.

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Right on.  I've never seen fans act so bipolar about a player in my life.  Good Tony and bad Tony hahaha?  What in the world is that?  A player is the sum of his parts.  He was always the same.  Sometimes he found no rhythm/confidence in those 10-15 minutes, but when he did he locked players down and then dunked on them in transition.  That's not good Tony, that's people failing to understand who he was.  As if players don't have ups and downs.... And as if always recovering from injury doesn't add to that.

I mean the amount of times I saw "I hate Tony Allen" on this site is absurd.  Hate.  You'd think he turned the ball over more than anyone in the league.  He wasn't even the most turnover prone guy on our team.  Perk was.  You didn't see anyone scapegoating "bad Perk" when he didn't bring anything to a game other than defense.
Perkins is more turnover prone by advanced stats  (TOV%) because he'd get called for moving screens a lot and didn't shoot much.

Tony Allen turned the ball over more per minute several years in Boston and his turnovers were usually dribbling the ball off his foot as he drove.

I'd cringe whenever Perkins posted up, as he was awful at turning it over in the post, but I'd cringe just as much whenever Tony "touched" the ball and looked like he wanted to drive.

Fortunately for Tony's career that's gotten better, in large part I think because he's no longer paired up with Rondo. Floor spacing was always bad with those two.

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 02:07:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Perkins is more turnover prone by advanced stats  (TOV%) because he'd get called for moving screens a lot and didn't shoot much.

Tony Allen turned the ball over more per minute several years in Boston and his turnovers were usually dribbling the ball off his foot as he drove.

I'd cringe whenever Perkins posted up, as he was awful at turning it over in the post, but I'd cringe just as much whenever Tony "touched" the ball and looked like he wanted to drive.

Fortunately for Tony's career that's gotten better, in large part I think because he's no longer paired up with Rondo. Floor spacing was always bad with those two.

Don't have time for it, but I recall doing a study of TA during the playoffs, and didn't turn the ball over all that much during that time. In fact, he barely turned it over if I recall correctly.

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 02:10:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Don't have time for it, but I recall doing a study of TA during the playoffs, and didn't turn the ball over all that much during that time. In fact, he barely turned it over if I recall correctly.
Yeah his last year in Boston he cut his turnover rate down, definite improvement from him. He then cut it even more in Memphis.

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Yeah his last year in Boston he cut his turnover rate down, definite improvement from him. He then cut it even more in Memphis.

Part of it probably due to during the playoffs Rondo was on the floor more, and also Doc stopped using him as a PG.

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 02:35:17 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
People forget that Tony was starting to look like a semi-franchise player the 2 months prior to his ACL injury where he was given starter minutes.

He was doing something like 18 PPG, 4 RPG, 52%FG,  4 APG, 2 SPG, 1 BPG during that 20-30 game stretch or whatever it was along with good defense.

Again, I was a HUGE tony supporter, but he made it clear what he wanted and we simply could not give it to him.  He would be a great piece for any team, but he's not a starter on a championship team unless the rest of the starters are CP3, LBJ and an elite bigman with good range.  Given his price and role demands it simply was not in the cards.

Same situation as Glen Davis minus a whole lot of whining, immaturity and unprofesionalism. 

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 02:38:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
People forget that Tony was starting to look like a semi-franchise player the 2 months prior to his ACL injury where he was given starter minutes.

He was doing something like 18 PPG, 4 RPG, 52%FG,  4 APG, 2 SPG, 1 BPG during that 20-30 game stretch or whatever it was along with good defense.

Again, I was a HUGE tony supporter, but he made it clear what he wanted and we simply could not give it to him.  He would be a great piece for any team, but he's not a starter on a championship team unless the rest of the starters are CP3, LBJ and an elite bigman with good range.  Given his price and role demands it simply was not in the cards.

Same situation as Glen Davis minus a whole lot of whining, immaturity and unprofesionalism.

Again, the scenario you're painting is just untrue. He wanted to stay, he had no problem with his role, he wanted more years, Danny drew the line at 2 years, he didn't ask for a big contract, equal money that Memphis gave him would've sufficed... which wasn't much.

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 02:47:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Tony Allen is just your typical love hate relationship player. He does great great things and you love him for it. Then he makes crazy bonehead plays and you can't believe he did it. He's just one of those players and he is still playing the same way in Memphis.

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I was never a huge Tony fan; I thought he was too turnover prone and was injured too much to commit to long-term.

I was wrong about that, though.  Letting Tony walk was a big mistake, especially considering that he was our backup small forward.  If we never let Tony walk, we probably never make the Perk trade, and we're probably in a better place in 2011.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes